Do You Care Who Is In The Band Anymore?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Bones, Jul 9, 2018.

1. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's

You should reconsider. The current guy is really, really good. Lotta Hendrix influence in his playing, too.

StrangerNY likes this.
  2. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

A good name for some of these acts.

3. BuckSatan

BuckSatan Tele-Meister

It’s tough being a fan of classical music in this debate.

4. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Most of the "classic rock" bands I wouldn't want to see even if all the original members were there. But when they're touring with 1 or 2 original members and a bunch of unknowns? I can't believe people pay money to see that garbage. But clearly they do.

5. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

Wishbone Ash with only Andy Powell as an original member, still worth seeing.

6. HoodieMcFoodie

HoodieMcFoodie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I always thought George Michael could fill those shoes...

7. HoodieMcFoodie

HoodieMcFoodie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Yeah like Foreigner, a.k.a The Mick Jones Band.

Colo Springs E likes this.
  8. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

I would expect Levon Helm and Robbie Robertson at least...yeah it matters.

9. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Beanie and Cecil! Yay!!

We had a TV at the place we rented in Wisconsin and I got to see a few episodes and they still stick with me. Normally, no TV in the house, so this was a special treat. :^)

++

For now, there's still enough bands out there with a sufficient number of original or early members, that you can keep pretty busy watching shows. What I seem to be doing is seeing the musicians of that era, as Frontmen, doing their own songs and mixing in a few of the hits of the various bands they were in. Jimmy Messina, for example.

10. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I won't be seeing the Fleetwood Mac tour specifically because Lindsey won't be there. They hired a couple ace guitarists to cover for him. But I'm not interested.

Owenmoney, kelnet and william tele like this.
  11. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Holic

An interesting FYI: prior to the age of R&R, the song ruled over the group. Lots of big bands played a popular song. R&R issued in an age of personalities behind the songs. It's strange to think it used to be that way.

12. paparoof

paparoof Tele-Holic

Fishbone is out touring with the original line up again.

13. jaybones

jaybones Friend of Leo's

Sometimes, and it varies.

I saw Pink Floyd on the Division Bell tour, spring of '93. Die hard Floyd fans insist that there is no more PF without Roger Waters.

I didn't care, and didn't think they were missing anything without him.

I've seen the Grateful Dead 44 times, many more lots and tours under my belt. When Jerry died that was the end of them as far as I was concerned.

Never was a fan Bob Weir's side project Rat Dog, saw Phil and Friends (always was down in the Phil Zone- plus I met him and he was a pretty cool fellow, if pretty square), but when I heard John Mayer was going to try to replace Jerry (as if anyone could) I thought I'd give them a shot.

Until I saw the prices! :eek:

But for most other bands I'm okay as long as the frontman and lead guitarist are the same.

Nightclub Dwight likes this.
  14. kidmeatball

kidmeatball Tele-Meister

I kind of like what Dio and Iommi did with their sort of Black Sabbath band, post Ozzy. They (eventually) renamed it Heaven and Hell after their first album and absolutely killed. They weren't a cover band at that point, they didn't play a single classic Sabbath song. I wasn't much of a fan before I went to one of their shows, but I left a die hard. I was privileged enough to see them again before Dio passed and it was every bit as good.

On the other hand, I was excited to see Thin Lizzy open for Judas Priest and was thoroughly disappointed. Not the same without Phil Lynott. He is just too unique.

I watched a couple interviews with the two surviving Beastie Boys a while ago, and both had said they could just never go on without MCA. I appreciate that.

Has anyone seen any of those terrible hologram concerts with the likes of Tupac Shakur? I think Queen did one with Freddy and I'm sure there was a Michael Jackson one at some point. Who needs musicians when you can have a HoloJockey?

duzie likes this.
  15. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Doctor of Teleocity

”Do You Care Who Is In The Band Anymore?”

Robbie left The Band after The Last Waltz, which leaves Garth as the only one remaining...he’s in his 80’s

djh22, DonM and El Famoso like this.
  16. El Famoso

El Famoso Tele-Meister

Saw Dead & Co w John Mayer at Bonnaroo a couple years ago. Got lucky, buddy had an extra ticket for the last night so for the price (free) it was great. Maybe not the same as before, but pretty damn good.

Haha I feel that way about the two of them together. Never got into any of the stuff after frusciante left, but I loved everything before.

17. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

Fogerty is a talented guy no doubt, easily the most talented member of CCR... but for all his bitching about what crap players Clifford and Cook are, he's never really recaptured that CCR vibe without them.

I have a hard time with this, since as far as I'm concerned The Who ceased to exist in 1978 when Keith Moon kicked the bucket. Whatever claim to legitimacy the remaining three still had, evaporated when Entwistle cashed in his chips in 2002. I'm sure Townshend and Daltrey put on a great show, but as talented as Palladino and Starkey are, they didn't play on Live At Leeds or Who's Next. It's like substituting ingredients in cooking- sometimes the recipe still works, and sometimes it just turns out different.

If you're waiting for Levon you'd better get a chair, since you're gonna be waiting for a while.

Jim622 likes this.
  18. Jim622

Jim622 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

The Who aren't The Who any more. I saw The Who the week after The Ox died. It just seemed very wrong. It matters, that's a sad likeness of what was. What they used to do with 4, they can't do with 10. I'd like to see Pete Townshend, but not The Who. Some bands need reality checks. Just move on musically, don't sell out. Zeppelin did it right, for the most part.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
    Doctorx33 and Fearnot like this.
  19. Cantbreak100guy

Cantbreak100guy Tele-Holic

Is Fish back on the drums? Kibby? I played Housework for a guy at work the other day, he looked at me like I was crazy. You either love Fishbone or you just don't get it. I just built a new radio. It didn't sound anywhere near as good as I thought it would. You absolutely have to feel the bass coming through on that song or it does no justice. I saw those guys years ago at First Avenue. It was cool to see Angelo walking through the crowd before the show and just b.s.'n with people. You ever see the version of Shattered they did? Brilliant.

20. Fearnot

Fearnot Friend of Leo's

I have to agree... Doug Clifford may not have Kenny Aronoff's chops, but Kenny has none of Clifford's taste. I've seen Fogerty with Aronoff about 4 times and always find him irritatingly over-the-top. Just find a groove, man.

beyer160 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.