Do We Like Gulid Acoustic Guitars?

rmsurve

TDPRI Member
I have heard many, many good things about Guild acoustic guitars and thought I might need some help.

A lot of them are very very expensive, but some of the cheapest I have seen are somewhere between $400 and $600. That's a decent enough price.

Martin and Ovation also make some pretty good 12 string acoustic guitars. Guild is also pretty good on basses, electric guitars and acoustic 12 string guitars.
I just love the shimmering, shimmering sound of 12 strings. The strings harmonize very well. Very flatwound sounding strings.

Part of the reason why I want a Guild 12 string acoustic is because Roger Hodgson of Supertramp uses them on his solo tours. He must really like Guild instruments. Tom Petty, Peter Cetera, David Gilmour and Stevie Ray Vaughan also used to play Guild back when they had 12 string guitars.

I currently own a First Act Acoustic guitar (which has 2 strings broken off of it, so I guess it can now be converted to a 4 string acoustic tenor guitar.)
I also own a natural finish Epiphone J200 acoustic guitar that I received from my mother as a Christmas present. My friend Ben also owns an Epiphone J200 acoustic guitar. I've heard that Guild acoustic guitars are better played with a natural finish, but I have also seen black and sunburst colored guitars.

If you agree that I should ask my parents for a Guild acoustic guitar for Christmas, please let me know. I have an acoustic amp. A few instrument stores in my city carry Guild guitars. I really wish that Fender still owned the rights to the Guild brand, because I thought that Fender did a pretty good job distributing the sales of Guild guitars. And Guild 12 strings are less expensive than Guild 6 strings.

And if you have any pictures of a Guild guitar, I'd like to see them.

rmsurve

TDPRI Member
I have heard many, many good things about Guild acoustic guitars and thought I might need some help.

A lot of them are very very expensive, but some of the cheapest I have seen are somewhere between $400 and $600. That's a decent enough price.

Martin and Ovation also make some pretty good 12 string acoustic guitars. Guild is also pretty good on basses, electric guitars and acoustic 12 string guitars.
I just love the shimmering, shimmering sound of 12 strings. The strings harmonize very well. Very flatwound sounding strings.

Part of the reason why I want a Guild 12 string acoustic is because Roger Hodgson of Supertramp uses them on his solo tours. He must really like Guild instruments. Tom Petty, Peter Cetera, David Gilmour and Stevie Ray Vaughan also used to play Guild back when they had 12 string guitars.

I currently own a First Act Acoustic guitar (which has 2 strings broken off of it, so I guess it can now be converted to a 4 string acoustic tenor guitar.)
I also own a natural finish Epiphone J200 acoustic guitar that I received from my mother as a Christmas present. My friend Ben also owns an Epiphone J200 acoustic guitar. I've heard that Guild acoustic guitars are better played with a natural finish, but I have also seen black and sunburst colored guitars.

If you agree that I should ask my parents for a Guild acoustic guitar for Christmas, please let me know. I have an acoustic amp. A few instrument stores in my city carry Guild guitars. I really wish that Fender still owned the rights to the Guild brand, because I thought that Fender did a pretty good job distributing the sales of Guild guitars. And Guild 12 strings are less expensive than Guild 6 strings.

And if you have any pictures of a Guild guitar, I'd like to see them.
GUILD D55 It doesn't get any better - One of the best guitars ever made some say the best guitar ever made!

Attachments

• IMG_0372.JPG
    IMG_0372.JPG
    278.1 KB · Views: 10

guitarhawg

TDPRI Member
I own a Guild Westerly Collection D-1212E. I really like it. It sounds nice both acoustically and electrically (through a decent preamp). I was inspired by the one Tom Petty played in his "Face in the Crowd" video...always thought it was cool. I didn't own a 12 string acoustic, so it really filled that hole for me!

