Do you busk?

wulfenganck

Tele-Afflicted
I do it with our singer, usually two, maybe three times during summer. We started in 2019 when our main band had to take a break due to the drummer leaving. It's mainly in our hometown, as they allow small amps. Most german cities only allow strictly unplugged busking, which can be quite exhausting. I'm gigging for about 30 years, but the first time busking was pretty nervewrecking. Odd, but I guess there's a difference if you chose to be in a place with livemusic or if you annoy an innocent passersby....it's fun to do now, we play about 2 hours with a break and change of position after the first hour and spend the money earned directly afterwards for a kebab and drinks (there were bad days where it was only enough cash for a coffee).

gimmeatele

Friend of Leo's
I did for a few years, I to felt nervous, but after a while if being totally ignored I just settled into amusing myself with playing, if people want to stop and listen or give, they will. Most don't even acknowledge your presence let alone listen. BUT beware of the the TALKER! They will wait till you finish, hanging around till you finish a song then discuss all nuances of playing and equipment before wandering off ten minutes later without even a donation!
The best bit though is children who will watch probably never seen a guitar player before. I would switch to a swampy blues tune and it didn't take long before they started to dance, that was worth all the money you may make in a day.

wulfenganck

Tele-Afflicted
....BUT beware of the the TALKER! They will wait till you finish, hanging around till you finish a song then discuss all nuances of playing and equipment before wandering off ten minutes later without even a donation!.....
Oh yes, lovely chaps.....you'll also find those on open stage nights. Always experts on playing technique, gear and your choice of songs, but never playing themselves and of course never leaving some money (the house band on the open stage I'm doing sometimes, usually collects for a donation to various welfare projects).
The only people worse are the "guitar police" guys leaning at the back wall of the venue with their arms crossed and their "I'm not impressed"-look for the whole show, while everybody else is having a good time....

Matt G

Tele-Afflicted
. . . I thought of it as essential roots music homework. Fiddle songs, rent party (jug band) music, and country blues are essential influences to me and they were all played on the street by musical greats. . . .
I haven't busked, but I'm tempted to give it a spin for exactly this reason. Plus, I think it'd be good discipline for me, since I tend to not learn whole songs fluently enough to play in front of people. My main obstacle is that I don't want to be out there holding a stupidly expensive out-of-production Gibson acoustic in a place where any random r*tard could get his hands on it or trip into me. On the other hand, this could be my chance to finally argue my way to getting that National tricone I've been waiting for. . . .

Red Ryder

Tele-Afflicted
A guitar buddy of mine tried it for awhile. Saw him one day when we went to town. I noticed a little bit of money in his tip bucket. I commented about it and he said he tossed the money in to give people a hint $17. Asked him later how the day went. He said great, when he decided to leave he had $12.

Maguchi

Friend of Leo's
Some buskers are high tech and crazy good today.

Tons of fun, I think our record was $200/hour!

It might be fun.
A few of my friends busking at a twice a week "farmers market" in Los Angeles.

20220403_142111.jpg

Last edited: