1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Do we love Tele neck pickups?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Tele-friend, Feb 13, 2021.

How often do you use Tele neck pickup (single coil)?

1. Less than 25% of time

53 vote(s)
    14.0%
  2. 25-50% of time

107 vote(s)
    28.2%
  3. 50-75% of time

115 vote(s)
    30.3%
  4. More than 75% of time

104 vote(s)
    27.4%
  1. rednoise

rednoise TDPRI Member

I always had trouble with my Tele neck pickup. It usually sounded kind of dull and characterless, although it was usually OK in combination with the bridge. I tried a Strat pickup (Dimarzio Virtual Vintage, I think) in that position, but I didn't like it. I should probably blame it on the pickup itself, since I didn't like it in my Strat, either. A year or two ago I installed a set of Fender Custom Shop Twisted Tele pickups. They sound excellent, especially the neck. All positions are very usable, and I spend a lot more time on the neck than I used to - probably 2/3 on the bridge, 1/3 on neck. My only problem is that both pickups are a little microphonic, and I can get squealing if I'm not careful. Point is, I finally found a Tele neck pickup I like: the Fender Twisted Tele.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2021
    Tele-friend likes this.
  2. donrichfan

donrichfan Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

upload_2021-2-16_12-41-5.jpeg

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  3. Winky

Winky TDPRI Member

I like the neck pickup in my Tele. It's not for everything, but it's useful, for sure.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  4. Funkysmell

Funkysmell Tele-Meister

I'm a pretty big fan of it myself. I dig the warm sound, contrasts the bridge very well. I think it sounds really nice with some chorus on it too.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  5. zumajim

zumajim TDPRI Member

I got tired of trying to compete with my bandmate's Les Paul on rhythm parts where I'd go to the neck on my 2014 Baja Tele. Yanked the single coil, routed the body for a humbucker and installed a Seymour Duncan JB '59. Big mistake in retrospect. The humbucker is huge and fat as it should be, but it now completely overpowers the bridge pickup (also a Seymour Duncan, a vintage repro Broadcaster single coil). The guitar is so awfully of balance now: Switching from bridge to middle or neck and I get all midrange and a big jump in volume. I'm considering reinstalling a slightly hotter single coil neck PU (with metal cover like the original.) Would like some recommendations on what to buy to "restore" this axe.

6. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

7. donrichfan

donrichfan Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

My favorite Tele neck pickup is a Barden Gatton. I've mostly been an Esquire dood and never really cared for a Tele neck pickup, but I played a Tele with Bardens recently and realized I might have been missing out, so I ordered a set of JBE Modern Ts. Hopefully I'll be able to drop them in a guitar this weekend.

El Tele Lobo and archetype like this.
  8. kohoutec

kohoutec Tele-Meister

The 2 Teles I currently own with SCs are a Baja and a partscaster.
    The baja obviously has the Twisted Tele, which I'm a fan of, so that gets a lot of use (rewired the 4 way to put the neck in position 4 so it feels more like a 'normal' Tele)
    The partscaster just has relatively cheap Iron Gear pickups in it, but regardless the neck position is my favourite..
    So yep, I'm a neck man

9. That Cal Webway

That Cal Webway Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Love my Fender Performer T pup!
    Rich, balanced.

10. Oxidao

Oxidao Tele-Meister

I'm wondering if just pro-people (playing usually in a band context),
    would shift to the neck when playing alone...

... or a happy song
    haha

Last edited: Feb 16, 2021
  11. Stratocaster4life

Stratocaster4life TDPRI Member

Crunchy bridge pickup for rhythm, bassy neck pickup for solo, both pickups set to reverse polarity for a little extra volume where needed.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  12. CinPA

CinPA TDPRI Member

I almost always use the middle position. I love the separate volume & tone controls on Les Pauls to blend varying amounts of each PU and will be modifying my Tele similarly in the near future (a retirement project).

13. Arfage

Arfage Tele-Meister

Believe it or not, after five Fender and Duncan tele neck pickups the one I like best is a cheap Dragonfire from eBay that looks like a Quarter Pounder without the ridiculous coil wind (it's about 7k). Clear toasty coffee flavored neck tones like The Wind Cries Mary are there is spades.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  14. chucker

chucker TDPRI Member

the neck pickup on my squire bullet tele has a very usable sweet tone. the bridge pickup is a sick duck.
    throwing modest money at a problem, i have a set of dimarzios going into my next build.
    for my playing, the neck position is no problem in getting a jazz sound, and the bridge is quite astounding and unique in its own way, so you have pretty good capability there depending on the tune and your approach. if i could find another electric guitar with the two unique sound thing i would get one.

15. Robert Graf

Robert Graf Tele-Meister

Not true. In fact, with EMG, they sell a Tele neck pickup potted in a Strat cover, for use on Strats.

16. rednoise

rednoise TDPRI Member

Really?? Which one is that? I don't see it mentioned in any of the descriptions.

17. Fatlip

Fatlip TDPRI Member

I’ve got a 62 custom reissue and a MIM tele with Lollars vintage pickups in it. I love the neck pick up on both guitars. The Lollar pickups are very clean but with the tele twang and bark. I slightly prefer the 62 reissue stock pups. A little warmer and a little more bite. I use the neck pickup about 50% of the time. I love it. When I had stock pups in my Mexican, I didn’t like the neck pup at all, I didn’t like the stock bridge pup for that matter. I cringe at the sight of humbuckers and p-90s in a tele and esquires are like boxing with one hand behind your back... JMHO....
    62 custom tele reissue pickups

18. Maguchi

Maguchi Tele-Holic

I wasn't looking at his neck man.

Love the neck pickup. Especially with a 4 way switch that gives you the neck and bridge in series.
    Great lead sound! Ive got the 4 way switch on all my Teles

RW Board-1.jpg SB Tele HB.jpg

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  19. zekester

zekester TDPRI Member

Mine is a California Series, MIA, '97 Tele. As such, it has a Fender humbucker in the neck position, a Fender Tex-Mex bridge pickup, a 5-position pickup selector switch, and a 6 saddle bridge. Pickup switch positions 2 & 4 involve coil-tapping the humbucker (2= humbucker only, as a single-coil pup; 4= humbucker as a single coil + Tex-Mex pup). Fender enabled these Teles to be 100% usable, sonically, and adjustable, mechanically. It's a damn shame that some Tele players feel that their single coil at the neck position is unusable.

20. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

That was a had question to answer as I love the middle position most.
    That being said it involves the use of the neck, which I use mostly.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.