Do you all have a "number one"?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by EsquireBoy, Nov 21, 2019.

Do you have a real number one?

1. I do and I seldom play my other guitars.

2. One gets played more than the others, but I have no problem sharing the love.

3. I don't and play all my guitars to suit my mood or my needs.

4. I own one single guitar, you spoiled brat!

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Tele-Afflicted

I do. You can barely see it in this pic where it is photo-bombing my tele:
    [​IMG]
    It's the ES-335 my wife gave me for Christmas in 2007. I had been sniffing around the ES-335s and my wife caught wind of the fact that I'd fallen in love with one. On Christmas Eve in front of the fire she surprised me with a little card that said, "Let's go get the guitar you want the day after Christmas. I walked on air for several days. Aren't wives great? However, besides the sentimental ties this guitar has turned out to be the most versatile guitar I own. Even if the call is for a Tele or a Strat, I rarely play a session without having the ES-335 there because it comes in handy so often. Here's a shot from 2009:

[​IMG]

Bob

Headless Axeman and EsquireBoy like this.
  2. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

My #1 go-to for ~45 years has been a Takamine F385, that may ultimately drive me to a legitimate 12 string electric...the black Hondo II I've had almost as long, but only had it playable in the last 4 years or so. The tenor banjo in the one picture is my Dad's Leedy Collegian...he got it at age 7 in 1932 (I cut the picture in half bc his name is on the pickguard--sorry).
    IMG_6527.JPG IMG_6528.JPG

EsquireBoy and P Thought like this.
  3. Seasicksailor

Seasicksailor Friend of Leo's

Aah! I thought it was too good to be true! :-D

EsquireBoy likes this.
  4. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Tele-Afflicted

What a nice gift! And it looks gorgeous too.

Bob Womack likes this.
  5. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Tele-Afflicted

OP here: many thanks to all of you guys for sharing pictures and stories about your number ones!
    Very interesting experiences from all of you. They are proof that, beyond the richness and variety of our personal relationships to guitars, we all share the same passion for them.

Here are the only two guitars I still own nowadays (no acoustic, after having had to regretfully sell my beloved Martin on which I wrote all my first songs and did my first gigs more than twenty years ago in high school):

My custom shop Esquire from 2017 with its glorious pickup from Eric Daw (pictured here with a very nice blackguard strap replica made by his wife Melissa Daw). It's been my #1 for many months now, from jazz to americana.
    IMG_9687.jpg

And my PRS McCarthy, also from 2017, with great PAF replicas from OX4 pickups and no splitting option. I've always found it a bit to fancy looking for my liking, but feel strangely attracted to it nonetheless. Each time I pick it up I blame myself for not playing it more often:
    IMG_9688.JPG

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.