Do You Always Fill Up Your Pedal Board?

sax4blues

Poster Extraordinaire
I subscribe to "Show Us Your Pedal Board" thread. I can't recall seeing a rig which doesn't have every space filled, whether large or small. I have a small board with six pedals and I've used all the spaces. Is it just the nature of open real estate which must be filled? Or do you have a lot of pedals and then buy a board which holds them all? If you do have a board with open spaces show a picture.

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
After 25 years,

I still do the same thing, with the same molded plastic Boss 3-pedal pedal board, and same boring Boss pedals
Tuner> Tremolo or Chorus Ensemble ( not both)> DD-3

I run an overdrive or distortion pedal on the floor, before the pedal board- usually a Blues Driver, sometimes a Joyo TS, or cheap Rat clone ( depends on gig, or amp used)
* The Tuner has Power IN/OUT jacks, so 1-Spot IN and daisy chain OUT

But I'm super simple, but all sounds good, year-after'year

Synchro

Tele-Holic
I know that I do, which is ironic, in view of the fact that I usually just use reverb, or delay. This is my Swiss Army Board, which covers all of the bases I would ever care to cover. 90% of the time, or more, I only use the gray and red pedal, the Catalinbread Talisman, everything else gets used infrequently. I have that rare ability to have more money than brains, even when I’m flat broke. :)

E4599F5B-FCC1-4E55-B950-0F242DB8EBBD.jpeg

The Swiss Army Board usually stays at home, and the board below makes it to most of my gigs. I have since replaced the Boss OS-2 with a Nobels ODR-1. The Gadsden is mostly an attempt at irony, because … what good is a pedalboard that’s you can’t step on?
4539E6FA-ED1B-4EA3-AA6B-B5EA5AC07DCF.jpeg

JustABluesGuy

Friend of Leo's
If I can get away without it, I leave it off.

I’m a minimalist, and I also like to avoid an possible issues when performing. The more cables (and pedals) there are, the greater the possibility of “technical difficulties” happening.

Synchro

Tele-Holic
If I can get away without it, I leave it off.

I’m a minimalist, and I also like to avoid an possible issues when performing. The more cables (and pedals) there are, the greater the possibility of “technical difficulties” happening.
That’s for sure. I had my Swiss Army Board at our last gig and it decided to quit working. The problem was simple, but to keep the show on track, I broke out the reverb, plugged it into a One Spot and played the entire gig with just reverb.

11 Gauge

Doctor of Teleocity
While the number of pedals that I use has decreased over the years, so has the size of the pedalboards that I use. That's the reason that my boards are all filled up.

I've also got a homemade board that used to be a lot bigger, but I trimmed it down to around 70% of its original dimensions. I've got six pedals on it, along with a Voodoo Lab ISO-5. I purposefully spread out everything for ease of running cables to everything. I could probably chop it down another 20% or so, especially if I could figure out a way to mount the ISO-5 underneath, but that would require making it considerably taller, so I just don't bother.

All of my boards always have one boost, one OD (and possibly two), one tuner, one reverb, and one delay. A compact board will always be filled because of this.

Jakedog

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I have an open space on my board, but not on my power supply.

For me, I know exactly what I need, like, and will actually use. So I buy an appropriately sized board to hold that.

I would like to have a tremolo. Nah e that’s what will go in the final slot. I can always power it off my TU3, I guess.

4pickupguy

Doctor of Teleocity
I tried to have an “audition” slot that I can manually punch into my signal. That way I am not disturbing my chain. A EP Boost found that slot and now I’m down a boost rabbit hole. Waiting ($) for a good rangemaster…. So, yes… all filled:confused:..

JoeNeri

Friend of Leo's
Chicken. Egg. Pedals. Board. Which came first? Who cares?

To answer the OP‘s question, No. I currently use a Pedaltrain Micro (old one - holds 4 pedals) on which I have 2 pedals. I use a 1-Spot daisy chain for power. Just switched to gigging with a headstock tuner.

Why do I even bother with a board for just 2 pedals? Easy set-up and tear-down, and I don’t like the mess of pedals and cables all over the stage floor. If we’re performing (4-piece blues/rock band) on a small stage, I’ll put the board on top of my amp.

But, no (again), I’m not tempted to add 2 more pedals just because there is room on my board. For now, I have all that I need and use.

Last edited:

Cyberi4n

Tele-Afflicted
Space for at least one more pedal, if not two.

There’s nothing else I really want or need though….

FC77A907-3D77-4AB6-8D84-987E7395916F.jpeg

Festofish

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I’ll usually use up all the power ports. If there’s space left…oh well.

bowman

Friend of Leo's
I have too many pedals, so I fill up every board. It’s not random, though- I do have a plan when I’m putting em on there. I recently built a board with 10 overdrives on it, nothing else. I thought it would be an easy way to quickly compare them with different guitars and amps, rather than constantly plugging and unplugging. It works very well for that. And just today I dug out several old pedals from the storage room, so I have more experimenting to do soon.

swarfrat

Tele-Meister
So far the EHX B9 is the only thing that doesn't fit inside the MX5, but I've yet to drag it to a gig. I did just order some RA 18" cables so I can put it where I want and dress my cables the way I want. But still a board seems like missing the boat with a floor modeler, even if they don't do something or other