Do these look like Highway One Telecaster Pickups?

Gorquin

Tele-Meister
I received a 2005 HWY1 Tele today and did some checking.

Someone did a very poor job leveling and crowning the frets as there are still nicks in them that you can feel with your fingernail although the guitar frets well...it doesn't have that zing acoustically like it should. The tuners need adjustment and/or lubing because they are very tight.

But, I'd like an opinion as to whether these pickups are original to a 2005 HWY1.

The neck pickup measures 7.36K in circuit and the bridge measures 9.89K in cirucuit.

The
hwy1-1.jpg
hwy1-2.jpg
hwy1-3.jpg
hwy1-4.jpg

Gorquin

Tele-Meister
AFAIK the original Hwy 1 pickups were the same as the Classic Series.
Plastic bobbins, no baseplate on the bridge and with plastic covered wire, white and blue neck, yellow and blue bridge.

That's what I thought Tuxedo but I know there were some changes over the years. The neck pup also says "Custom" and I thought I remembered reading that the early HWY1 pups measured around 6.4K.

Gorquin

Tele-Meister
It would be nice to know what pickups are in there. I haven't had a chance to run it through an amp yet. I have another parts Tele with a 2007 Fender Tele Neck, Rutters body, and Lindy Fralin low wind humbucker in the neck and a Rick looking Fralin Jazzmaster pickup in the bridge. Very Jangley. I'll have to compare the two guitars.

Perhaps the pickups will look familiar to someone??

G.Rotten

Friend of Leo's

Someone did a very poor job leveling and crowning the frets as there are still nicks in them that you can feel with your fingernail although the guitar frets well...it doesn't have that zing acoustically like it should. The tuners need adjustment and/or lubing because they are very tight.

But, I'd like an opinion as to whether these pickups are original to a 2005 HWY1.

The neck pickup measures 7.36K in circuit and the bridge measures 9.89K in cirucuit.

The View attachment 932634 View attachment 932633 View attachment 932632 View attachment 932631

Which model of Hwy 1?

The normal one, those are not stock. I can say say those are better than stock.

There was a Texas Hwy 1 that I think came with Texas Specials in which case they are likely stock pickups.

tele12

Poster Extraordinaire
Which model of Hwy 1?

The normal one, those are not stock. I can say say those are better than stock.

There was a Texas Hwy 1 that I think came with Texas Specials in which case they are likely stock pickups.

The Hwy Texas Telecaster did not come with Texas Specials, they came with what are now sold as Deluxe Drive.

The 2nd generation HWYs came with Texas Specials.

Fenderdad1950

Friend of Leo's

The View attachment 932634 View attachment 932633 View attachment 932632 View attachment 932631
Great pics

G.Rotten

Friend of Leo's
The Hwy Texas Telecaster did not come with Texas Specials, they came with what are now sold as Deluxe Drive.

The 2nd generation HWYs came with Texas Specials.
Did they come with Texas Specials? I should have bought a later one. I bought my 2003 HWY 1 new. The pickups were the weak link of an otherwise great guitar. I know the later American Specials came with Texas Specials but I thought the normal HWY 1s what's had the plastic bobbin pickups.

I thought the reason the Texas Hwy 1 was called that was because they had Texas Specials.

I learned today. Not cool. I really thought I was done learning for the year.

In any case the writing on the bottom of the neck pickup makes them not Texas Specials either but I suspect quality pickups anyway.

Edit. Apparently the Texas Hwy 1 didn't come with Texas Specials. They came with Hot Vintage.

Last edited:

G.Rotten

Friend of Leo's

Perhaps you should include more pics of the guitar as well!!!!

Gorquin

Tele-Meister
I don't know about the pickups but I do know mine is not a Texas HWY1 as it doesn't have the round string tree past the logo, a 5 screw pickguard with the pup adjustment under the guard, and mine has had the bridge changed to a Joe Barden bridge.

G.Rotten

Friend of Leo's
I don't know about the pickups but I do know mine is not a Texas HWY1 as it doesn't have the round string tree past the logo, a 5 screw pickguard with the pup adjustment under the guard, and mine has had the bridge changed to a Joe Barden bridge.
Well. It sounds like you've got a nice guitar with some very nice upgrades.

My Hwy 1 had the body mounted neck pickup but also the 22 fret neck so adjusting the pickup height meant removing or at least loosening the neck so you could remove the pickguard to get to the adjustment screws. PITA.

The neck was my favorite thing about my Hwy 1 and the only part of it I still have. The original pickups were not great IMO.

I incorporated my neck into this Partscaster.
IMG_20210801_132826517.jpg

A lot of people aren't fans of the Jumbo frets but I'll never part with this neck.

Last edited:

Gorquin

Tele-Meister
Part of the issue is that the one pickup is labeled "2/05" so it's probable that both pups where changed back in 2005 and a winder could have changed their process making it harder to ID.

I'm not sure what I should do with this guitar. The listing claimed the bridge and saddles where changed but it did not mention the pickups. I contacted the seller and he doesn't know what pickups are in the guitar. IMO, a lie of omission, not to mention that even though it does play well the frets weren't crowned and polished correctly.

I didn't plan on spending $200 + on pups and another $100+ on a crown and polish.

boris bubbanov

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Gorquin, the vendor did you a favor. No way, were you gonna be able to stand the stock pickups in that guitar. As seems to be consensus, these are almost certainly better than stock. These are not Highway One Texas Tele pickups, either (no reason why they would be). FMIC changed from hot to very hot and from non RWRP to RWRP around the 2005 time (the newer version erroneously called an "Upgrade". But that would not be black and white cloth covering, in either case AND these pickups shown have traditional style form material, not plastic (and that's almost always a good sign). Neither form of stock Highway One alder body (modern tuning machines) has a base plate affixed, btw, although it can be done (we do it to Tex Mexes all the time).

I'd play the guitar, best I could, as it is now and see if you like the voicing of the guitar. If not, pass it along to someone who will like it. The sales value of these guitars has skyrocketed in the last 12 years - I'm sure things can work out in your favor.