Do you all have a "number one"?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by EsquireBoy, Nov 21, 2019.

Do you have a real number one?

1. I do and I seldom play my other guitars.

2. One gets played more than the others, but I have no problem sharing the love.

3. I don't and play all my guitars to suit my mood or my needs.

4. I own one single guitar, you spoiled brat!

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire

My Tele is my #1 unless I am playing my Strat .

beagle likes this.
  2. ddewerd

ddewerd Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

My very first electric is still my #1!

I bought a 1963 Tele at a garage sale in 1972 for $75 (with original case).

I have around a dozen other guitars (half electrics, half acoustics), but I only play them occasionally (I do have a #1 Washburn acoustic that does see some action).

I've done some mods to my Tele - crappy refin job when I first bought it, news PUPs (originals both died, but I still have them), a recent refret and Plek, and replaced volume and tone pots.

So yeah, I've been playing my #1 pretty much for 47 years!

Cheers,
    Doug

3. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

For the first thirty-plus years of playing, I rarely OWNED more than one guitar at the time....so I guess that means I had a #1........but then when I was able to afford several guitars, I switched back and forth with little "loyalty". But then, about twenty years ago, when I got my first Tele, and began seriously modding and adapting it, it "morphed" into my #1. The only downside to it was its weight. (8lbs) So, as I've posted, I built a new one, based VERY CLOSELY to that #1, only with a lighter weight body. (5lbs) I have an upcoming gig in which I'm gonna use the new one, and I'll make a final ( ;) ) decision. Both guitars have Warmoth "conversion" necks, (24 3/4" scale) with fatback profiles, Bootstrap pickups, and vintage-style three saddle bridges. I tend to "settle in" with things I find comfortable, and like to use "familiar" guitars on gigs. These two guitars are so similar, one will become a "backup" in case some disaster strikes the other one.

4. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Tele-Holic

That’s interesting! What makes you say it is your number one then?

nojazzhere likes this.
  5. idjster

idjster VERY grateful member Ad Free Member

My PRS Custom 408 is my #1 electric, though I do play my other guitars, just not as much. My Norman ('72 or '73) B20-12 is my #1 acoustic, though my Martin D15M runs a close second.

6. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Tele-Holic

I like that! :rolleyes:

nojazzhere likes this.
  7. Boxla

Boxla Tele-Meister

This is almost me to a T. My family would argue that I'm not a guitar collector but I really am not. I have maybe 20 guitars but I can tell you if I was a collector, I would have hundreds. Collecting is in my DNA and I always have to watch my collecting.

So although I have 20 guitars I always have one #1. I'm currently on my 4th number one. It's the only one I grab. It's the only one I play at a show, although I do have a backup for a string break, I plan to only play the one. I thought my last #1, which was a 97 PRS Custom 22, would be my last I was wrong. I got a Music Man Axis SS last year and it has put all other guitars of mine away. I see myself playing this one for the rest of my life.

But I am a number 1 guy for many things. It's just how my brain works. I have access to hundreds of the best golf clubs on a daily basis that I can get for free but I stick with my set. I could get any putter in the world but I stick with my old trusty #1. I love watches and could easily start buying up a bunch of cool watches but I want to only have one or two that I wear-and that's what I have.

nojazzhere and EsquireBoy like this.
  8. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

And I PROMISE it WILL be final.....well, at least until I change my mind.....;)

EsquireBoy likes this.
  9. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Poster Extraordinaire

They all have different feels and tones so I have no favorite.

10. Texicaster

Texicaster Tele-Holic

I was sold on my 2012 '58 Pure Vintage but hankered for a BSB and bought this Wildwood Thin Skin this summer!

It's just blows away any Telecaster I've played! Took it to a local shop and got to here a local pro play it and we were both speechless! Still have the '58 and a Wildwood Thinskin Strat and like them a lot for the different tones but for all around monster that will be the one I grab when the house is on fire it's this one!

wildwood.jpg

11. Marc Muller

Marc Muller Tele-Holic

Yes, but as I get older it gets more and more difficult.

12. mikestearns

mikestearns Tele-Meister

Fender MIM Black Label Strat I got when I was kid in '96 or so. I've upgraded all the pickups in it, but that's generally my go to guitar, though at home I play a '65 Kapa Cobra because thats the one thats sitting out, and in a metal band I play in sometimes I'll use a Jackson Rhoads V because the Strat doesnt' quite cut it for that, and who doesn't love an excuse to play a V?

