Do you ever just feel like you're over a certain guitar or type of guitar?

brookdalebill

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Me too.

I had a red Squier Strat for a couple of years, didn't get on with it.

Not because it was a Squier, but because it was a Strat - the wiggle stick (even after I'd 'blocked' it), knobs in the wrong places, too many pickups, the 'quacky' business, nah, just not for me.
Strats do have a couple of unique charms, they’re comfortable to play, and they have many tones.
Many of the things you mention are the things that really bug me.
The tremolo system, and the reverb-ey sound the trem springs impart bug me most.
All three pots are right in my picking hand’s way.
I either knock into them when I play, or hit them, and unintentionally turn myself down.
I never use any of the pots, so they’re useless to me.
The guitar sounds best “wide open”, IMO.
Three of the five switch positions hum terribly.
I only really like the sound of the neck pickup.
The other settings just sound scrawny to me.
I do own one nice, lightweight hardtail, with good sounding, and (almost) dead quiet Kinman pickups.
I’ll eventually get a new pick guard made, and excise all the pots.

Willie Johnson

Friend of Leo's
I'm a little over Strats. My American Standard from the early 90's has always been good-but-not-great, and my Squier Standard is a nice instrument, but find myself reaching for other guitars first. I block my trems and like the springy tone of a Strat bridge, but I like my Tele-types better these days.

Milspec

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Went through the same discovery with my Strats about 5 years ago. Got rid of all except for one Strat-Plus just in case I get the itch down the road. I think that once you find "your sound" you also found your gear. When that happens, the rest of the stuff just becomes clutter.

tfarny

Poster Extraordinaire
Also strats, they just don't work for me. I think Les Pauls are in the same category but I would need to buy another one and get rid of it later on at a loss, just to be sure.

I might be "over" my acoustic 12 string but it's not worth much money and hard to sell. It sounds great and in theory I love it, but I'm not going to play it in a band, so it sits.

burntfrijoles

Doctor of Teleocity
Sure, I’ve fallen in and out of love with guitars. I actually feel that way with the 63 NOS Tele that I customed ordered 11 years ago. I still love the neck and the overall feel of it but it’s tones are uninspiring to me.
My 000-18 is collecting dust right now. I prefer my Gibson.
I just try to remember that some guitars “fit” a song better than others. My Strat is my #1 sometimes but sometimes I need a Tele or an LP.
So, even though I love My Tele less, I’ll keep her around.

Synchro

Tele-Holic
Went through the same discovery with my Strats about 5 years ago. Got rid of all except for one Strat-Plus just in case I get the itch down the road. I think that once you find "your sound" you also found your gear. When that happens, the rest of the stuff just becomes clutter.
That strikes me as a balanced approach. I’m not particularly a Strat guy, and haven’t owned one in years, but I can see the utility of a Strat, and even if it is rarely played, its not a bad thing to have around.

985plowboy

Poster Extraordinaire
Now I think I may have no future use for my 80s Gibson Explorer?
I’ve also been there done that with Strats. Now I’m looking at Explorers!
The circle goes round and round.

I think it’s human nature to want/be curious about what we don’t have.
Wouldn’t our world be a boring place if it weren’t?

dogmeat

Friend of Leo's
strats. owned a few, sold a few, played them 25+ years. I'd have another if it fell into my hands. no plans to look for another

Weazel

Tele-Afflicted
That term 'over' seems so ridiculous to me. You liked something, now you don't? Move the hell on. No need to announce it.

'Over' a guitar? You desired something, now you don't? Did you break up with the guitar? Again, move on and live with your dark secret in silence.

What am I missing? Is this just a younger gen thing where you have to announce every emotion you have?
And here you are, announcing your emotion.

Nice.

On topic: I have several guitars, mostly tele types, but I have one strat (new from 1981/82) which I have an on and off relationship with. I will never let it go though, because the 'on' is so good! It is normally the one I will take to studio work. It is modified beyond recognition and has the perfect neck for me.

However I assembled a T-style 60' Custom with a double bound SB body some 10 years ago. Never bonded with it. I let it go. It was a beautiful guitar to look at though.

