Do You "Discover" Older Music?

RobRiggs

Tele-Afflicted
All the time! My musical taste was somewhat limited when I was younger, so lots of "new" stuff to discover.

jimmywrangles

Tele-Holic
I made a post a few days ago where I discovered Alvin Lee 60 years late.
I very rarely listen to modern music anyway...it pains me.

Tricone

Tele-Afflicted
Yep, traced back from the Stones and Cream to Robert Johnson and '20s and '30s blues. Also Gypsy jazz, and from there I got interested in Gypsy string combos. A couple violins, a viola, a string bass and a hammered dulcimer. Those Gypsy bands play with such feeling and finesse!

I really like Boulou Ferre'. His use of dynamics has a dramatic flair.

The Rosenberg family are fun to listen to.

And for a more modern Gypsy Jazz flavor. Antoine Boyer is an interesting player.

hnryclay

Tele-Holic
Im the absolute oppisite of the OP, I grew up playing guitar and found the saxophone. I always liked bebop, and cool jazz, but in the last few years I have really been into trad jazz, swing, and especially the music of Duke Ellington. I have also really enjoyed the american songbook, with songwriters like Hoagie Carmichael, and Gershwin. Its a long way from the Led Zeppelin of my youth.

bowman

Friend of Leo's
Yes, for sure. As I advance in age, I go further back in time musically. I’ve always listened to stuff I didn’t know, but it’s hard to do that and stay current too - there’s only so much time. When I was young, newer was always better, but no longer.
My latest craze is jump blues - Big Joe Turner and things like that. Before my time, but that stuff is great.