Do You Cook?

Jim622

Friend of Leo's
Do I cook? I’ve been a firefighter for 27 years. It’s kind of part of the job description. My wife and I have been 50/50 for 28 years. Like the fire house if you didn’t cook you do dishes. I hate dishes.

teletimetx

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
This thread needs more pics.

Just a few from my phone; have some homemade grape jam on the stove at the moment.

7C435477-4D47-4274-BB62-2F159533DBC9.jpeg
1C29D36D-12BB-434D-A4DF-AA0937561964.jpeg
0189DBB4-686D-4BD7-943F-B2918FB5609E.jpeg
018A0CD0-F6E4-49EF-9AE6-C24EED3D5796.jpeg
F80C451C-FBC4-426B-9EEA-50F0842F01B1.jpeg
654B2548-3771-4336-AFD7-1A2D724F07ED.jpeg

Hey_you

Friend of Leo's
I began my cooking journey at 11-12 yrs old. I thought my mom was a lousy cook. She did get better. I was cooking family meals, 6 of us, by the time I was 17. Both parents worked. I love great food. I was once asked what I specialize in. My only thought was,"Home cooked meals. There is nothing finer than properly cooked meals. Now I know why children grow up disliking types of food. They were forced to eat horrible creations! I took many classes. Went to the "best" restaurants around. I even invited myself to visit the kitchens! I made suggestions to management on "how to better". Friends tell me to open a restaurant. I worked a Galley for six seasons. A deckhand said to me one day," Same kitchen, same food. Why is it yours taste so much better than X does?" Ya have to eat, why not make it great?
Learn cooking techniques. Ya wont need recipes.

Stringbanger

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I can cook, but I need recipes to go by. I can cook all the basics like eggs, burgers, dogs, beans, and chili without directions.

My wife does most of the cooking, and she is a very good cook. She worked through her teens as a short-order cook and sundae maker, and she attributes her abilities to that experience.

cometazzi

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
This thread needs more pics.

Careful what you wish for:

1663707768470.png

Last night it was "Well, I have this local Albanian-style sausage, a couple cans of beans, and some onion, a bell pepper, some floppy celery and blushing carrots in the fridge. Guess I'll throw it all into a pot with some of that cabbage that's turning brown and simmer it with some smoked paprika, oregano and pepper." I don't think many people here would like it, but I'm happy with what it turned out to be. At least I'm not eating a bunch of crap.

To note, Mom was one of those people that could walk into a kitchen that had only 3 saltines, a half stick of butter, two iffy eggs and somehow conjure up a huge delicious meal with all the food groups. I couldn't tell you how many times I'd seen her work miracles in such a po' an' broke household. My sisters are also both phenomenal cooks, and it seems like they never had to work at it- it was simply intuitive. Me? I have to work at it.

Another funny thing is that I was a picky eater as a kid. I tired of all the po' people foods like beans and rice, beans and hoe cakes, chili over fritos, and stuff akin to "New England Boiled Dinner". When I started cooking in my late 20s, I found myself making all that stuff too. Not just making it, but craving it sometimes, even.

Geoff738

Poster Extraordinaire
I used to. Divorce and a move to the neighborhood that lacks many of the ingredients I was used to using has me cooking less and less over time.

Cheers,
Geoff

tomkatf

Tele-Afflicted
Platinum Supporter
Yes, recently teaching myself Indian and Thai curries and a few Hunan Chinese dishes…
Kind of a different one for me as it's beef... I usually cook chicken or fish. Dry Indian beef curry with onions, carrots, cashews.. spices include curry powder, turmeric, cumin seeds, fresh basil, cardamom, cloves, etc.
IMG_9263.jpg

Last edited:

Old Deaf Roadie

Friend of Leo's
I love to cook, but unfortunately Mrs. Roadie's culinary sense of adventure is limited so I end up cooking basic stuff over & over.
Who knew that deciding what's for dinner for decades on end would be one of adulting's greatest challenges?

