Do you all have a "number one"?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by EsquireBoy, Nov 21, 2019.

Do you have a real number one?

1. I do and I seldom play my other guitars.

2. One gets played more than the others, but I have no problem sharing the love.

3. I don't and play all my guitars to suit my mood or my needs.

4. I own one single guitar, you spoiled brat!

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Tele-Holic

It certainly looks like it is: beautiful!

Doctorx33 likes this.
  2. marc2211

marc2211 Tele-Meister

I have 5 guitars ATM, down from last year, but I do have a 'number 1' - a Fender Strat I've had since I was ~15.

It needs a refret, so gets played less than the others (!), but in my mind is still no 1.

EsquireBoy likes this.
  3. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Tele-Holic

I feel your pain:D

nojazzhere likes this.
  4. Dan German

Dan German Poster Extraordinaire

Depends on how you look at it. I went with “I don’t...” because in the Big Picture, I do play them all in their turn. If you use the “house on fire” view of things, it would be my ‘65 Danelectro. I’ve owned it since I was 25, and it’s the one that’s not replaceable. (At this age, no other “identical” guitar would be the same.) If you were to look at my usage for the past two months, it’s my Logan. For some reason, it’s pretty much all I’ve played lately, but next month who knows? It would be easier to choose which one is NOT a candidate for No. 1, and that would have to be my 12 string. Of course, I’m reading about early 20th century blues right now, so I’m getting the itch, and maybe it will become my temporary No. 1 after all...

P Thought and EsquireBoy like this.
  5. Texicaster

Texicaster Tele-Holic

I had the '58 for sale but no legit offers! I was down to $1100 and snapped out of it! Silly to turn it into a partscaster but may make some changes to it. It's feather light 6.75 lbs and feels like half the Thin Skin's weight which is only 7.4 lbs....

I may put it back on the market one day at a reasonable price but not hurting for cash and like having it. I just have to play it first instead of after the WW!

6. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

Purty! Is that store-bought or what? Story?

7. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

From '80 to maybe '86 I played one electric which was a '65 mustang neck on an oak body I made with old P-90 and Strat pickups.
    But then I got a Strat and have been rotating guitars since.
    From '86 to '90 or so I put together multi pickup super Strat things exploring sound options and then I bought a Tele body and put together an Esquire, never having seen an Esquire but having concluded that I preferred SC pickups and bridge pickups.
    Now I play one of my "Esquires" every day, though I have a light one piece alder hardtail Strat with Jazzmaster bridge pickup that gets a lot of play too. And another far from stock Strat that gets play but needs a pickup potted.

Tomorrow I pick up a D'Angelico DC so we'll see if my taste changes!

EsquireBoy likes this.
  8. GibbyTwin

GibbyTwin Tele-Meister

somewhere between Asbury Park and Atlantic City
    I pretty much mix it up depending on my mood. For electrics, I have a couple Gretsches, a Tele, a Les Paul, and an Ibby and they all get played, although these days the Ibby not as much as the others.

9. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Friend of Leo's

Me too. ^^^
    The one I play the most is my 2005 Clapton Stratocaster, so it's #1.
    But I love being able to play my Tele for that style, and 335 type for that other style, and I've been taking all 3 to the gig, plus another Strat tuned to open D for slide. It's kind of silly to take 4 guitars to a club gig, I admit. But I love them all and am definitely a nerd - just ask my wife.

EsquireBoy and brookdalebill like this.
  10. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's

If I were forced to sell all my guitars but one, the PRS is the one I'd keep.
    The Tele is great to play too, and usually a little easier/more accessible to pull out and play.

EsquireBoy likes this.
  11. zeedoctour

zeedoctour Tele-Meister

Truth be told I have one that is the favorite. But it goes through cycles. I'll pick up another and realize it's so nice, I should play it more. So I do. Then the one I haven't played in a long time gets picked, and I play it all the time for a spell. Eventually I end up back at the favorite. If I was gigging, the favorite would get the most stage time, but the others have their role based on how they sound. I had to rationalize recently due to a long term expensive bout with cancer ... losing a guitar or two and cutting down to a more manageable number was not a bad thing. I still don't think I'd need more than 3 on stage, and I'm not playing on stage at the moment. I have 4 left. Each is brilliant. One of them however, is unbelievably good. The others are just outstanding.

EsquireBoy likes this.
  12. jackal

jackal Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

My current #1 is a USA natural ash Tele. I keep it in the living room with flatwounds on it as my wife is very sensitive to string squeak. It's heavy, but just feels good and has sustain for days. It's been modded several times, but is always #1. Currently has a no-name Chinese relic neck, Rutters USA bridge with Aluminum/Brass saddles, Railhammer P-90 neck pickup with a SD Quarter-Pound bridge pickup. It has some really ugly routing that is hidden by the scratch guard, but doesn't matter to me, as I will never sell it. It's the one I pick up everyday.

nojazzhere and EsquireBoy like this.
  13. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Tele-Holic

I guess one option would be to set it up for another tuning. This way it won't be ashamed of being compared to the WW anymore!

Texicaster likes this.
  14. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Tele-Holic

Flatwounds sound so great on a tele bridge pickup!

15. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Tele-Holic

I find that really interesting, thanks!
    That's strange because despite my OP, I feel like I could become a guitar collector too, as if there was no middle ground for me: a one and only "love till death" guitar OR a complete collection of all the wonderful guitars that I can possibly love. I would call it the Rory Gallagher / Bonamassa syndrome.

16. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's

I rotate mine. The current #1 is a battered MIJ ‘94 Tele I bought for £70 ($90) and cleaned/fixed up a little.

E811B9AE-8FA8-41F9-8C67-4F3573496D5C.jpeg

Deathray, EsquireBoy and JL_LI like this.
  17. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

E63E344A-1411-4060-BCE4-FA8EC8BBFBBB.jpeg I never really had a number one until just recently. I came by a CS ‘69 Strat and haven’t put it down. 60 cycle hum drove me mad on my other Fenders until I installed Noiseless pickups. This one’s different. The hum is barely noticeable under my at home playing conditions. I have clarity and chime I’ve never had before. I spend most of my time on the middle pickup and have changed my Express 5:25 settings so I have a “twang” channel and a “jazz” channel. I’m using the reverse slant bridge pickup a lot too. I’m loving it. I was never a relic fan but this one’s grown on me.

Deathray, EsquireBoy and G-52 like this.
  18. hollowman

hollowman Friend of Leo's

tele.jpg
    long time #1 my, beat up 'ol 1993 MIJ, modded with Lollar pups, rewired with new pots, comp saddles, medium jumbos. lots of Blood, sweat and tears spilled on this one

19. Sax-son

Sax-son Tele-Meister

I have several number ones! Truth be told, I am a lazy son of a gun so I play the guitars that are already out there on the stands. I have build most of my guitars and they are all voiced a little different. From time to time, I will switch them around so that the strings don't get rusty. Aside from the pickups and electronics, they are pretty much the same as so far as neck profiles and radius so there is not that extreme of an adjustment when I switch them out. I am pretty satisfied will all of them at this time.

EsquireBoy likes this.
  20. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

story telling time. My evil twin Skippy says "don't go wasting evabody's time with this crap". Sometimes, he's right. But I have to have a consistent policy of ignoring him, because you never know what he's up to.

I started playing in 1966. I lived in what was then a small town. Owning more than one guitar at a time was more or less unheard of. Starting out, my left handed brother and I had one guitar between us - he took one for the team and we left it strung as a right handed guitar. A ten-dollar classical guitar my sister brought back from Mexico. I learned my chords from a 30's era Nick Manoloff chord book that was discovered in the piano bench of the second-hand piano my mom played.

Simpler times, you might say. One year later, after discovering that playing guitar was way more fun than homework, my sister got me another guitar; this time, $40 of Mexican classical guitar. That was a very nice instrument, wish I still had it, but it disappeared into the hands of nephews after I left the family home at 17. By then, I had gotten my second guitar, a Harmony Sovereign flattop, which I later traded for a blinged up Japanese copy of a Gibson Hummingbird. 1970; another story.

During high school, a friend allowed me the use of a pretty nice SG Custom, white, along with his Kustom tuck and roll head and speaker 100W amp. He came from a nice suburban family and it was very generous of him to do so. I have sort of a large nostalgia for SGs as a result.

other stuff happens, I end up with a fair to middling flattop, a swedish made Goya. Had a wider than normal fretboard, as I recall, and helped develop some fingerstyle playing as well. Was also "experimenting" with alternate tunings, etc. Open G and Open D mostly. A confirmed bedroom player, had only done a few sporadic gigs of very little consequence.

Married at 19. At first, that had very little impact, but then children arrived, etc. Playing time became constricted, but still managed at least an hour a day. Year after year, the same Goya. My daughter has that guitar now. And well she should, she helped usher in the next two eras of guitarness.

first, by the time she is 15, she become interested in playing guitar and specifically guitar in a punk rock band. The father of her best friend at the time happened to own three guitars. He is a geophysicist, but had a rock and roll period. One of the three is an SG which he offers to sell me for $100. Done! This is around 1995, I think. It's a ten year old SG at the time, an 80's era, large headstock, rectangles for fret markers, etc., classic mahogany and black pickguard SG, though. Still have it. Its a wonderful guitar, still have it.

by now, Skippy is saying, where the hell are you going with all this?

Oh, yeah, the number one. Fast forward to uh, I don't maybe 2003. By this time, I'm playing in a mostly acoustic trio, monthly gig with some side stuff thrown in. Because I have the SG, I start bringing this to the gigs for fun. why not. I'm playing through a Frontman 25. yeah, baby! And then one day, I'm in Guitar Center, just to get an A/B/Y pedal, and hanging on the wall is a Peavey Reactor, their sad little version of a T-style. It's not half bad though. For some reason, i could not get that guitar out of my mind. Hung around in my brain space for two weeks and then I went back, it was still there and with the same Frontman 25, i fell in love with the single coil pickup. go figure.

Ok, well after all this drivel, none of the guitars I have mentioned so far are the number one. Sure, each spent a little time there. But the real number one is an MIM James Burton standard, with Texas Special pickups. It's number one, because I now have a weekly gig at a beatup beer joint, every wednesday, playing in a house band that does originals and covers and that telecaster can easily do whatever I need it to.

but I have others, which I play from time to time or take to gigs, because why not? Still have the SG, put a P-94 (humbucker sized P-90) in the neck; a strat, a les paul studio with P-90s, and three other tele style guitars. I did go through a serious GAS period, no denying that, but why would I want to? I simply love guitars. Shoot me.

Skippy says, "uh, hey, loan me your old .22 and let me take a few shots". He is evil.

Here's the old SG and el numero uno, enshrined in the beat up beer joint where I have played once a week for the last eight years.

85 SG.jpg
    MIM JB std at Hops House.jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.