Do these filter caps look good?

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by javierj, May 17, 2021.

1. javierj

javierj Tele-Meister

Hello,

I have a Fender Deluxe Reverb Reissue amp, that I bought used back in 2015. I think this is an older reissue amp, I don't know how old it is. When I bought it back then, it looked in great shape, not really any signs of use/abuse. This amp could well be from the mid 1990s, based on the the two letters written on the Quality inspection sticker that show the letters ''DL''.

I don't have any problems with it, it does not have any extra hum or crackling, popping sounds. Some people say that it is best to replace the filter caps before they go bad. I will eventually replace the filter caps, when needed, but for now it would be nice to hold on to that if possible and not having to spend the extra cash on a cap job.

I understand that only by looking at the filter caps and how they look, is not the only way to tell if they need to be replaced, but I guess if they look good and the amp does not have any problems and plays great, maybe I am good to go!

Here are some pictures of my amp's filter caps, I took them about 9 months ago. They are all from the same amp, just different photo lightning:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So I was just wondering if you could take a look at this pictures and maybe be able to tell me what you can see or tell about these filter caps. Is the white material surrounding the caps, looks like glue or something, is that normal, is that how is suppose to be?

Thanks a lot!

Regards,.

Javier

Last edited: May 17, 2021
  2. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

As you mentioned visually, no one is going to be able to tell you if they are good or not without measuring them on a meter

Visually they look okay as they aren’t bulging and don’t look corroded

I’m not sure what the glue is for but I don’t believe it to be bad

javierj likes this.
  3. javierj

javierj Tele-Meister

Got it... Yeah that is what I thought, that visually is not enough to tell if they are in good shape. I guess I better start looking for a quote on a cap job with my local amp tech repair, so that I am a little prepared for the next cap job.

This is a great amp and based from the two letters on the back of the chassis, the quality inspection sticker, which shows ''DL'', this amp in from December, 1993... Impressive caps life span, well I don't know if the previous owner ever replaced them before.

4. monkeybanana

monkeybanana Tele-Holic

The white silicon just holds them in place.

SnidelyWhiplash likes this.
  5. monkeybanana

monkeybanana Tele-Holic

By the way those caps hold a lot of charge don’t touch ‘em!

6. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

2015 - they're 500 volt caps not the suspect 450 volt ones so you should be OK.

7. SnidelyWhiplash

SnidelyWhiplash Friend of Leo's

If the amp works fine, I say leave it be. Not a fan of just replacing parts as a matter of course.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it... :cool:

guitar_paul1, javierj and kbold like this.
  8. javierj

javierj Tele-Meister

Oh yes absolutely! Thanks for the heads up!

monkeybanana likes this.
  9. javierj

javierj Tele-Meister

My concern is that the caps are not going to last for ever. I always thought that my amp was from like 2013 or something. I bought it used online in 2015 for $899, when I received it it looked like new. I think it was a demo amp from a music store, according to the seller.

Yesterday I decided to look up the Fender quality inspection sticker, where they have the two letters that indicate your amp's manufacturing date. My amp has written in hand writing ''DL'' which stands for December of 1993.

I don't know if those are the original amp filter caps or if they were replaced before by a previous owner, but if they are the original ones, then those would be around 27 year old caps, which would be way ahead on it's life span.

I've read in other conversations, that is not all unusual, for some filter caps to last beyond their estimated lifespan of well over 15 years, with some even reporting lasting around 30 to 35 years, which is a lot!

Last edited: May 17, 2021
    dan1952 likes this.
  10. javierj

javierj Tele-Meister

Yeah exactly me too, not a fan of just replacing parts as a matter of course!

guitar_paul1 likes this.
  11. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

If they are near 27 years old, you should definitely plan to replace them if you are keeping the amp. Not an emergency, but something to put on your list of things to do.
    If you could get a date code off the caps themselves, that would be a better indicator.

12. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

They look clean... not leaky like the ones that came out of my super 210..

the only obvious difference is the volume .. before I could use V6 in the house, now V2-3 rattles the place..

there was no crackling or extra noise....

Leaky Cap2.JPG

13. javierj

javierj Tele-Meister

Thanks a lot for your reply!

What do you mean by "volume V6 in the house and now V2-V3 rattles the place..."?

14. dan1952

dan1952 Friend of Leo's

I've had Fender amps that were 50+ years old that still worked fine with the original caps. Unless they have bulges, if the amp works oaky, I don't change them.

guitar_paul1 and javierj like this.
  15. tombm3

tombm3 Tele-Holic

Valuable information here

javierj likes this.
  16. javierj

javierj Tele-Meister

Yeah also I don't know if this make a good diference, but this amp may well be 27 years old, but it sure did not look 21 years old when I bought it used in 2015, around 6 years ago. Surprisingly, the amp looked almost like a new amp. I always thought it was more like a 2013 or 2014 amp. Acording to the seller I bought it from, it possibly was a music store demo amp, it was probably not even played real loud or pushed to the limits. The amp is all stock, no mods, came like that, not even the bright cap clipped...

17. javierj

javierj Tele-Meister

Excellent video, thanks a lot!

18. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

You are probably fine for a while. There are some dark spots on the end fiber paper, that could be a sign, but not bad yet.

19. javierj

javierj Tele-Meister

It's funny I have the same brand of filter caps, iC and mine don't seem to be crap that don't last, like he says! Well in the end I don't have proof that mine are the original factory ones...

20. javierj

javierj Tele-Meister

Yes that is correct, that is what I also noticed, some of those dark spots...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.