Tenderfoot

Tele-Afflicted
Yes I do. I love cooking when it is to be shared with someone.
Otherwise I prefer to spend my time in other things.

I cooked for a living during a couple years in Cadiz (Spain), and enjoyed the experience for a while. The quality and variety of the products were amazing.

I can't cook without Olive oil
While station at Naval Station Rota, Spain 1967-1969, I had the opportunity to have several meals at various eating places in Cadiz. From beef to fish, potatoes to tapas it was great paired with a fine vino or cerveza! And yes, Olive oil is a must for Spanish cooking.

Willie Johnson

Friend of Leo's
I ordered pizza tonight, but I do probably 90% of the cooking for our household. It's a creative outlet--while I sometimes used prepared foods for sides (Knorr noodles and baked beans and so on), my main courses are almost always scratch-made. I have a knife callus on my index finger that's thicker than my guitar calluses.

Maguchi

Friend of Leo's
I've heard it said, to eat well is to live well. I am a proponent of that sentiment. Therefore I try to cook the best meal I can, even if it's a tuna melt, I want it to be good. I will take time and effort to make food taste good. The fun part of cooking for me is to make a dish from my own hands and imagination. It is a great feeling when you know you cooked something just right. It is a feeling of accomplishment, satisfaction, and culinary enjoyment.

I learned to cook on my own. It took a lot of time, tips and effort. You know why you learn how to cook? You get tired of eating crappy food. Any of you guitar slingers fancy yourself a cook?
More of a microwaver than a cook.

kuvash

Friend of Leo's
I've heard it said, to eat well is to live well. I am a proponent of that sentiment. Therefore I try to cook the best meal I can, even if it's a tuna melt, I want it to be good. I will take time and effort to make food taste good. The fun part of cooking for me is to make a dish from my own hands and imagination. It is a great feeling when you know you cooked something just right. It is a feeling of accomplishment, satisfaction, and culinary enjoyment.

I learned to cook on my own. It took a lot of time, tips and effort. You know why you learn how to cook? You get tired of eating crappy food. Any of you guitar slingers fancy yourself a cook?
Yup,enjoy the cooking part n enjoy the eating part too

Kev-wilson

Tele-Meister
I cook my own food and have done most of my adult life, but I have T1 diabetes so 'carb count' everything on my plate, if I do a Sunday roast it 'costs' me 2 injections but if my eldest daughter cooks one it's 3 😂

I joined in a Twitter thing with other T1's guessing the carbs in food items and was within 5 grams on everything listed but I've played the game for 38 years so am reasonably practiced and I don't mind cooking, the youngest requested spag bol last night and pasta is an 'enemy' unless cooked, chilled and reheated but my bloods didn't go over 8mmol, she's here tonight too and would like a Green Thai for tea which is a pain as she won't eat brown basmati rice (which I can eat) so will have 2 lots to cook...

Cyberi4n

Tele-Afflicted
Yes. The whole family follows the Fast800 diet, and we cook exclusively from the recipe book. It's all based on fresh ingredients, cooked from scratch.

Old Deaf Roadie

Friend of Leo's
While station at Naval Station Rota, Spain 1967-1969, I had the opportunity to have several meals at various eating places in Cadiz. From beef to fish, potatoes to tapas it was great paired with a fine vino or cerveza! And yes, Olive oil is a must for Spanish cooking.
Rota. Sangria Shack. Mmmm. Like the Swizzle Inn on Bermuda, only with sangria! Sailors who know, know.

BigDaddyLH

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I love to cook, but unfortunately Mrs. Roadie's culinary sense of adventure is limited so I end up cooking basic stuff over & over.
Who knew that deciding what's for dinner for decades on end would be one of adulting's greatest challenges?

My wife subscribes to a few magazines like Bon Appétit. The recipes are interesting but not complicated. We both pull out pages and make stuff from them, regularly. We have a small white board in the kitchen and it helps to plan out the week's menu on it. All it takes it the will to try something new. Change is good.