Do you carry a knife on a regular basis?

brookdalebill

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I carry a Leatherman Supertool.
It lives on my belt, by my left front pocket.
I sometimes carry a big Swiss Army knife, with or without the Leatherman.
The Leatherman is my EDC.
I got in the habit of carrying when I lived in BC, and managed pawn shops.
I always had to cut, clean, tighten, loosen, screw or unscrew something.
It’s proven to be extremely useful, as the wear on it shows.
I got it from my friend/guru Cliff on my birthday in 1996.
Perhaps my most useful, and thoughtful gift, ever.

Last edited:

bottlenecker

Friend of Leo's
As a non-knife carrier, I'm genuinely curious about this. Every day? I can't think of the last time I wished I had a pocket knife.

People live different kinds of lives in different ways in different places.
I think most tradesmen carry a knife. And most people in rural areas. I probably use mine more often than my wallet, but I wouldn't leave the house without either.

TwoBear

Friend of Leo's
Since I was about 13 I have every day carried some version of a Swiss Army Knife. Almost always a Victorinox. People laugh till they need the copier fixed or a beer open.

I see that Kershaw, and Benchmade are poplar EDC gadgets. I'm on vacation this week and they seem to sell this stuff in vacation towns. Why?

Anyhow, I thought of buying one and then figured what's the point? It's only a blade, I have a screwdriver and can opener on my swiss army knife. And I didn't want to spend $80.

So do you carry a single blade? What do you do with it?
I need it constantly through the day just open up plastic packages ! i’ve got this, that I traded a homeless guy for an old phone that I had- I guess he needed to turn in to get a new one, and then a great collection of 3/4 this size down to Little Pearl and bone handle made in Germany and Switzerland, and USA BUCK... probably about nine or 12. Most of them I got from an estate sale when the head maintenance Man over at Knottsberry Farm passed away. I was also able to pick up all of his carving chisels from his lathe, and gave them to my buddy Chris who makes custom bowls. As my attire gets more nice or formal the knife gets smaller, but you always seem to need one.

TwoBear

Friend of Leo's
No, not unless I'm going camping. I have no need for a knife in day-to-day life except when I'm at home, and there, I have access to a wide variety of tools. I simply don't come across things that need to be cut that often. I often wonder what knife-carrying people are doing that they keep stumbling across things that do need cutting.
Plastic bubble packages, things I’ve ordered online like MG 30 and my pod go that I want to unbox Real carefully in case I have to send them back. Just reach in my pocket and there’s a little penknife that’s very sharp. I’m always opening packages for Jeanette like out in the car and she has some car product. It’s just about impossible to get into A lot of these without a sharp knife. Good for a quick touchup on nails also.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I've carried a small Buck knife for the last twenty five years or more, the whole thing is only about 3 1/2 inches long. At night I grab a folding hunter when I got out walking the dog, as soon as I get back I unload it, it's too heavy to carry around all of the time.

BigDaddyLH

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I wear this every day. You never know when you're going to need it.

black-klein-tools-tool-belts-5101-e1_600.jpg

Nightclub Dwight

Friend of Leo's
Leatherman multi-tool always on my belt. I have one for everyday use and one for formal occasions. I also have a folding knife on the outside of my EDC bag and a small Swiss Army knife inside my first responder kit inside of my EDC Bag.

Yes, I was and still am a true Boy Scout and National Ski Patroller through and through. If you need help, you want me nearby.

I have always thought that you would be one of my first choices for a companion in a hostile fox hole. And I'm a pacifist at heart.

Obsessed

Telefied
Silver Supporter
I have always thought that you would be one of my first choices for a companion in a hostile fox hole. And I'm a pacifist at heart.
Well, thank you. Believe it or not, I’m a pacifist at heart as well and always try to pursue that as a goal. Competing in biathlon and air rifle for many years, I became very familiar with weapons, along with some sustainable hunting and martial arts too, but I believe I would be very hesitant in a “hostile” fox hole. Paper targets and drones are one thing … but … I believe I would be the medic in a fox hole.:rolleyes:

Weazel

Tele-Holic
I guess I've posted this in other threads, but this one (WW2 - Sheffield 1942) has been with me since my dad gave it to me when I was around 14. After he passed I found another one he kept in his box of stuff. It's now in MY box of stuff.

This one is with me everyday unless I'm wearing a suit. It is razor sharp and very convenient with the spike.
Pocketknife.jpg

littlebadboy

Tele-Afflicted
Is it legal here in the states to carry a knife? I used to train in an edged and impact weapons art back in country-of-origin.

Flat6Driver

Friend of Leo's
Ah, so it's an tool for your profession. Fair enough. I've had jobs where I had to cut things open, lift things, load things... I wasn't thinking of the OP's question in terms of needing a knife for work.

It wasn't for defense as a question. Just everything else. Cutting zip ties on a toy for the kids or a bag of chips was the last two uses this week.

Edit....and opening a hard plastic package of wiper blades.for the car.

skypeace

TDPRI Member
SAK is minimum EDC. I am a Buck Knife Collector so I usually have a Buck 110 and or a 110Pro along with a 345 or 6. My children and grandchildren have all been raised to be prepared for emergencies and to assist others and defend themselves and the helpless.

A knife is the most basic of tools and regard it as apparel. Bored, whittle something. In my day a pocketknife was allowed in school, who didn't have a fine Cub or Boy Scout Knife and later a Buck 110.

Nightclub Dwight

Friend of Leo's
Well, thank you. Believe it or not, I’m a pacifist at heart as well and always try to pursue that as a goal. Competing in biathlon and air rifle for many years, I became very familiar with weapons, along with some sustainable hunting and martial arts too, but I believe I would be very hesitant in a “hostile” fox hole. Paper targets and drones are one thing … but … I believe I would be the medic in a fox hole.:rolleyes:

Strictly self defense of course. I have a general non aggression pact with the world. I never start a fight, and try to walk away at all costs. Its always better to swallow some pride and live to enjoy another day.

A medic is worth their weight in gold when the going gets tough!

For proof of this, just watch Hacksaw Ridge. Wonderful movie.

Lonn

Friend of Leo's
Carrying things in my pocket really bothers me so the only thing I carry is the tiny bottle of nitro pills that I’ve had to have with me 24/7 for the last 11 years, and a guitar pick. I carry a wallet but only when standing or walking. When I sit down somewhere the wallet comes out because it’s too bulky and uncomfortable.

goonie

Friend of Leo's
Ah it's the quarterly 'show me your knife' thread! I felt so left out last time, I actually went out and bought a little folding knife and put it in my pocket for a day or two. But it's been on the bedside table for a couple of months now. Just can't get in the habit at this age, even though it's not such a bad idea.