Do you carry a knife on a regular basis?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Flat6Driver, Jul 29, 2021.

1. Winky

Winky Tele-Meister

No, not unless I'm going camping. I have no need for a knife in day-to-day life except when I'm at home, and there, I have access to a wide variety of tools. I simply don't come across things that need to be cut that often. I often wonder what knife-carrying people are doing that they keep stumbling across things that do need cutting.

2. El Serio

El Serio Tele-Meister

Everywhere except airplanes. Ontario RAT II. I use it to open boxes, cut steaks, cut fishing line clean fish, clean deer and on and on

zippofan and Fendereedo like this.
  3. ScottJPatrick

ScottJPatrick Friend of Leo's

When I was a kid in the boy scouts back in the 70's I used to carry a 6'' long sheath knife in my belt, I would be locked up now for doing that, no knives allowed over here.

4. carpenter

carpenter Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Remington upland game main knife.

Fendereedo likes this.
  5. _MementoMori_

_MementoMori_ Tele-Afflicted

Worst case scenario, self defense. I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

6. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

Usually no.. I have 4 knives, along with some really nice kitchen knives. Swiss Army knives are kind of my thing for knives, I am just as likely to want one of the other tool as the knife. I still have the Swiss Army knife my dad got me when I was like 11 and went to Boy Scout camp. I bought myself another one when I left home, cause i wanted one with more tools. Still have that. And then a few years ago I bought one in Lucerne in Switzerland because how could I get anything else as a souvenir of having visited Switzerland?

I feel like if I get in the habit of carrying one I'm inevitably going to get caught taking it somewhere it's not allowed and have it taken away, and it will very likely be a place I would never have needed a knife.

I probably appreciate a really nice forged Chef's knife most of all though. My wife and I cook almost all the time and eat at restaurants far less than average, a nice chef's knife is a real pleasure to work with. Not going to carry one of those around!

Fendereedo likes this.
  7. rstaaf

rstaaf Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I have been carrying a Leatherman of some sort for as long as I can remember.
    I have quite a few pocket knives, but one seems to find its way into my pocket most days.

Leatherman Wave + and a Spyderco Para 3 Lightweight...

20210528_160922664_iOS.jpg 20210124_145617457_iOS.jpg

To say I have a problem is probably understating things.
    This is an old picture, I have identical shelves on the other side of the desk that are just as full. :eek:
    This is the knife cave, I built them into the back of this are of my desk, both sides have books concealing the knives.

20210228_172153321_iOS.jpg

I love to tinker with knives just as much as guitars. Many of my Spyderco Para 3s are not factory. Here are a few of my favorites...

Last edited: Jul 29, 2021
  8. JRapp

JRapp Tele-Holic

For my work in the western offroad boonies, I carried barbed wire fence tools, bolt cutters, a machete, a come-along, fence steppers, sand mats, a marlinspike, a 6 ft prybar, a sat phone and a weather radio, all hauled around in a HD 4wd. I had an eastern bloc bayonet but it rarely got used. I don't carry a knife in everyday life and I don't see the need.

Fendereedo likes this.
  9. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

7A144117-40ED-44E5-BBFB-2F1B7193D8A6.jpeg 4870646C-9902-446E-A948-195374C3251B.jpeg 4F11F138-72A3-4E61-BA31-CE989032E080.jpeg
    ive been carrying this for close to 15 years. SOG Mini Aegis. Overall length is 7” open and closed is 4”. Guys nicely in the pocket, Easy flipper, good safety and ran around $50.00 with shipping.
    It’s no longer manufactured (just the big one) and I have a backup when this one dies
    I use it for most of my cutting needs. It is not a pry bar or a screwdriver.
    I also use it as a dive knife. A good freshwater washing , serious drying, a few shots of powdered graphite and it’s ready to go

I have several other knives but this my EDC

10. bsman

bsman Friend of Leo's

I always have a Leatherman Wave within reach but rarely carry it on my belt. In my pocket, I have either a Spyderco PM2, PM3 Lightweight, ZT 0770, Kershaw Leek or Scallion, or a Case small Texas jack. Right now, the PM2 seems to be ascendant. I also have two small fixed-blade knives - a Ka Bar BK24 and a Fallkniven Kolt that I sometimes stuff in a pocket.

You'd think GAS is bad enough - we I have KAS as well.

11. Otisblove

Otisblove Tele-Meister

Nope.

Fendereedo likes this.
  12. Flat6Driver

Flat6Driver Friend of Leo's

That's a different conversation. ;)

Fendereedo likes this.
  13. _MementoMori_

_MementoMori_ Tele-Afflicted

I just sold my ZT 0770CF on ebay last week. I loved it but felt like it was too nice to abuse. Even though ZT knives are specifically built for abuse.

Fendereedo and bsman like this.
  14. Flat6Driver

Flat6Driver Friend of Leo's

I was told not to bring mine to work any more at the metal detector, so I left it in my desk and bought another one.

We.used it to cut limes at the Holiday Party.

15. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

Nope. Don’t need one. The state police have deemed my hands and feet to be lethal weapons.:lol:

boredguy6060 and Fendereedo like this.
  16. suave eddie

suave eddie Friend of Leo's

One like this has been on my key-ring for many years and it it gets used almost daily for something.

[​IMG]

JayFreddy, graybeard65 and Fendereedo like this.
  17. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

My favourite brand is Victorinox. I've had one forever too. I've a two blade one, which I regularly carry, then a multi tool one which is blue instead of the regular red.

Flat6Driver likes this.
  18. bsman

bsman Friend of Leo's

I've had mine for so long that the finish has worn off the raised parts of the handle (I have the original aluminum-handled version - not the newer CF). I look at knives as tools. I do have to say that I continue to be impressed by the Elmax blade on that thing - and the modified sheepsfoot blade shape is endlessly useful.

zippofan and _MementoMori_ like this.
  19. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

If I'd ever need one, I'd carry one but the need never arises. Copier issues? Nope. Open a beer bottle? Never far from a bottle opener.

20. buster poser

buster poser Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Most of the time. The ones I carry are a Ken Onion 'Leek' or a fantastic little Microtech I was given as a gift many years ago. Both are assisted-open, my ex-police dad asks me if they're legal every time I need to use one around him. Not sure he believes me :)

upload_2021-7-29_15-23-38.png

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.