Do You Always Fill Up Your Pedal Board?

Brett Valentine

Tele-Meister
It doesn't start that way, but it usually ends up that way. Lately, I to fit the board size to the need (Pedal Train) without too much excess space.

igor5

Tele-Meister
While the number of pedals that I use has decreased over the years, so has the size of the pedalboards that I use. That's the reason that my boards are all filled up.

I've also got a homemade board that used to be a lot bigger, but I trimmed it down to around 70% of its original dimensions. I've got six pedals on it, along with a Voodoo Lab ISO-5. I purposefully spread out everything for ease of running cables to everything. I could probably chop it down another 20% or so, especially if I could figure out a way to mount the ISO-5 underneath, but that would require making it considerably taller, so I just don't bother.

All of my boards always have one boost, one OD (and possibly two), one tuner, one reverb, and one delay. A compact board will always be filled because of this.
Just for curiosity. What pedals do you have on the pedalboard?

standup

Tele-Meister
for the band I’m in right now I only need on flavor of OD. This is the board. I use everything here, and its jammed full. I love Supa Trem, if I had a smaller pedal there might be some room. But I like the giant knobs you can adjust with your toe for rate and depth.

43F9EF63-1449-4DFE-BA3A-4743832D9D12.jpeg

Attachments

• B8AE5666-084E-482D-8359-BDA40F160240.jpeg
    B8AE5666-084E-482D-8359-BDA40F160240.jpeg
    299.3 KB · Views: 15

Dik Ellis

Tele-Holic
If a pedal is on my board, I'm using it. I add an EQ and Compressor to all, and a TS9 on the front end of my Boogie for some crunch on the clean channel.
IMG_0795 (2).jpg
IMG_0796 (2).jpg

bottlenecker

Poster Extraordinaire
I subscribe to "Show Us Your Pedal Board" thread. I can't recall seeing a rig which doesn't have every space filled, whether large or small. I have a small board with six pedals and I've used all the spaces. Is it just the nature of open real estate which must be filled? Or do you have a lot of pedals and then buy a board which holds them all? If you do have a board with open spaces show a picture.

I cut a pine board to fit however many pedals I want to use, and make patch cables to fit. The pedals are screwed down. I would hate to take up any more stage than I have to, and don't want to carry extra either.
So, no. But yes.
If I had to use a store bought pedalboard, I guess I'd want to fill it with something, so it's not a waste. Are there confetti cannon pedals yet?

IMG_20160827_175052118.jpg

teleforumnoob

Friend of Leo's
lol, over the last 20 yrs Ive collected like 5 boards and still couldn't fit all the pedals Ive collected on them.
All the boards are inexpensive knock offs but most of the power is decent, Voodoo Labs or equal. No Pedaltrains or other name brands but they do the job, its not like Im touring or anything.
Yea its a sickness but also its a hobby. At least I'm not a bass fisherman or a golfer, lol.
14"x20" board has 8-10 of my current fav everyday use pedals.
An identical one has all the weird experimental kinda stuff on it.
A similar but smaller one is for putting together 5-6 essential pedals for a gig, varies depending on need.
A small flat 4-5 pedal board just for bass,
and another little one just like it holds a small collection fuzzes.

RolandG

Tele-Meister
My board has a space for my beer glass. I’ve had too many glasses knocked over by singers and customers

Quexoz

Tele-Meister
I don't have a pedal board...don't even have a pedal. I had a Big Muff (my amp had no dirty channel) in 1978 or so, but that was the only one I ever used.

Maguchi

Friend of Leo's
It doesn't start that way, but it usually ends up that way. Lately, I to fit the board size to the need (Pedal Train) without too much excess space.
Yeah generally. I have too many pedals anyway, and if there's only 4 pedals that I use a lot, I'll choose a couple more that I might use.

20220610_165830.jpg

Last edited:

Rich_S

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
I’m sentimentally attached to the 12” x 18” board I built back in the ‘80s for my five Boss pedals. In recent years, I added an upper level so the count could grow to eight. Along the way, I also replaced my old-standby dual DD-3s with various other single delays with presets, in order to save a pedal's worth of space.

Lately, I just felt the need to add one more dirt box, so I had sell off my Phase 90 and Korg Pitchblack in favor of the mini versions, despite my dislike for mini pedals in general. So now I have nine pedals and there ain’t no way I’m going to fit any more on it.

9O8CFkT.jpg

Rich_S

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Yeah generally. I have too many pedals anyway, and if there's only 4 pedals that I use a lot, I'll choose a couple more that I might use.

View attachment 992782
That's an interesting and unusual asortment of pedals. What's the fuscia Ibanez pedal? Where do you get your dirt? Is your amp a channel switcher, or is it just on edge with the Spark to push it over?

teletimetx

Doctor of Teleocity
All I need is this lamp. And this chair.

c62f0d1e60a8b8d04e4c7e136f41648e.jpg

yeah, for the last 10 years I've been using a pedal train board that holds 5 or 6 pedals. Comes in a carrying case, so for quick setup, I can just zip open the lid, plug in and go. Not too complicated, tuner, mini-fuzz, several flavors of OD, trem, reverb. I'm just starting with two new groups, so not sure I'll end up with this specific line-up, but something equivalent.

IMG_6313.jpg

Maguchi

Friend of Leo's
That's an interesting and unusual asortment of pedals. What's the fuscia Ibanez pedal? Where do you get your dirt? Is your amp a channel switcher, or is it just on edge with the Spark to push it over?
The Ibañez pedal is an AD-9 Analog delay. Yes, I mostly alternate between 3 different channel switching amps. A Marshall Mini Silver Jubilee, a Peavey Delta Blues and a Mesa Boogie Fillmore 25. Sometimes I'll also use the TC Spark Booster pedal on both the clean and dirty channels of these amps.
Cheers

Last edited:

J. Austerlitz

TDPRI Member
I have a Boss BCB-60–had it for a long time. It hold six or seven pedals, but I only ever use four, so I eventually downsized to a small board that would be full and space efficient. I hated it. I realized I liked the extra space around the pedals. So I switched back and play with a mostly empty board.

Cyberi4n

Tele-Afflicted
Needed to mount my wah, so I’ve had to completely rebuild my mini-pedal Pedal board. Here’s a before and after

60A212BA-D318-4FEC-9DCC-AAD5F11E9152.jpeg

After

CAC51AF4-5386-4B7A-8CB4-5C4DB07BCDFE.jpeg

Last edited: