Do You Ever Just Look At Your Guitars?

sax4blues

Poster Extraordinaire
I do. The “Bird Hate” thread made me realize I really like the look of each all my guitars, which includes a Silver Sky (I chose maple because the way the birds look). Every time I play I’ll flip the guitar over and just admire the one I’m playing.

Last edited:

Tele-friend

Tele-Afflicted
As much as guitars are instruments for making music, I also see them as a piece of art. Of course they are beautiful and sometimes I take some time just looking at them and feeling thankful for all the guitars I have 🎸😎

WingedWords

Friend of Leo's
My Mule lives on the couch in the living room. I claim it's so I can play it whenever I have a moment, but it's really so I can look at it.

20200812_112506.jpg

runstendt

Tele-Meister
I usually do not have the space, time, or reason to spend much time looking at my guitars, particularly more than one at a time, but I always admire them when I do. I do love to study them after a restring and polish, though, because they look stunning glistening in the light, ready to be played.

brookdalebill

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Yup!
I like the way all of my guitars look.
If I don’t at first, I mod them till I do.
I even buy guitars I like the look of, for that shallow reason only.
It’s as close as I’ll ever come to art collecting, I suppose.
Gibson SGs, 335s, Firebirds, and Fender Strats and Jazzmasters all look fantastic.
I like the way Firebirds sound, too.
The others, less so.

stxrus

Poster Extraordinaire
Maybe I’m the odd man out here but no. Even when everything was hung on the wall and getting a lot of play time I can’t remember a time I just stared at them as a whole or individually

If they didn’t have an appealing aesthetic I wouldn’t own them

StrangerNY

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
It started when I was a kid and got my first Fender, an Oly White Mustang. I leaned it up against the nightstand by my bed so it would be the last thing I saw before I went to sleep and the first thing I saw when I woke up.

I always have a small amp rig set up in my office, with a single guitar stand. As I bring out different guitars to practice on, I'll leave them on the stand so I can catch an occasional glance at them in between whatever else it is I'm doing that day.

- D

Larry F

Doctor of Teleocity
Vendor Member
I do what I can to make my environment lure me to my studio. Being able to look at my guitars upstairs is still a bit of s thrill. I remember certain rock and roll photos that had a Strat, Tele, Les Paul Custom, and 335. Sometimes the look of an instrument takes on an iconic role in some photos, but not necessarily ads.

Peegoo

Doctor of Teleocity
I leaned it up against the nightstand by my bed so it would be the last thing I saw before I went to sleep and the first thing I saw when I woke up.

Les Paul (P.B.U.H.) used to tell an identical story.

A guitar is functional art. It is not only a cultural icon--it's an object filled with unlimited possibilities. A guitar's look gives me the same feeling I get when I'm walking through an industrial tool store or a lumber yard: think of the possibilities!