Attachments

• du8ekc728qqgkuhcrzdq.jpg
    du8ekc728qqgkuhcrzdq.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 4
  • ik1bfvrn70i8i0zbvd8s.jpg
    ik1bfvrn70i8i0zbvd8s.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 5
  • up6ennlercgpb8v7tkox.jpg
    up6ennlercgpb8v7tkox.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 5

'64 Tele

Tele-Afflicted
1654177686964.png

First acoustic I ever owned (this is a pic I found on Reverb, not the one I owned) was a Guild D25M, which was the cheapest Guild in the lineup, although it was American made one at the time (early 80's) when I bought it used.
Had it for a few years, then sold it to bass player in the country band I was playing in at the time. He used it on several bluegrass CD's he recorded shortly after that time frame.
And, no, I didn't get my parents to buy it for me......:rolleyes:

Chandlerman

Tele-Meister
Six or seven years ago I bought an open box Guild 12-string for $280. It's one of the best purchases I've ever made. The guitar sounds as good as any costing 10 times as much and plays easily.

burntfrijoles

Poster Extraordinaire
They’re kind of “also ran” guitars, otherwise, IMO.
They were often easy playing, but not often great sounding guitars.
Whoa!
The guitars until at least the early 80s were fine instruments. Particularly their 12 strings. I owned a '79 D55 and it was as fine a guitar as I've ever played or heard. It was certainly better than my Martin D28.
I also owned a blonde maple Jumbo in the early 70s which awesome.
There were more than a few folks like Paul Simon who played them and I think Townshend still plays their 12s.
I have no idea about the modern era Guilds. They changed ownership several times.
It seems that their modern American made 12's are still held in high regard.

I typically agree with you on most things but I will differ this time. ;)

marshman

Poster Extraordinaire
I got my new Guild Baritone 8-string (BT-258E) on Friday and am very happy...it sounds wonderful, and like any jumbo, booming and loud. Appears to be solid wood construction, though the headstock is glued on (like pretty much all my other acoustics) and fit and finish seem to be excellent, but I'm still in the honeymoon phase. I have not yet had an opportunity to plug it in, so I can't comment on the pickup/preamp as yet. I waited months for my local shop to get one, but it just wasn't happening, and then I got a 15% coupon for MF and pulled the trigger. Shipped to my door for $600

There is a bit of a learning curve with the baritone, and some songs don't feel like they'll "work" quite right on baritone, at least not without a capo. But I'm having some fun strumming it out. Haven't used a pick much, it's insanely loud like that.

It did not come with a case, though it just fits into the case my Takamine 12-string jumbo rides in, so hopefully a decent 12-string acoustic case will do the trick. I will also check my acoustic bass guitar case, to see if it fits that, though my bass has a pretty small body.

bonzo898

Tele-Meister
No experience with newer Guilds, but I snapped up a 76 Westerly-built D-50 a couple years ago when I was in the market to buy my first “serious” acoustic guitar. It was notably better than the modern Martins, Taylors, and Gibsons I was trying out against it. I had fully intended to buy one of the big brands until I happened across the Guild, but I followed my ears and my hands. No regrets. They are heavily built by modern standards but mine at least is very sturdy/stable with smooth, low action and a beautiful balanced tone. It hasn’t even needed a seasonal truss rod adjustment since I first set it up despite never being in it’s case. Results may vary as I do recall trying a vintage D25 that was ROUGH sonically and aesthetically, but probably because of poor maintenance.

Charlie Bernstein

Poster Extraordinaire
Their 12 string guitars, especially early ones (60s-70s) distinguished themselves as good instruments.
They’re kind of “also ran” guitars, otherwise, IMO.
They were often easy playing, but not often great sounding guitars.
Modern ones aren’t particularly impressive, IMO.
It depends on the ears and the guitar. To my ears, my Guilds sound and sounded better than any of the Gibsons and Martins I've owned. And there's plenty of volume — as loud as the Martin D-28 I sold when I realized I was always reaching for the Guild.

But it's a distinctive sound, not for everyone. I love the scoop and twang — the same reason I love my Tele!