1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Do we love Tele neck pickups?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Tele-friend, Feb 13, 2021.

How often do you use Tele neck pickup (single coil)?

1. Less than 25% of time

53 vote(s)
    14.0%
  2. 25-50% of time

107 vote(s)
    28.2%
  3. 50-75% of time

115 vote(s)
    30.3%
  4. More than 75% of time

104 vote(s)
    27.4%
  1. gabasa

gabasa Tele-Meister

A good one? Love it.

Like any pickup, it depends on your style of playing, tonal preferences, use of effects and what amp it's plugged into. There are many lovers out there.

2. AAT65

AAT65 Poster Extraordinaire

I mostly use the bridge, but I live the middle position on the Tele for cleaner sounds. The neck gets used less by itself: but it comes in for clean rhythm and for a contrasting tone on lead parts with distortion.
    I really enjoy the contrast between the bridge and neck pickups on a Tele.

3. Mur

Mur Tele-Afflicted

Used very little, although sounds nice in combination with bridge pup. Sometimes when I want instant "acoustic guitar" sound, I use neck pup only and strum lightly near that pup ..it somehow mimics an acoustic!

4. DavidP

DavidP Friend of Leo's

Yes to neck only, especially if it's a Microcoil or Keystone!

El Tele Lobo and Chicago Matt like this.
  5. jamesepowell

jamesepowell Tele-Holic

Maybe I'm just lucky, but the neck pickups on my '77 and on my 2010 Deluxe are both fantastic, especially the '77.

Oxidao and tintag27 like this.
  6. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Friend of Leo's

Can't really answer this question because my tele is indeed an esquire.
    But I've just watched a very interesting clinic with Jim Campilongo where he explains why he's almost never on the neck pickup, but switches between middle and bridge. To him, there's not enough difference between the tone of neck vs middle (at least on his own tele), and when he wants to switch to bridge PU, it's a shorter move from middle position than it is from the neck.

Greggorios and TokyoPortrait like this.
  7. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Friend of Leo's

I only use the bridge pickup about 10 percent of the time. I must be a weirdo.

navier, Turtleneck, howardlo and 2 others like this.
  8. Blues Twanger

Blues Twanger Tele-Afflicted

I own or have owned teles with the stock pickup, strat pickups, P90s, and humbuckers in the neck and enjoyed all three. I find the unique character of the stock type quite pleasant. Currently at my place this is a Seymour Duncan STR-1 Vintage.

9. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I had a specific look and sound in mind for the guitar in my avatar. There was nothing wrong with the neck pickup in it, standard Classic Vibe stuff. I bought a CV50 in Vintage Blonde with the express intention of creating an Esquire from it. The stock Classic Vibe pickup in the neck sounded so fine, I couldn't bring myself to do it.
    On both guitars, I spend a lot of/most of the time using the neck pickups. They're so....... Dammit, out of superlatives again. Into a small, simple, valve amp, played by a fat, simple me, they make me smile. Clean, overdriven or fuzz. It all works.

10. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Friend of Leo's

I love the "standard" Tele neck pickup. I love all three standard switch positions on a Tele but find myself on the neck close to 75% of the time, followed by the bridge alone and finally the middle position (especially for clean, funky rhythm). I hear a lot of the cleaner Hendrix sound with the standard neck pickup, and it can still twang when picked near the bridge. I'm sure it depends on amp settings, but I actually like the Tele neck PUs that are suppose to sound stratty less than the others.

I agree with Parco, the stock Tex Mex neck pickup in my 50s Roadworn Tele sounds fantastic - warm, fat but with articulation and a little extra dose of midrange. I really love it for early R&B and Blues, and soloing when turned up. I've tried numerous boutique Tele neck pickups but keep going back to the stocker in my Road Worn.

Listening to this guy made me decide to try a Tele, I was mostly a Strat neck pickup guy prior to hearing him. I love his neck sound especially:

wavytech, Moudi1, Greggorios and 3 others like this.
  11. Pawnzito

Pawnzito TDPRI Member

I use middle position 90% of the time. I use the neck with the tone rolled off for jazz vibes and the bridge for rocking out. I will say, my first tele I never used the neck but I think something was wrong with that pup cuz it was extremely dark and quiet. At the time I just thought that's how they were.

12. Tele-friend

Tele-friend Tele-Meister

I totally agree, we all have our tastes. There are no wrong or rights, it is only our opinions. But the fact is, that a Tele will always be an awsome guitar.

mimmo and RowdyHoo like this.
  13. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

I’ll use them if they’re voiced in a modern and brighter way. I won’t use them if they’re voiced like traditional vintage tele neck pickups. The furthest I go in that scenario is middle position.

14. hepular

hepular Tele-Holic

wired mine broadcaster blend, so it's 100% of the time for me ;)

15. timbgtr

timbgtr TDPRI Member

I use the neck pickup a lot on the Tele in the avatar, but it’s a GFS Fatbody. I also just added a 920D harness with a 5 position Lawrence style switch, which adds a position that’s just the neck and a little less muddy—a great jazz tone. I’m very happy with it, and the Fatbody is, like every GFS product, really inexpensive.

16. Dunedin2019

Dunedin2019 TDPRI Member

Love the neck pickup if it's a '50s Broadcaster type.
    Enough spank and bite and full and smooth with treble rolled off a touch.
    I stuck Oil City jobs in my MIM and they made a big difference.

ratdoc and tintag27 like this.
  17. PARCO

PARCO Tele-Meister

Yeah, position 4 does sound good. I can't deny that. The thing I like best about my Baja is the neck. Someday I'll correct the pick up part.

18. Guitarist1983

Guitarist1983 TDPRI Member

I just installed Duncan's Alnico II neck. It is sweet and mellow on its own and chimes well when combined with the bridge. I couldn't play a tele without a neck pup.

Chicago Matt likes this.
  19. Willy-son

Willy-son Tele-Meister

75% on a neck humbucker.

20. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

The '64 reissue is my favourite Tele neck pickup. Perfect.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.