Do you ever just feel like you're over a certain guitar or type of guitar?

srblue5

Tele-Afflicted
I've had my MIM Classic 50s Strat for over 10 years. It used to be my main instrument when I was a dyed-in-the-wool Strat fan (seriously, if I discovered new players, I'd think, "Man, imagine what they could sound like on a Strat!"). I never really liked the neck profile (which I felt was on the thin side for me, the V was no problem) but it was all I could afford that had a vintage-y vibe to it (small frets, 7.25" radius) at the time.

A few years back, I started gravitating towards two-pickup guitars. The in-between sounds were more what I was getting into. Once I got my first Tele-style guitar (a G&L ASAT Classic), the Strat pretty much became a #2 or even #3 for me. When I would play the Strat, I'd be reminded of others' Strat tones (e.g. "Hey, I'm sounding like Knopfler tonight..."). With two-pickup guitars, I'm reminded of certain players at times (e.g. Robert Lockwood Jr., Bill Frisell, etc.) but I don't seem to think about that as much when I'm playing...it's like I'm more focused on sounding like me.

I've considered selling the Strat since then but I've had it modified a little and banged it up quite a bit so it's really not worth much. Plus, I feel like I'd regret it or suddenly have a need for a Strat as soon as I sell it.

Earlier this week, I took the Strat out for the first time in a while. It's still in tune and plays well. However, I just didn't feel anything. I wasn't inspired to play it. I plugged it in and found it sounded a little harsh. It was almost as if there was no more music to be found in it. I'm not even sure it would be different if I had/bought a different type of Strat.

Any one else ever go off a guitar or a type of guitar like that?

RobRiggs

Tele-Afflicted
I sold my last SG. Thin neck, tilt-happy, difficult to keep in tune. I got tired of trying to make it work for me. Sold it to a friend that loves it.

telleutelleme

Telefied
Ad Free Member
SG, and 12 String anything. I have an Ibanez GB10 I am unsure about, but I am kinda sure it is me.

Lone_Poor_Boy

Tele-Afflicted
That term 'over' seems so ridiculous to me. You liked something, now you don't? Move the hell on. No need to announce it.

'Over' a guitar? You desired something, now you don't? Did you break up with the guitar? Again, move on and live with your dark secret in silence.

What am I missing? Is this just a younger gen thing where you have to announce every emotion you have?

Synchro

Tele-Holic
Success is never final. Failure is never fatal. - Churchill

With the above in mind, I would suggest that a guitar which falls from favor may not be a permanent situation. I have a collection of guitars, and will find myself favoring different guitars, at different times. Even the guitars that get the least use, overall, will have their day, and I remember why I bought them, in the first place. Considering that you don’t feel it’s worth much, I’d hang onto it, and maybe consider setting it up to give you the option of selecting the neck and bridge pickups, together. You might find that option to your liking.

generic202

Tele-Meister
That term 'over' seems so ridiculous to me. You liked something, now you don't? Move the hell on. No need to announce it.

'Over' a guitar? You desired something, now you don't? Did you break up with the guitar? Again, move on and live with your dark secret in silence.

What am I missing? Is this just a younger gen thing where you have to announce every emotion you have?
You also could have just moved on without the need to announce your opinion about this thread, yet you have 🤣🤣

Anyway, I'm "over" headstock guitars. Ever since getting a Strandberg Boden 7 in 2018, now I only play/want headless guitars. Even my avatar is a converted headless "tele." To each their own.

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
It's been over many years now...

( selling guitars because they really weren't getting played, or, I just needed the $$),

... but now have just a handful of both electric and acoustic guitars ( all different styles) that I really love to play; all get used for gigs and home play.

Strat ( I have 1) is still my #1, since '97.

Mr. St. Paul

Tele-Holic
Yeah. Strats. Played them almost exclusively from 1988 to 2006. Then I went down the Les Paul rabbit hole for several years. In 2014, got the Tele bug. The last year or so, gravitating to hollow bodies and playing chord/melody jazz. I still like playing my LPs and Teles, but my Strats get no love. One thing I've realized as time goes on, I prefer single coils to humbuckers. I still enjoy plugging in my humbucker-equipped LPs and hearing that big tone, but Tele pickups and P-90s really do it for me at this point.

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I quit Strats in the 90s and came back to them around 2019 or so.
But single pickup or one had two bridge pickups and another had two HBs.
Now I think I may have no future use for my 80s Gibson Explorer?

Dismalhead

Poster Extraordinaire
Kinda. I'm a glutton for trying things out again and again like the idjut I am, so I'll sell or trade a guitar and then end up wanting it again.

Bought myself a Kramer shredder a few years back with a Floyd Rose. Same old problems I had back in the '80s - wouldn't quite hold tune, fine tuners would get stuck or not stick when you wanted them to, PITA to restring. Also didn't like how the trem wasn't recessed, thus limiting me whammy play. Sold it after messing with it for a couple of years.

Just last week I'm looking at FR shredders again...