Do you display your diplomas?

Rich_S

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Well, I decided to simply file them away with a few other school records, even if it meant folding the 14" square GA Tech diploma. Then I realized that they were mounted on foam-core board when I had them framed years ago. Folding & filing no go.

I think I'll put off deciding until I get my other guitar-nerd "art" hung. If there's still room, I'll put up the diplomas. If not, I'll have to violate the current household "trash it all" policy and store them. There's one other framed piece of "family heirloom" art that's about the same size, and won't have a place to hang unless/until grand kids come along. I guess they can all share a box in the basement. One box is nothing compared to all the busted up "family heirloom" furniture Mrs_S refuses to deal with.

teleman1

Friend of Leo's
If anybody cared about anything anymore, it might be worth hanging. I have never been a fluffer look at me with 10,000 insecurities. I only have 99,999 insecurities. No biz accomplishment awards University grad diplomas. They are all boxed. I remember thinking seeing my almamater on the rear window looked cool on cars, but, never even did that. When I buy a car, you will never know dealership of orign, cause I remove all ID. Now, if they pay me, I would leave it on. And no political stickers on the cars either.

guitar_paul1

Tele-Afflicted
Mine are in a box for the kids to find when they clean out my stuff after I'm gone. I don't need diplomas anymore, but I thought the grandkids would get a kick out of seeing them prior to pitching them out along with a pile of my other career memorabilia.

oatsoda

Tele-Holic
Not me, but my wife just moved her private practice to an office in a heritage building, and getting all of those fancy scraps arranged and hung felt like it took nearly as much time as it did her to earn them.

Rich_S

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Here's my "work" desk with plenty of distractions.
oZbAaJj.jpg

If I ever switch to video conferencing, this is what my co-workers will see behind me.
4p1QLg3.jpg

wyclif

Tele-Afflicted
The only way I would display them is if I were in one of the professions working in a office where I meet clients. Since I'm not, I don't.

P Thought

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I kept mine propped on a whiteboard rail in my classroom after I'd found it in a musty box in my garage. Now it's in a box again, stowed away somewhere.

Nightclub Dwight

Friend of Leo's
I used to carry my high school diploma in my wallet because when I was a kid I heard some old guy give advice about when you have your diploma in your back pocket. I think it was an inside joke that only i thought was funny.

I have no idea where my college diploma is. A few years ago I had a tension dream where it turned out I was one class short of graduating. I never actually went to my college graduation, but I did get the diploma. Heck if I know where I misplaced it.

O- Fender

Friend of Leo's
Mine are framed and soon to be hanging on the newly renovated office. They are among the few things I have done right.

A friend once said he's going to hang his over the toilet so he could admire it first thing every morning.

Fiesta Red

Poster Extraordinaire
I haven’t displayed mine since I left my (hopefully) last-ever white collar position. After being unhappy and unfulfilled for twenty-plus years, I took a “step back” and I’ve been significantly happier as a safety coordinator for a construction company…it’s a light-blue-collar position in a blue-collar company.

I put a picture of my wife on the wall instead.

gimmeatele

Friend of Leo's
No, it's just something I did and marks a period in my life, I did it, I don't feel a need to remind myself

Direwolf

Tele-Meister
Gold Supporter
I have my high school diploma but don't have it displayed. I do have my honorable discharge on the wall in my "man cave".

maxvintage

Poster Extraordinaire
I have my grad diploma in my office on campus. It took a lot of work to earn it and students like to know what they're getting, not that a diploma really expresses that.

BerkshireDuncan

Tele-Holic
Solicitor or Doctor? Sure, it goes with the territory.
Anyone else? Do what makes you happy.. but be aware the majority of your audience will see it as self-aggrandising and pretentious.

knavel

Tele-Holic
I've never even contemplated hanging my law or undergraduate diplomas.

But when I had an office I did hang my grandmother's framed massive diploma from the 1920s in shorthand because it's always good to remember that we got to where we are standing on the shoulders of giants far greater than ourselves.

Skyhook

Tele-Afflicted
There's a spot on the wall where my two diplomas (BS in EE '84, MS in Mgt '97) would fit, but it seems they would look out of place and/or pretentious in what otherwise looks like a man cave. OTOH, what's the alternative, throw them away?

If that's where you work from then that's where you hang 'em!
It's not pretentious if you earned them. Especially relevant if they are related to your current field.
(BSc & MSc in CS '08, m'self) :)

CXXIENwWcAAKB2L.jpg

Telecastoff1

Tele-Afflicted
Nope, not for years now. They're stuffed away in boxes out in the garage. They only reflect a few brief moments in my life of what I did....not who I am. My four adult kids are my real-life, living diplomas...success at being a Dad...but we don't get diplomas for that. Just a sense of real pride for being the kind of Dad my kids needed. That hard work is reflected in my kids' happiness and successes....real-life, living diplomas.