Do you carry a pocket knife?

Nightclub Dwight

Friend of Leo's
Its funny, some here say they cant imagine ever needing a knife because: they never need a knife.
Then some of us have work that requires a variety of knives and other cutting tools.

Everybody wants to live indoors which requires site construction and landscaping then foundation and carpentry including roofing and siding etc followed by more lanscaping so the HOA doesnt attack you about poor lawn care or shrubs grown past your little plots lines.

But the folks who hire (or at least benefit from) guys & gals who build houses and take care of them, are bothered by trades people having and using cutting tools?

Very strange world of massive information available, yet many seem to have so little ability to see past our own little bubble of reality.
Or maybe the real problem is massive info distribution suggesting that cutting tools are just for hurting people?

So if trades people have no tools to do their jobs, crime will cease?
I always carry a knife. Hypothetically, if someone were to ask me if I am carrying a weapon I'd truthfully answer "no." A knife is a tool. I've used my knives for lots of things, but never as a weapon. Similarly, many tools can be used as weapons. I'd hate to be hit on the head with a hammer by a crazed lunatic. I'd rather run away than confront an assailant with my pocket knife.

One time, when I was painting my friend's house, I inadvertently set off her burglar alarm. The police arrived before we could get it reset. I was clearly there to paint the house, with all of my tools and paint spread around the front of the house. But as soon as the officer arrived I told him I had a knife in my pocket and he can take it from me if he wished. He took one look at it and told me not to worry about it, everything was cool.

SparkleFart

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
I'm a fan of many makers & really like Great Eastern Cutlery.

Here's some favorite patterns from my assortment of their Northfield, UN-X-LD, & Tidioute brands.

northfield00.jpg

northfield01.jpg

northfield02.jpg

northfield03.jpg

Flat6Driver

Friend of Leo's
I am an IT dude, a desk jockey, have been for 35 years. Before that, I stacked sod on the back of a tractor, washed dishes, cleaned bathrooms, stocked shelves, etc. I was also fortunate to have a dad that taught me to work with my hands from a very young age. I have also done carpentry work, plumbing, roofing, etc with him over the years on rental properties we had. Having grown up the way I did has given me an appreciation of trades people 👍👍

Having said all that, I wouldn't give up my desk job for anything except retirement 😁😆😅😂🤣

I have carried a Leatherman for as long as I can remember, a flashlight attached to the Leatherman case and a knife in my pocket. They ALL get used on a daily basis.

View attachment 985703
When I worked in an office that didn't require a pass through the metal detector I carried a knife and everyone knew it. I got asked to cut open boxes, fix thr printer with the screwdriver, etc.

Flat6Driver

Friend of Leo's
I always carry a knife. Hypothetically, if someone were to ask me if I am carrying a weapon I'd truthfully answer "no." A knife is a tool. I've used my knives for lots of things, but never as a weapon. Similarly, many tools can be used as weapons. I'd hate to be hit on the head with a hammer by a crazed lunatic. I'd rather run away than confront an assailant with my pocket knife.
It's a weapon if thrust at someone. If folded up in a poxket under the car keys or on the belt, it's not a problem. As a self defense item, a folder knife isn't particularly useful. "Hold still while I open the blade...."

zippofan

Tele-Afflicted
I carry a traditional slip joint every day, everywhere, except of course the airport or any place they want to confiscate it, ain't getting one of my Great Eastern, Schatt & Morgan, Case, Queen, Boker, Canal Street or Buck knives! Since I have a desk job I carry a Peanut, Lancer or other small one in my khakis during the day in case I need to open a box. I also like to carry a Chris Reeve, Benchmade, Kershaw or Spyderco clipped to my pocket when camping and I need a bigger blade.
I have a Case Scout knife in my pocket now :)
ETA: I've been a Boy Scout leader since 2002 but I've carried a pocket knife since I begged dad to let me have his Imperial Barlow when I was 8 years old, 50 years ago lol. I also always have an Opinel No. 8 or No. 7 around, in the car, in my bailout bag, very handy and a razor slicer.

Last edited:

Mechanic

Friend of Leo's
I’ve carried many a knife in my career as a mechanic. The gage of the guy chipping away bondo or scraping a gasket the cutting an apple are true. I’ve done it. I’ve given rides to many knives I’ve not seen again. My latest is the latest longest kept knife in my life. A Ken Onion/Kershaw Leek. This poor thing is battered scared and bruised with the last of the 1/8” missing. It’s still keeps an edge.

