1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Do Tele Elites have pickguards?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by guitarswheelies, Sep 8, 2007.

1. guitarswheelies

guitarswheelies TDPRI Member

Curious, it came up that some early 80's Tele Elites have pickguards and some don't. I mentioned this to someone and they showed me the original flyer from Fender that doesn't show a PG yet my 83 black Elite and several others I can find pics of have the same unusual 335-style pickguard glued to the top. What gives?

2. eastside

eastside Tele-Meister

The '83 Elites came with an adhesive-backed pickguard that the user/owner could attach at his or her own discretion. Mine, which I bought used, came with the pg attached.

I'll try to get a photo posted someday, but it is in storage at my M-I-L's spare bedroom.

So, basically, neither you, your friend, or the flyer are wrong.

Hope this helps...

Greg

3. yegbert

yegbert Poster Extraordinaire

A friend of mine has one with a pickguard.

[​IMG]

4. mellecaster

mellecaster Former Member

Last edited: Apr 9, 2008
  5. guitarswheelies

guitarswheelies TDPRI Member

thanks

thanks for your replies. I realized that I have the 83 catalog with the reissues and elites. The Tele elite sections mentions the pickguard as being owner installable . Now the question is, how do I get it off?

I could get a blade under the pickguard a little and the adhesive feels kind of rubbery.

6. eastside

eastside Tele-Meister

I bought mine used, with the pickguard already installed. While I'd agree with you that in some cases, mine included, the guitar would look better without the pg, I don't know if I'd go about taking it off. I can just imagine peeling up alot of the original finish with the it.

Having said that, I once bought a Traynor amp head that a previous owner had glued black carpet-type material to. With a lot of patience and a liberal use of a product called "Goo-Be-Gone" I was able to disolve the adhesive, remove the carpet and utlimately restore the underlying Tolex.

If you can work a blade or paint scrapper under the pg, with the above or a similar product, you MAY be able to remove the pg with little to no damage.
    Carefully, read and follow the instructions of anything you buy.

I know you didn't ask my advise as to whether you should or shouldn't, but I would suggest leaving the guitar as is. No matter what some, with good reason feel about those guitars and that era, it still is a 24 almost 25 year-old guitar, and a page (good or bad) of Fender history. All I'm saying is, who thought '70s instruments would be pulling the prices they are today?

But hey, it's your guitar. Go slow and good luck

Greg

7. kb1rcefn

kb1rcefn Tele-Meister

Another thing to keep in mind is '20 some-odd-years worth' of overall fading on the guitar, while underneath would be original color. I would think that wouldn't be the best looking thing!

8. eastside

eastside Tele-Meister

Good point, kb1rcefn.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.