Fretting out and EsquireBoy like this.
  13. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

I only have a few guitars now, and use all for gigs but the ones that get most work ( just love them, they are body parts)

are my 1997 ( parts changed out) Fender Tex- Mex Strat, and 1993 ( worn but not worn out!) Martin D-1
    "Till death..."
    20180911_102957.jpg 20180729_153306.jpg

P Thought, JL_LI and EsquireBoy like this.
  14. Matt Sarad

Matt Sarad Tele-Meister

My Melody Maker is my #1. I paid $125 for it in 1972. This was our first gigDoug Clifford on drums is in Branson with a house band. He has been playing for the Branson version of American Idol. I had the guitar refurbished a few years ago with a refret and a paint job over the multiple headstock breaks. The luthier, Laurent Brondel, discovered that the pickups are PAFs, T Tops. He switched their order. It sounds spectacular, but typical of the age, is hard to play in tune. It sounds more t my liking than my SG with Throbak TTops. The old PAFs have more growl. The two young ladies pictured are Jani, my girlfriend at the time, and Arlette.

C3DDB68C-33E7-4835-8EDB-EB6D8D8388E6.jpeg

15. chillybilly

chillybilly TDPRI Member

I got an ebony satin ES-339 a few years back and went to town on it indulging all my wish list items. Antiquities, Bigsby, Vibramate spoiler, speed knobs, Towner bar.

Remember Terry 'Toad' Philllips from American Graffiti? 'I'll love and protect this car (guitar) until death do us part!'

Well, that was me with my ES. And it loved me back. Was always autopilot-type player, always will be. But as my tone cleaned up out of need, preference and material in a band I found myself pulling the old EJ Strat out more and more often. I was like 1970s Clapton with Blackie after a while. But single coils weren't enough. I once saw a quote, possibly in a magazine, by a famous musician. I wish I could recall it but it basically said in part 'A Strat goes "wee."' That's not a biological reference. What he was saying was that a Strat has an inherent plinky tone often referred to especially in contrast with Teles despite their sibling relationship. I yearned, as many autobiographies state, for something more.

Speaking of vows, the missus is far too good TO me and far too good FOR me. Which brings us to the present day and me (back) to this forum as she will be gifting me a particular T-style instrument. Brand rhymes with M*A*S*H. No it isn't a surprise but that's a non-issue. What is an issue is that I'm being made to wait until the actual birthday arrives. This is more uncomfortable than December 23rd is for a ten year old. :(

Now...how do I know this instrument will be The One especially after my serial courtships? I don't. But it's almost a process of elimination after owning various brands and models. I also once owned a Cunetto (I think) CS Nocaster. It wasn't a baseball-bat neck, fortunately, and was relic'd beautifully. But it was a cold fish. Diffident. Standoffish. Noncommittal. I returned the favor for its lack of affection by selling it off despite its relative rarity and marketplace demand (ie I took an unwitting bath on the price).

EsquireBoy likes this.
  16. Doctorx33

Doctorx33 Tele-Afflicted

[​IMG]

I'm gonna borrow this from Fiesta Red's post:

Yep.
    I have others.
    I use others.
    I love others.
    But this one ^ is “The One”

Deathray, P Thought, JL_LI and 3 others like this.
  17. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Tele-Holic

Very nice catch! I get it that you keep the other guitars, but what makes you keep the 58 tele then?

18. ScottJPatrick

ScottJPatrick Friend of Leo's

My 1975 Tele, traded a '76 Firebird for it in about 1980, been with me to practically every gig I've played, lots of pickup changes over the years. Play my others too, depends what I'm doing but the Tele is the most versatile.

IMG_6742.JPG

Doctorx33 and EsquireBoy like this.
  19. mad dog

mad dog Friend of Leo's

Suddenly, I do. A reverend double agent 20th anniversary. Did not expect this guitar to instantly dominate my musical scene, but it's happening. Actually, context determines number one. For jazz practice, it'll always be another. Usually the '61 Guild X-50. But even for jazzier stuff, I find myself picking up that Reverend. Maybe the most versatile guitar I've tried. For years, a unique tele partscaster (chandler body, ash with thin spruce top, Don Mare Nancy set) was the one I always picked up first. Sheer luck to find another guitar that good.

EsquireBoy likes this.
  20. lousy13

lousy13 Tele-Meister

My 52 AVRI. Then a collection of other tele's and my 335.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.