Do you ever just feel like you're over a certain guitar or type of guitar?

Telenator

Doctor of Teleocity
Vendor Member
Whenever I start thinking in terms of "being over something" it makes me realize that there's really nowhere to go from there.
Starting with a negative, dismissive statement dooms you to halting all progress because it's a statement of defeat.

When I think in terms that I'd like to explore the new territory, that comes from a positive intention and is the beginning of making new progress with the things I already have.

For me, holding gear responsible is not the best point to start from. Sure, a new guitar is fun and may kindle some inspiration, but it's still an iffy solution. Starting from the perspective of "I intend to learn new and inspiring things to play," most always yields a more positive result.

haggardfan1

Friend of Leo's
I think I'm over dreadnought acoustics. I've only owned one that wasn't, and it was a Yamaha APX something that sounded terrible unplugged.

I've discovered that a 000 size guitar is way more comfortable for me, and I am seriously looking for the One.

I have two Affinity Tele's and two dreadnought acoustic-electrics I would trade towards one keeper 000, no cutaway, electronics on-board. I'm really leaning towards a Yamaha Transacoustic, I think it's an FS-TA.

Baron_63 Canada

TDPRI Member
I've had my MIM Classic 50s Strat for over 10 years. It used to be my main instrument when I was a dyed-in-the-wool Strat fan (seriously, if I discovered new players, I'd think, "Man, imagine what they could sound like on a Strat!"). I never really liked the neck profile (which I felt was on the thin side for me, the V was no problem) but it was all I could afford that had a vintage-y vibe to it (small frets, 7.25" radius) at the time.

A few years back, I started gravitating towards two-pickup guitars. The in-between sounds were more what I was getting into. Once I got my first Tele-style guitar (a G&L ASAT Classic), the Strat pretty much became a #2 or even #3 for me. When I would play the Strat, I'd be reminded of others' Strat tones (e.g. "Hey, I'm sounding like Knopfler tonight..."). With two-pickup guitars, I'm reminded of certain players at times (e.g. Robert Lockwood Jr., Bill Frisell, etc.) but I don't seem to think about that as much when I'm playing...it's like I'm more focused on sounding like me.

I've considered selling the Strat since then but I've had it modified a little and banged it up quite a bit so it's really not worth much. Plus, I feel like I'd regret it or suddenly have a need for a Strat as soon as I sell it.

Earlier this week, I took the Strat out for the first time in a while. It's still in tune and plays well. However, I just didn't feel anything. I wasn't inspired to play it. I plugged it in and found it sounded a little harsh. It was almost as if there was no more music to be found in it. I'm not even sure it would be different if I had/bought a different type of Strat.

Any one else ever go off a guitar or a type of guitar like that?
I feel for you.

Recently purchased an IYV red Custom Telecaster (reverse-engineered) with 2 P-90s that really sings, chimes, without feedback. Cool:)

Currently creating a "Frankenstrat": an original Donner HSS model 100, purchased pre-Covid. By the time I am complete, for my satisfaction, my net result will be a contender for best of class, for less than an original "name brand".

Be creative with swapping parts, within a budget. Plus, it helps that you have a trustworthy amp, whatever it may be. I enjoy both tube and solid state; again, your choice and budget.

Most of all, find your divine karma with whatever you choose: my ears are not your's...trust yourself.

Enjoy your music, fellow musician.

Best wishes, Ken in Canada.

Chicago Matt

Friend of Leo's
50 years ago the Les Paul was my go to guitar. For the past 40 years though, I've had no use for one. I recently sold my last one, and don't miss it.