Last edited:

JIMMY JAZZMAN

Tele-Afflicted
Guitars and women. No, I'm not a sexist. You bust your butt to get the guitar (woman) you want.
Treat it right, maintain all the parts, really sounding great, then BAM, your good eye sees another guitar,
perhaps with better pickups, fretboard, maybe even locking tuners (wink-wink) and you go ga-ga
over it. It's an evil web we weave, trust me on this. Get the guitar you really, really want, need, desire.
Oh to be free of the wandering eyeball and the wandering heart. And by the way: She'll like it too.

brookdalebill

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Jazzmasters, too.
I have owned a few, my first Fender was an L plate (63-64) sunburst Jazzmaster, acquired by my Dad in 1970 for $250.
I was a grateful 13 year old.
They play beautifully, but are sonically a little uninspiring, IMO.

bgmacaw

Doctor of Teleocity
This is why I've built up a large collection of guitars. I have a few out to play and the rest stored. If I get tired of one I have out, I swap it with one in storage.

Fiesta Red

Poster Extraordinaire
While I’ve written off specific guitars that I owned/played for a long period of time, I’ve never really written off a specific type of guitar that I owned/played for a long period time.

For example, I didn’t bond with the (second) 1983 G&L Nighthawk (an SLO—Strat-Like-Object) I owned (the first one was awesome, but needed to make a house payment); I love my Stratocaster, but I don’t know if I’ll ever get another Strat or SLO.

I tried but didn’t bond with my Fender Modern Player Telecaster Thinline Deluxe, either…but I will try other Nighthawks/Skyhawks (if I can find one) and other Thinlines (I didn’t like the way the MPTTD’s 22-fret neck joined the body nor the pickups).

I have written off certain types of guitars—especially anything with a Floyd Rose—but I've never owned those or made them a part of my guitarsenal. I tried them, even played jam sessions with them, but I just don’t like them. I also dislike guitars with the Jazzmaster/Jaguar vibrato unit, anything headless, fanned-fret, shredderific or short scale.

Don’t @ me.

Last edited:

SixStringSlinger

Poster Extraordinaire
It’s happened to me. Sometimes I just don’t get to like/appreciate the quirks of a particular guitar, in a way that I can’t mod away (or where the mods would make the guitar like another, thereby killing the point of having both).

I don’t like when it happens, because it always brings a degree of disappointment, but on the plus side it means I have something to sell/trade toward something else. And life goes on.

The only time I regretted being over a guitar (and, as a result, selling it) was my Ibanez Jet King II. I wanted my first one to be my Les Paul killer and it wasn’t that, so I moved it along. Then I got an LP and realized the Jet King had something I missed, so I got another one :lol:

What am I missing? Is this just a younger gen thing where you have to announce every emotion you have?

The horror! The absolute horror!

And they way they force it into your ears! And your EYES!

bobio

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter

Do you ever just feel like you're over a certain guitar or type of guitar?​

I haven't played every type of guitar out there, but if there is one I am "over", I haven't found it yet 🤷‍♂️

Boxla

Tele-Holic
Funny you mention the Strat. I am what I would consider a Tele tone lover and have played my Tele since 1993. I also have a PRS that I bought new in '97 and a LP and a Custom Strat and a few others. Then, about 6 or so years ago I got my first Ernie Ball Music Man Axis Super Sport. It immediately made me put down all of my other guitars mainly due to the neck and overall feel. But, I'm not a huge double humbucker guy so I searched out and bought another Axis but this time a Sport with two MM90 soapbar pickups. A few years went by and I really wanted to find the rarer single coil Strat style Sport that Music Man made for a few years. I finally found one. But I then realized that I'm not looking for a Strat tone anymore. Pretty much for the same reasons the OP mentions. My MM90 is my #1 go to. I prefer the tone of it, or my Tele or my Axis that I converted to a Tele vs the single coil strat tone all day long.

Boxla

Tele-Holic
Never say never, but sold all my electrics and amps, went acoustic, and I haven't played an electric guitar in over 5yrs. Haven't missed electricity not one day since.
I was kind of the opposite of you. From 1990-2000 I played electric in a few bands and racked up several hundred shows hitting the road. Then in 2000 the electrics got put away and I went 100% acoustic for about 14 years. I didn't know if I'd ever go electric again. Then a new band called, I dusted off my electrics and have been electric for the past 8 years. I think I'll die with an electric guitar in my hands. They take up 99% of my playing time and 99% of that time is playing unplugged on my couch or in bed. I love the sound of an unplugged electric. Although I have a couple of Taylors and a custom hand made acoustic, when I play acoustic I usually grab by nylon string.