Do they make wider neck electric guitars?

Legba-1967

TDPRI Member
Does anyone know if there is a wider than standard neck guitar for people with large hands? I have a Player Plus Nashville Tele that I love but I having an issue playing chords, actually a certain song that I used to play perfectly. A little about me I started playing in high school and got pretty good at songs I learned from books. I quit playing seriously for a few years and just started back getting serious about playing. The specific song I’m trying to play is Simple Man by Lynyrd Skynyrd. Like I said I used to be able to play this song perfectly when I was younger and still can pick it fine its just my hands seem to big to make the chords correctly on this guitar. They are pretty large. No matter how I try to position my hands my fingers always touch the adjoining strings. The only thing I can think of is getting a guitar with a wider neck for these chords up near the nut. This guitar does have a 12” radius fingerboard which I’m not used to so I don’t know if that could be an issue but I really feel like I just need a guitar with a wider neck. The Nashville isn’t going anywhere as I love everything else about it except up around the nut. I know on a classical guitar my hands feel right at home but I know I’m not gonna find an electric with that wide of a fretboard but just a bit wider than the Nashville would do I think.

edvard

Friend of Leo's
Warmoth makes up to 2" necks, and some guy named Big Lou does 2-1/8" necks.
The difference is in the money; Warmoth will build you a custom neck to your specs, but starting at just under $200. Big Lou makes a variety of neck styles rather randomly, so call or email for a list of what he has in stock. He may or may not have exactly what you want, but he only charges $100.

P.S. If you're looking for budget options, consider getting a cheap 7-string neck from Amazon or eBay, and cutting a nut for 6.

Last edited:

Legba-1967

TDPRI Member
Warmoth makes up to 2" necks, and some guy named Big Lou does 2-1/8" necks.
The difference is in the money; Warmoth will build you a custom neck to your specs, but starting at just under $200. Big Lou makes a variety of neck styles rather randomly, so call or email for a list of what he has in stock. He may or may not have exactly what you want, but he only charges $100.

P.S. If you're looking for budget options, consider getting a cheap 7-string neck from Amazon or eBay, and cutting a nut for 6.
I checked Warmoth’s site and I can get a Tele neck custom made with a 1 3/4” neck width for $350. I guess thats not bad. I have a Squier Bullet coming in this week that has a beautiful red sparkle body. It’s thinner than a normal Tele though so I don’t know if that neck would fit that body but if it would that would be a great platform for it. For some reason they don’t offer the neck in their 2“ nut width which would be perfect. I’d still like to find a stock guitar with a wider neck

Last edited:

edvard

Friend of Leo's
I just checked, and you are correct; the 1-7/8" necks are only available with a "Modern Construction" neck. That means you can still get a Tele headstock, but you'll also get the dual-action side-adjust truss rod, which isn't traditional but works well from what I've heard.

Warmoth's 2" necks says they are only available on "Modern Construction 3+3" necks, which of course would exclude the Tele headstock design. If I recall correctly, many Les Paul necks are 1-3/4"; maybe go to a local guitar dealer and play with one that width to see if it works for you.

P.S. 2" is a standard width for Classical guitar necks. I just checked mine, and it is 2-1/8". Not sure I'd want that in an electric, but then big ringing chords would not be a problem...

Last edited:

EsquireOK

Poster Extraordinaire
Optional neck widths on Fender instruments go way back to the '60s, with the 1 7/8" nut width being the largest available – but extremely rare. Most of the big-name licensed (and unlicensed) neck builders offer 1 3/4" as the maximum width (the second widest nut available in the old days).

Someone mentioned wider options above. I was not aware of them till now.

You can do a build-to-order G&L with a 1 3/4" nut. However, their wait times are quite long (and their build quality is not what it used to be).

Legba-1967

TDPRI Member
Does the body thickness of guitar determine the neck thickness as well. Like I said above I have a beautiful Squier Bullet coming that would make a great partscaster if the Warmoth neck will fit it. Don’t want to turn this into a Squier post but any help with this will be greatly appreciated. The Warmoth custom neck I chose is maple with a dark Indian rosewood fretboard and a 9.5 to 14” compound radius.
This is the body I’m talking about

Attachments

• 52C6EBF6-9BCE-4850-A80C-5634812E40E1.jpeg
    52C6EBF6-9BCE-4850-A80C-5634812E40E1.jpeg
    192.6 KB · Views: 11

Newbcaster

Tele-Holic
honestly, I suspect nearly anyone on here could make you a fir or plain not flamed maple neck for twohundy ish. I suggest going the full 2 inches at the nut.

just ask privately. There are even guys who do CNC and can whip this out fairly quickly. I'm just a lurker, but all of the regulars here would whip tail at this no questions asked!

