Do We Owe Hootie & the Blowfish An Apology?😀

staxman

Tele-Afflicted
I’m originally from South Carolina and heard Hootie & the Blowfish back when they were just a hardworking bar band. I never really understood the vicious blowback not long after their hit album, Cracked Rear View. I recently saw this thoughtful article in Esquire that takes a deep dive into the subject. It’s kinda long so I’ll just post two paragraphs to give you the gist. The link to the entire article is at the bottom. This should be like red meat for a lot of you…
😂

“The Blowfish Backlash was the debut of a very new-millennium kind of viciousness, and it came out of nowhere. The band’s 1994 major-label debut, Cracked Rear View, was a staple of every college party, sports bar, and pleasant mainstream rock station of mid-1990s. By the end of 1999, the album had sold 16 million copies, and it still sits in the list of top 20 best-selling albums of all time, where it will probably stay forever because nobody’s ever going to buy albums again.

We treated Hootie and the Blowfish with the performative viciousness that pervades our current cultural moment. We turned on one of our own, just for fun, as children do. We belittled them like we have not done another major mainstream rock band before or since. We bullied Hootie and each Blowfish, and we liked how it felt, so we didn’t stop. We laughed them out of the game for no good reason, while we let Dave Matthews Band continue kicking around the same hacky sack for their next few albums. We shamed them in a way we never did Counting Crows, and to this day Adam Duritz walks the earth with a hairdo that answers the question: what if a fireworks display could be brown?”

Entire article here:

blowtorch

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I've only ever liked this one H&tBF song

and I always pictured the singer as a white guy in a skinny lapel suit with a skinny tie, wearing wayfarers. I was surprised to learn otherwise

Bruxist

Friend of Leo's
Nah, Nickelback has it coming to them. They're the new Creed, not the new Hootie.

I agree with you, musically. But leaving the artistry aside, it seems to be the same phenomenon. Some things go from insanely popular to nigh-universally reviled.

I personally think it is people who liked these artists originally that turned on them. People who didn't care are likely not to have that level of passion about them. But maybe I am just speaking for myself.

Oversaturation in media certainly does not help.

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I’m originally from South Carolina and heard Hootie & the Blowfish back when they were just a hardworking bar band. I never really understood the vicious blowback not long after their hit album, Cracked Rear View. I recently saw this thoughtful article in Esquire that takes a deep dive into the subject. It’s kinda long so I’ll just post two paragraphs to give you the gist. The link to the entire article is at the bottom. This should be like red meat for a lot of you…
😂

“The Blowfish Backlash was the debut of a very new-millennium kind of viciousness, and it came out of nowhere. The band’s 1994 major-label debut, Cracked Rear View, was a staple of every college party, sports bar, and pleasant mainstream rock station of mid-1990s. By the end of 1999, the album had sold 16 million copies, and it still sits in the list of top 20 best-selling albums of all time, where it will probably stay forever because nobody’s ever going to buy albums again.

We treated Hootie and the Blowfish with the performative viciousness that pervades our current cultural moment. We turned on one of our own, just for fun, as children do. We belittled them like we have not done another major mainstream rock band before or since. We bullied Hootie and each Blowfish, and we liked how it felt, so we didn’t stop. We laughed them out of the game for no good reason, while we let Dave Matthews Band continue kicking around the same hacky sack for their next few albums. We shamed them in a way we never did Counting Crows, and to this day Adam Duritz walks the earth with a hairdo that answers the question: what if a fireworks display could be brown?”

Entire article here:

Hate?......nah, for me it's indifference. There's so much bad music in the world, if you waste time "hating" it, you'll die a shriveled up old sour-puss. Plus, every now and then, I'll re-visit music I didn't like years ago, and realize some of it's pretty good. Just let it sit there and "marinate" for a while, and it might somehow surprise you.
As a co-worker liked to say.....that's why they make vanilla AND chocolate ice cream. ;)

arlum

Friend of Leo's
Platinum Supporter
Once this thread reminded me of Nickelback I'd say Hootie and the Blowfish or Arvin and the Dip Switches would be more than acceptable.

ale.istotle

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
I'm 6 songs into the Apple Essentials playlist and honestly it's nothing but hits. Darius' voice is smooth as ever. Really solid pop.
So far I'm thinking the hate is because it's too perfect and controlled. Everything is smooth, well produced. No sharp edges.
Ti-i-ihme. Why do you punish me?