Do Ya Dare Me....

Crowcaster

Tele-Holic
....to go wave $400 cash at them? I took this pic at a pawn shop on Oct 14, 2021. Today they had it marked down to $485. I've always looked for a deal on the Desert Yellow RG550 or a used RG652. I like Jackson's Soloists more than Ibby's but I'd feel good about myself getting a Japanese RG for $400.

Ibanez.jpg

rz350

Friend of Leo's
How do you feel about the Floyd Rose? I can't deal with them myself, I like 50's Stratocaster Trems myself...

Someday I'll get a Floyd Rose just to find out...

Skyhook

Tele-Afflicted
RG:s are excellent guitars and that one's pretty to boot.
Don't like the Floyds myself, but that's neither here nor there.

Regarding your original question: Sure, go for it.
It's not like you're robbing them. They probably paid like $200(tops) for the thing themselves.

Skyhook

Tele-Afflicted
I want an Ibanez. My friend owns an Ibanez bass

I've got an Ibanez guitar(RT 150 VW) and an Ibanez bass. Stalwart workhorses the both of them.
I can't tell you which bass I have because I get conflicting info on that.
The model on the headstock doesn't match the actual bass(I should start an 'ID my bass' -thread).

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
....to go wave $400 cash at them? I took this pic at a pawn shop on Oct 14, 2021. Today they had it marked down to $485. I've always looked for a deal on the Desert Yellow RG550 or a used RG652. I like Jackson's Soloists more than Ibby's but I'd feel good about myself getting a Japanese RG for $400.

View attachment 944538
If that was at a Cash America pawnshop, you could tell how much they owned the item for. A friend used to work for them, and every item at Cash America has a code on it, based on MARY LOUISE. M=1, A=2, R=3, Y=4......up to E=0. So you might find a code of MEEEE, which translates to $100.00. That is what they paid for something when it came in. Knowing that, it's easier to negotiate a price.
The other "trick" is.....pawn shops are more likely to negotiate toward the end of a month, when sales goals are needing to be met.

Midgetje94

Friend of Leo's
If that was at a Cash America pawnshop, you could tell how much they owned the item for. A friend used to work for them, and every item at Cash America has a code on it, based on MARY LOUISE. M=1, A=2, R=3, Y=4......up to E=0. So you might find a code of MEEEE, which translates to $100.00. That is what they paid for something when it came in. Knowing that, it's easier to negotiate a price.
The other "trick" is.....pawn shops are more likely to negotiate toward the end of a month, when sales goals are needing to be met.
Interesting. I know all shops use a similar thing. Used to work for a local mom and pop shop (both in Sherman, and in Bonham Tx) we used LONESTAR GIRL. But cool to hear a corporate coding lol

985plowboy

Poster Extraordinaire
Let’s run a simulation.

NO!

Did that hurt your feelings?
Because that’s the worst case scenario.

I’d offer $350 and settle at $400 cash out the door.
Let them know you actually have the cash money in your pocket and are ready to buy if y’all can agree on price.
It’s a game.
But hey, don’t even talk to them if you aren’t serious.
Nobody wants their time wasted.

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Let’s run a simulation.

NO!

Did that hurt your feelings?
Because that’s the worst case scenario.

I’d offer $350 and settle at $400 cash out the door.
Let them know you actually have the cash money in your pocket and are ready to buy if y’all can agree on price.
It’s a game.
But hey, don’t even talk to them if you aren’t serious.
Nobody wants their time wasted.
In the "old" days, you could sometimes make that work better when you said, "All I've got is $350 CASH on me". Then the seller might decide to take the bird-in-hand, rather than risk losing a sale. Nowadays, though, they'll point to a nearby ATM, and say, "I'll wait 'til you get the additional cash." They might even offer to pay the ATM fee out of the sales price.
But you're absolutely right about "time wasters"......the quickest way to make me shut down a transaction is if I get the slightest hint the other party isn't serious.