1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Do we love Tele neck pickups?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Tele-friend, Feb 13, 2021.

How often do you use Tele neck pickup (single coil)?

1. Less than 25% of time

53 vote(s)
    14.0%
  2. 25-50% of time

107 vote(s)
    28.2%
  3. 50-75% of time

115 vote(s)
    30.3%
  4. More than 75% of time

104 vote(s)
    27.4%
  1. Billy3

Billy3 Tele-Meister

It is good!

2. kinkstah

kinkstah Tele-Afflicted

Out of my 3 Teles only my AV52RI has the classic neck single coil pickup, but I like it very much. Actually, on this Tele, I'm using bridge pickup 50% of the time, and neck pickup 50% also. I like the contrast/range offered by simply switching from one to the other (that, and using the control knob as needed). I barely use the middle position (both pus in parallel, which I achieve by moving the selector between 1-2 pos, as I never bothered to remove the 'vintage' wiring. Pos 1 & 2 are basically all I need/want on this one)

3. Jaypee

Jaypee TDPRI Member

This guy seems to be ok on any positions !

Think it's the place where you play when you choose this pu or this pu and as JD says it's beaucoup a fingers matter, Yeeha !!!

Last edited: Feb 18, 2021
    El Tele Lobo likes this.
  4. 5haun

5haun TDPRI Member

I just replaced the neck pickup in my 2007 MiM Telecaster with a 'Cruel Mistress' neck pickup (from Mr. Glyn's Pickups) and now I use it heaps more than I ever did before. I'm really loving this new pickup. Previously I only ever used the stock neck pickup clean, essentially as an amplified acoustic. Now I've got access to some great tones, neck only but blended too, especially with the extra switch position, bridge and neck in series, that I get with the ObsidianWire 4-way switching upgrade kit I installed.

5. bb70Tele

bb70Tele TDPRI Member

Use it all the time, I'm almost never on the bridge pickup. And I like clean tones, maybe just breaking up. Got a Fender MIJ hybrid indigo Tele with American Vintage '58 Single-Coil Tele pickups. The neck pickup, especially with the treble bleed circuit, can do a range of great tones. And for some extra power, I can use positions 2 and 4 (4 being a series mod, that's standard on this guitar).

JKPickin and 5haun like this.
  6. middy

middy Friend of Leo's

I don’t like neck pickups in general. In fact, I don’t even have one.

7. Robert Graf

Robert Graf Tele-Meister

Just looked at their site, and all the signature sets have changed pretty much completely. It was one of the country Strat players who requested this, from what I remember. Thinking about it now, this was probably close to 20 years ago.

8. bendecaster

bendecaster Friend of Leo's

I use both and do NOT think the neck pickup is less powerful. In fact, I think I use the neck for more slide than the bridge. But what do I know..?

9. Aaron1061

Aaron1061 Tele-Holic

Saaame. Twisted Tele for days!

10. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Afflicted

I just put a neck pickup in my Esquire (I guess that makes it a 'double Esquire' now?) and I love it: My other Tele has very low output Fender OVs in it, which I've always liked the neck pickup in that, but this new one is better still: It's the 'matching' neck pickup for the one I already had in the bridge, from a UK winder called 'Oil City pickups' and I've wired it without a tone control connected. Add a bit of mid boost to fatten it if I want, but it sounds fantastic as it is. Middle position is lovely too. :)

11. Mike M

Mike M Tele-Holic

12. heffus

heffus Tele-Holic

I love brass covered neck pickups. They have to be lower wound though. In the low sixes dcr with 43 awg. Nice and husky but still clear. If they are too
    hot you can get the mud that so many people complain about. I don't get super bright neck pickups, that's what the bridge is for.

13. Jake909

Jake909 Tele-Meister

I'm 75% on the neck. My Fender Standard now has a Lollar Vintage T in the neck, his Special T for the bridge. With the swap, this guitar went from almost being offered for sale to now out on the stand within easy reach. Bought a used Fender 60th Anniversary Tele Special with Lollar's Imperial HB in the neck and his J-Street Bridge in that position. A great p'up combo. If you haven't heard the J-Street you might give it a listen.

14. teleplayer99

teleplayer99 Tele-Meister

Just posted about adjusting pups...my main reason was to increase volume of neck pup. Just bought this AV 52 used and the neck pup needed adjusting for more volume, and the bridge was set way too high for my tastes.

15. Jazzerstang

Jazzerstang Tele-Afflicted

I absolutely love a well voiced tele neck pickup. I especially like the early 2010ish Fender Original Vintage set.

16. dalezjc

dalezjc TDPRI Member

I never use the bridge pickup, so yes.

17. Gary in Boston

Gary in Boston Friend of Leo's

Ah.......... yeah I do. Always did.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.