Do you ever have dreams about guitars?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Verzila, Dec 8, 2019.

1. Verzila

Verzila Tele-Meister

I sometimes have a dream where I come across guitars that I have lying about the house but I forgot about because I never use them, or I'm reunited with guitars I had long ago. They're never guitars I actually DID have in real life, though - nor do they look like any guitars I can recognise. In the dream I always feel a lot of joy for re-discovering a favourite guitar.

Then there's the other dreams where I re-visit some town from my youth - Birmingham, Nottingham, Newcastle, Lincoln, Ludlow, all places I lived or spent time in. The places in my dreams don't resemble the actual place in any way, of course, but they're always the same and I can find my way through every street. I know where all the guitar shops are, and I always make a beeline for them, but when I get there they've never got what I want - in fact they've just got junk, assorted bodies and necks and bits and pieces.

I daresay Freud could make something of it, a yearning for something from my past, or it represents loss, etc. I don't know.

2. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I have dreams about guitars, but gladly not about ones I owned because they would be nightmares.

Fretting out likes this.
  3. RB522

RB522 Tele-Meister

Yes ! And in my dreams I can actually play them the way I wish that I could.

4. guitartwonk

guitartwonk Tele-Meister

Yes, I had a dream once about finding a 50s Strat in its original case etc, hardly played, in a grandparent's attic.

The dream ended before I got to take it away with me, sadly. In reality, none of my grandparents or parents are remotely musical so it's pure fantasy really.

5. Dreadnut

Dreadnut Tele-Meister

Unfortunately, in my dreams I'm at a gig and I can't find my guitar, or when I do it's broken. As in pieces.

drlucky likes this.
  6. stormsedge

stormsedge Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

No, but I will now...

Fretting out likes this.
  7. Chick-N-Picker

Chick-N-Picker Friend of Leo's

I used to, but haven't in sometime. I think I quit having dreams like that when I just came to the realization that I would never live my real life dreams. In fact now when I think of how I wanted things (my hopes & dreams) they seem....actually I don't know how to explain. But that's not what you asked about.

I remeber one dream a few years ago where me and daddy (passed away) went to a music store. It was so old amd dusty and they had some nice stuff. One was a 50's telecster and another was a black beauty les paul. They were both so awesome. I wanted them so badly in the dream. They were hung lown and sort of hidden. I would just keep looking at them. In my dream I played them, though not in the store which was kind of weird....so I knew how they sounded and played. I don't remeber much more details than that.

I also used to have dreams of playing in bands I wanted to play in. Or being in Nashville and playing music. It seemed so real and I was so happy. I haven't had one of those in a while either, in sleep or real life. Probably because I realize they are dead.

Mostly, all my sleep dreams are closer to nightmares now where it used to be a mix.

8. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

i had a dream few months back about a beautiful sunburst jazzmaster, which is strange because that has never been one of my bucket list guitars. I have seldom ever picked one up. was Somebody trying to tell me something?

Fretting out likes this.
  9. Blrfl

Blrfl Tele-Holic

I had one a few weeks ago while at a conference in Denver. There's a crew of about 150 that spends a couple of weeks setting up and operating a network for the show. (I'm in the photo on that page; see if you can pick me out. :D) One day over lunch, a few of us were lamenting the fact that we didn't have a guitar available and started looking around at travel options.

That night I had a dream that someone gave me a travel guitar. It was a black, full-sized, pointy Jackson-style thing with a hockey-stick headstock. And a two-fret neck. o_O

Fretting out likes this.
  10. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Not many about guitars themselves, but I've jammed with some really cool people in my dreams - SRV, Jimmy Page, Joe Satriani, and a few others that I can't remember right now 'cause I haven't had my coffee yet.

drlucky and guitartwonk like this.
  11. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Holic

I don't. A lot of people like to call their guitars "her" so I would not be surprised if there isn't a lot of dreaming going on. ;)

12. tvas22

tvas22 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I've had the classic "Oh you found your dream guitar hidden away in some place and you can have it for free" only to wake up disappointed.

I had a really weird dream where I was playing a 335 and it was the greatest guitar I'd ever played, it just blew me away. The funny thing is I can remember how it felt - high nut, really weird scalloped frets, huge nut spacing. Not my thing at all (I've never even played a scalloped neck). But in my dream, I was apparently blown away by all this.

Kelleycaster likes this.
  13. guitartwonk

guitartwonk Tele-Meister

Cool dreams. Now you mention it I once had a dream I was at a John Lee Hooker show and he asked me up to play with him. The dream ended just before I got up. Just as well. Compared to John-Lee, I would've totally stunk.

Dismalhead likes this.
  14. Mechanic

Mechanic Friend of Leo's

Yeah, me to.

RB522 likes this.
  15. MarkieMark

MarkieMark Tele-Meister

Never about a specific guitar, oddly enough. (I have way far out there dreams)

But about playing. With or for someone specific, sometimes.
    Not a common theme for me, but sometimes.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
    Fretting out likes this.
  16. ClashCityTele

ClashCityTele Tele-Holic

I often go to gigs in my dreams.
    Works out cheaper than the real thing.

Fretting out likes this.
  17. Bassman8

Bassman8 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Not so much in recent years but I had dreams of moving to a huge and very nice house and discovering all sorts of cool things as I walk along. There was usually a room with lots of great old guitars and basses, mostly Fenders and some Gibsons, and old tube amps. They weren't stacked up and displayed neatly like a store, they were just scattered around in their cases and I'd just get my mind blown discovering one after another.

18. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Poster Extraordinaire

Very rarely but it happens.

19. Fretting out

Fretting out Tele-Afflicted

Dang you lucky people!

Nope I never have dreams (very rarely)
    Of course I know I dream I just don’t remember ANY of them , but if I could remember them I’d wish they’d be about guitars

Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
  20. TeleTown

TeleTown Friend of Leo's

No dreams of guitars, but i do dream a lot about death.

RoarDog likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.