Maguchi

Friend of Leo's
Last edited:

srvy

Tele-Meister
I’ve carried many a knife in my career as a mechanic. The gage of the guy chipping away bondo or scraping a gasket the cutting an apple are true. I’ve done it. I’ve given rides to many knives I’ve not seen again. My latest is the latest longest kept knife in my life. A Ken Onion/Kershaw Leek. This poor thing is battered scared and bruised with the last of the 1/8” missing. It’s still keeps an edge.
Those Leeks are great knives. I'm also partial to the Ontario Rat I and II

drumtime

Tele-Afflicted
I like knives and have a bunch in drawers and on shelves around the farm. I hate carrying anything extra in my pockets, and since the TSA confiscated my grandfather's pocket knife I used to carry, I just don't any more. As far as multi-tools, I just never saw much value in them. I have a lot of actual tools, and they work better.

srvy

Tele-Meister
I've seen a lot of mentions of great brush cutters like machetes and such. I've been a land surveyor for over 40 years and have seen a few nasty accidents with a machete. It's usually from sweaty hands and no leather tung to wrap at wrist.

The best tool I ever is a true temper ditch bank blade. I have cut miles and miles of road centerline over the years with one. The hook is out front of you keeping arms out of greenbrier and multi-flora rose not to mention poison ivy. Cutting four to six inch trees is a breeze and we have even tag-teamed on 12-inch oak and hackberry. It beats the heck out of lugging gas oil and a noisy chainsaw deep into the timber.
51RkGVsb3SL.jpg

412001_2.jpg

Nightclub Dwight

Friend of Leo's
It's a weapon if thrust at someone. If folded up in a poxket under the car keys or on the belt, it's not a problem. As a self defense item, a folder knife isn't particularly useful. "Hold still while I open the blade...."
Exactly, its all in the use. Like I said, many common tools can be used as a weapon if used with that intent. A car can be a deadly weapon if intended.

I know I can get my knife deployed just about as quickly as I can get it out of my pocket, but still, my first choice would always be to run away if I was accosted.

There are no real winners in a knife fight, its just a matter of who lost worse.

srvy

Tele-Meister
Knives and collecting them is a weakness of mine and as others have said I feel naked without one in my pocket or on my side hunting or fishing.
I favor Uncle Henry or Oldtimer for a pocket folder with two or three blades because they are cheap and not such a heartbreak if lost.

Never cared for a swiss army knife or those multi tool thingies a good tool roll and some good tools are far better for me. I have little need for a corkscrew as I don't drink while hunting or fishing time for that back at camp.

srvy

Tele-Meister
My very favorite hunting and fishing knife is the venerable Greenriver 4215 Hunter full tang carbon steel blade. It holds an edge sharpens easily had a usable drop point and you can choker up ay the tip to get the fine work when skinning an animal. Something those Tanto blades are worthless for. Been a favorite since the days of the mountain men of yesteryear hunting and trapping. Its cheap but good still made today and can be had on amazon pair with a good leather sheath and you're set.
DexterHuntingFishingKnife.jpg

StoneH

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
Since we have diverged from pocket knives, I'll add one more working knife. I've had this fillet knife for well over 20 years. It can slice skin like a razor blade (meaning you don't feel the cut, you just see the blood). I wear a glove on my left hand that is made up of tiny, fabric chainmail links.

fillet.jpg

Vibroluxer

Tele-Holic
Since we have diverged from pocket knives, I'll add one more working knife. I've had this fillet knife for well over 20 years. It can slice skin like a razor blade (meaning you don't feel the cut, you just see the blood). I wear a glove on my left hand that is made up of tiny, fabric chainmail links.

View attachment 985808
I used to have one of those, a butchers glove.

bobio

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
I have a spyderco problem…
View attachment 985810
a few more have been added since this photo.

unless I am getting on a plane (or naked) one of these is on my person at all times.
LOL, not a bad problem to have :cool: I have the same problem. :eek:
My Spyderco collection primarily consists of Para 3 and Delica knives.
Here are a few from my collection.

I built these hidden shelves that sit behind books in the hutch top of my desk.
I have a set of these shelves on both sides full of knives...:oops:

20210228_172153321_iOS.jpg 20220503_135350979_iOS.jpg