I'd also ask you to reconsider the thickness of the neck. This point .95 at the nut business is for the birds. If you want a classical neck with a tele headstock... get what you want.

newb

RomanS

Poster Extraordinaire
I checked Warmoth’s site and I can get a Tele neck custom made with a 1 3/4” neck width for $350. I guess thats not bad. I have a Squier Bullet coming in this week that has a beautiful red sparkle body. It’s thinner than a normal Tele though so I don’t know if that neck would fit that body but if it would that would be a great platform for it. For some reason they don’t offer the neck in their 2“ nut width which would be perfect. I’d still like to find a stock guitar with a wider neck

You can get a Warmoth neck for WAY less than 350$ - last time I checked, their necks started at 157$, no upcharge for a 1-3/4" nut (I got a couple of those myself). If you want fancier woods, SS frets or a nut made by them, it will be more, but you'd have to go pretty fancy to reach 350$...

Legba-1967

TDPRI Member
You can get a Warmoth neck for WAY less than 350$ - last time I checked, their necks started at 157$, no upcharge for a 1-3/4" nut (I got a couple of those myself). If you want fancier woods, SS frets or a nut made by them, it will be more, but you'd have to go pretty fancy to reach 350$...
Yeah thats with a wider nut, 9.5 to 14” compound radius with a dark Indian rosewood fretboard And SS frets And a Tusq nut.

bgmacaw

Poster Extraordinaire
I ran across a Big Lou "Rebel" (aka, their T-style) used at a local Guitar Center in 2019. It was one with a wider neck (2"?) and they were selling it for $125. It seemed like a fairly solid guitar, about even with a Squier CV, although the tone pot was scratchy. It had a decent neck feel. I ended up buying a used octave fuzz pedal instead though.

radiocaster

Poster Extraordinaire
The Gibson Country Gentleman (and some versions of the Gretsch) and Tennessean have a 1.75" nut.

There were several Epiphone versions of the CG, including a cheaper one.

oregomike

Tele-Afflicted
Oh, I reached it alright. I tried not to but was like a kid checking all the boxes. I felt ashamed for a while. Ha.

Wayne Alexander

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Does anyone know if there is a wider than standard neck guitar for people with large hands? I have a Player Plus Nashville Tele that I love but I having an issue playing chords, actually a certain song that I used to play perfectly. A little about me I started playing in high school and got pretty good at songs I learned from books. I quit playing seriously for a few years and just started back getting serious about playing. The specific song I’m trying to play is Simple Man by Lynyrd Skynyrd. Like I said I used to be able to play this song perfectly when I was younger and still can pick it fine its just my hands seem to big to make the chords correctly on this guitar. They are pretty large. No matter how I try to position my hands my fingers always touch the adjoining strings. The only thing I can think of is getting a guitar with a wider neck for these chords up near the nut. This guitar does have a 12” radius fingerboard which I’m not used to so I don’t know if that could be an issue but I really feel like I just need a guitar with a wider neck. The Nashville isn’t going anywhere as I love everything else about it except up around the nut. I know on a classical guitar my hands feel right at home but I know I’m not gonna find an electric with that wide of a fretboard but just a bit wider than the Nashville would do I think.
If you want to keep your Nashville, buy a compatible aftermarket neck with a wider nut width. For instance, Warmoth will make a 1 3/4" and even a 1 7/8" wide neck, and Musikraft will make a 1 3/4".

One good electric I know of that has a 1.75" wide neck (at the nut) is the Rickenbacker 660. http://www.rickenbacker.com/model.asp?model=660

brookdalebill

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
The Gibson Country Gentleman (and some versions of the Gretsch) and Tennessean have a 1.75" nut.

There were several Epiphone versions of the CG, including a cheaper one.
My 2003 Gretsch 1959 Nashville Classic is such a beast.
It’s current model name is 1959 6122 Country Gentleman.
Mine was made before Gretsch had renewed their endorsement deal with Chet’s estate, hence the different model name.
I digress.
Agile makes a LP copy with a 1 3/4 inch nut
width.
It’s distinguishable from the other models.
It has a trapezoid inlay on the first fret.
Hamer made a few Strat and Tele replica models with 1 3/4 inch widths in the 90’s.
Larrivee Bakersfield (Tele-type), too.
Here’s the Agile, and my Nashville Classic .
E25A92F0-B916-4E5C-9150-0902623BFFD4.jpeg
ED6B02A1-1E4D-4DD7-A207-4BE68EB55C73.jpeg

P Thought

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
It surprised me how much difference 1/16 of an inch made, when I went to 1 3/4" nut widths for the same kind of reasons you mention. I've never felt the need to go any wider.

old soul

Tele-Holic
The Ibanez as53 has a slightly wider nut width than the teles have. Worth checking out if you like a 335 style

bender66

Poster Extraordinaire
Crikes. What is the purpose here? Is there a neck pocket this large?

The frets are finished nicely on the ends. No barbs. Looks straight.

Big Lou offers a strat headstock neck, so why does he do a rounded heel on a tele headstock?

Attachments

• 20220419_223010.jpg
    20220419_223010.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 17