Do you carry a pocket knife?

P Thought

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
(I'm pretty sure it's against the law around here to NOT carry a pocket knife.)
From before my teens, my dad always checked to make sure I had my pocket knife on me. He'd check whether it was sharp, too, and then sharpen it for me; he was great with a whetstone. I have several of his old knives, and they all have great blade edges.

I carry a basic two-spring Swiss Army knife, and I think of my dad every time I use it.

P.S. pencils write best when you sharpen them with your pocketknife.

Last edited:

Toast

Tele-Afflicted
I carry a survival knife in my car. I picked it up on sale with store credit. I take it on hikes. It's a bit over kill, but it does come in handy every now and again.

Last edited:

Weazel

Tele-Afflicted
What are the tools on this? I know the blade..but the other two have me.
An old style (ww2 era) can opener, and the spike was intended for rope work (so I am told).

I have also been told that the spike was intended for cleaning around the shoes of a horse (cavalry equipment), but I find that a bit far fetched....

This knife was issued to the british navy, and have '1942' under the manufacturers stamp.

But since I really know nothing, others are welcome to chime in :)

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I would feel naked without this.
View attachment 985111
And this one whenever I'm out in the garden.
An Opinel No 8 carbon.
View attachment 985112
I never like swiss army knives but i like the opinels for food.
Last trip my wife went on with her parents to France it was the only thing i asked for.
She bougt me a beret.
Later they bought me an opinel in SS on Amazon.
Dammit I wanted it in carbon and carried on the plane!

Kandinskyesque

Tele-Holic
I never like swiss army knives but i like the opinels for food.
Last trip my wife went on with her parents to France it was the only thing i asked for.
She bougt me a beret.
Later they bought me an opinel in SS on Amazon.
Dammit I wanted it in carbon and carried on the plane!
Mrs K bought me a beret too.
It's rarely off my head in this wet and windy place.
1653035554800.jpeg

bettyseldest

Friend of Leo's
An old style (ww2 era) can opener, and the spike was intended for rope work (so I am told).

I have also been told that the spike was intended for cleaning around the shoes of a horse (cavalry equipment), but I find that a bit far fetched....

This knife was issued to the british navy, and have '1942' under the manufacturers stamp.

The spike is for removing boy scouts from horses hooves.

stxrus

Poster Extraordinaire

While it does look like a can opener (pretty large looking in the pic) I still contend that it’s a shackle key

Bruxist

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I take a Leatherman Wave with me all the time. No more pocket knives though.

The Wave is best multitool I have ever had, seen, or experienced for my purposes. I bought one when it came out in 1998 and it has been replaced 2x since then for warranty issues with no problems from Leatherman -- they sent the newer model each time.

I got the clip add on after wearing out over a half dozen cases and much prefer it.

One thing I don't do is keep the straight blade terribly sharp. I had just sharpened it and was opening some CD-R cases at work (that dates this anecdote, don't it?) and lost my grip on it and, due to the weight being centered in the handle, slipped through my hand, slicing my thumb open along the way. So I have to go to my boss with my thumb in a trash can pouring blood and then had to go to an occupational health center.

So I save that blade for the grottier tasks (recently used it to clean corrosion off a battery terminal, for example) and use the blade on my Kershaw Leek for real cutting.

Last edited:

Milspec

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
The Wave is best multitool I have ever had, seen, or experienced for my purposes. I bought one when it came out in 1998 and it has been replaced 2x since then for warranty issues with no problems from Leatherman -- they sent the newer model each time.

I got the clip add on after wearing out over a half dozen cases and much prefer it.

One thing I don't do is keep the straight blade terribly sharp. I had just sharpened it and was opening some CD-R cases at work (that dates this anecdote, don't it?) and lost my grip on it and, due to the weight being centered in the handle, slipped through my hand, slicing my thumb open along the way. So I have to go to my boss with my thumb in a trash can pouring blood and then had to go to an occupational health center.

So I save that blade for the grottier tasks (recently used it to clean corrosion off a battery terminal, for example) and use the blade on my Kershaw Leek for real cutting.
Ouch! That blade is very sharp from the factory. The only negative I can ever say about the Wave is that I will 90% of the time pull out the saw blade when needing the regular blade. I just always guess wrong for some reason and had to paint a little blue stripe on the blade to stop making that frustrating error.

Compared to the Gerber tools, the Wave is by far the superior one for 15 years now.

Bruxist

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I had several Gerbers, a Victorinox, and a few others but this was the only one I liked enough to carry every day.

The newer ones have a little ridged area to help distinguish between the blades. Nice feature, I just hate that they shrunk the scissors a bit when they re-designed, but that is my only quibble.

grandstick

Tele-Holic
A Spyderco SpydieChef, Byrd Raven 2, SOG Twitch II rosewood (birthday present from my son), Kershaw USA Scallion, an unnamed Buck-style knife that my late father carried, Victorinox Deluxe Tinker. Not shown (as I cleverly packed them in various backpacks, and can’t recall which): Victorinox Swiss Champ, and a Leatherman Sidekick.

I always carry a Victorinox Classic SD, but I went to a concert this week (the first one since February 2020), and forgot I had it in the change pocket of my pants. I hid it outside the venue, but someone found it and took it.

Which other knife I carry is determined by what I’m doing/where I’m going. But normally, I have the Kershaw clipped in my pocket.

IMG_4184.jpeg

Last edited:

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Mrs K bought me a beret too.
It's rarely off my head in this wet and windy place.
View attachment 985277
Well the beret is my hat of choice and need so I have 6-8 of them in every state of damn near worn out, thus every beret occassion is covered.
What she bought me was a cork sniffers beret in presentation box with certificate of authenticity, family crest, and a certain; je ne sais quoi, rigid perfection suitable for parade corps.
Also when I wear it I feel that my hat is too tight!

Aligns with my love of carbon steel for displaying obvious signs of use as it turns gray with experience.

You may know that us Muricans presume that berets are only worn by cork sniffing artists, highly trained soldiers, and furriners?

I still aint sure who I am so the beret is is fine in my art of war on presumptions...

bottlenecker

Poster Extraordinaire
I've been carrying the same rare auto folder for near 20 years. It needs replaced, but nothing else seems as good.
I also always carry a sog multitool and a small swiss army. Just the usual hillbilly silverware set.