Do we love Tele neck pickups?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Tele-friend, Feb 13, 2021.

How often do you use Tele neck pickup (single coil)?

1. Less than 25% of time

53 vote(s)
    13.9%
  2. 25-50% of time

108 vote(s)
    28.4%
  3. 50-75% of time

115 vote(s)
    30.3%
  4. More than 75% of time

104 vote(s)
    27.4%
  1. Willie Johnson

Willie Johnson Tele-Afflicted

I like the Tele neck pickup on my Bullet as much as any of the neck pickups in my three Strats. It's different, and does a mellow jazz tone better than any of my other guitars.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  2. Telecaster88

Telecaster88 Tele-Afflicted

When I was young and reckless I lived on the bridge pickup. In my current middle age, it's always the middle for me. So I guess as an old man I'll stick to the neck.

AAT65, Tele-friend and TokyoPortrait like this.
  3. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Never ever

donrichfan likes this.
  4. Tommyd55

Tommyd55 Tele-Holic

Fender CS Twisted Tele's on a 4way.. Bridge alone is least used but is possibly the best Tele bridge p/u I've had. I think it might even be better than the JD I had in it for the last 4 years and a lot of players believe the JD is one of the best .
    Love both the neck and middle positions a lot, and the added 4th position is pretty darn good as well. ..

Last edited: Feb 13, 2021
    El Tele Lobo likes this.
  5. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Between my Cavalier Lion King and my O.C. Duff Big Boy.

I'm not sure which one I like over 75% of the time.

The neck pickup in my AV58 sounds great too.

El Tele Lobo and John_B like this.
  6. jayhaknavy02

jayhaknavy02 TDPRI Member

Agreed. I put in Cavalier fat lions. Great neck, bridge and the 4th position rocks, especially with the “no load” tone pot mod. I still prefer the Strat neck in some ways, but it’s not better, just slightly different, more bell like, however the Tele in a mix would be hard to separate. I get 3 great and 1 good positions out of my Tele and with the Strat 2 great (2/4) and one good (neck) with 3 pickups. Backwards.

Not sure what Tele magic there is but I wish I had bought one earlier in life. Just thought they were country guitars. Killer classic rock and blues guitar now.

7. Mojohand40

Mojohand40 Tele-Afflicted

Since I went to nocaster pups in my main telecaster, I do end up using the neck alone or the mid switch (both pups) more than I used to, but I always used all three positions a lot while favoring the bridge only slightly more.

I find for heavy metalish kinda dark rythm stuff (which I dont do a lot of, just sometimes..) the neck pickup tone rolled right, high gain can be killer. Think Black Sabbath some Zeppelin stuff.
    Suprising how well the nocaster does this.

jayhaknavy02 likes this.
  8. John_B

John_B Tele-Meister

Never liked a Tele neck pup for over 40 years but I know there are great neck pups being made everywhere. My next Tele will be a Tele, not Esquired. O C Duff and Fralin have my attention and I see a lot of respect for the Dimarzio TK neck.

I need an education on Tele neck pups for Honky Tonk country music.

Great pups and amps abound today. We all have it so lucky though I can't afford a Matchless or Grammatico amp :(

Chicago Matt and El Tele Lobo like this.
  9. Wallaby

Wallaby Friend of Leo's

Both my Tele's neck pickups sound beautiful. One is a Don Mare Hayride neck, and the other is a AV '64 stock gray bobbin.

I don't doubt what people say to the contrary, but it's just not the case for me.

gabasa and El Tele Lobo like this.
  10. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

All good for me with an ordinary Tele ( 2004 Standard, Midnight Wine) neck pickup- good swingy clean Blues ( or nastier with some OD), and good R&R or Rockabilly lead in combination with the bridge PU.

I only bring one guitar to a gig, so all pickup combinations get used- variety.of the music calls for it.

My Tele is nothing special, but a good player ( heavy, though)
    20210103_141104.jpg

Last edited: Feb 14, 2021
  11. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

The bridge is the classic Tele country sound, but for blues it's all about the neck pickup. To me, a good Tele neck pickup is Stratty, but a little sweeter and more delicate with a bit less spank or attack than a Strat neck one. I'm 90% neck on any guitar.

Oxidao likes this.
  12. 65 Champ Amp

65 Champ Amp Tele-Afflicted

Less volume? Ask someone if you could borrow a screwdiver.

“A kind of colorless sound”?

:lol:

13. CoastalTwang

CoastalTwang TDPRI Member

I started playing a Tele in 1992, after some time with them I realized that the neck pickup is for when you need to blend into a live mix. The bridge pickup is for when you want to jump to the front of a live mix.
    Very simplistic thinking, yes. But over thinking is for the studio.

14. Call Me Al

Call Me Al Tele-Meister

My electric, my one and only, is a Tele. Frankly I find it bright and run the neck only 100% of the time. Granted, I’m playing at home and might like that bite if I’m playing in a band. But I do wonder if I should have gone for a humbucker, or mod my Tele...

15. Fenderdad1950

Fenderdad1950 Tele-Afflicted

A Nocaster pu is awesome. What is colorless, is the noiseless neck pu in my 2020 Nashville. But I am pretty much a middle pu on that guitar. That's a carry over from my Strat days, I found it more of a 'in your face' sort of pickup. I have Texas Specials in my #1 guitar below, so the neck pickup is a blues player. 20210131_145032~2.jpg

Controller and Tele-friend like this.
  16. tfarny

tfarny Poster Extraordinaire

Usually in a full band you want your guitar on the bridge to get that bite and be heard without being too loud - it's not just brightness but the sharp attack. When you iso a guitar track it often sounds terrible by itself - thin and screechy.
    Playing at home you tend to want the fuller spectrum of a neck pickup that sounds more like an acoustic, nothing wrong with that. Maybe try some radical tweaking of your amp settings, you might find more useful sounds from your guitar if you go for less treble and more mids from the amp, tweaking from the middle position or the bridge.

jayhaknavy02, Oxidao, Antoon and 2 others like this.
  17. Kungpow!

Kungpow! Tele-Meister

Neck always seemed muddy, too dark, for me. Play mostly clean chords, low gain stuff.

But I'm trying to love it. I would like to try a coverless neck pup one day.

18. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Tele-Afflicted

I have always heard that a lot, so much I thought I must be weird or something, playing the neck pickup most of the time.

I'm happy to see so many are like me. I stay on the neck most of the time, no matter which guitar I play. I use the bridge pup only to cut through the mix, add variety or to match a recording the few times I want to sound just the same.

19. irie

irie Tele-Holic

add me to the "neck pickup most of the time" club

nicknklv likes this.
  20. Hamstein

Hamstein Tele-Meister

Never use it, - I like the sound of it but hit my thumb on it when thrashing away open handed like a madman, so Ive adjusted it right down thus rendering it unusably quiet, I could do with a hotter pickup that I can leave wound down but still gives me a usable volume, any recomendations?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.