1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Do sub-$500 guitars have "credibility"?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by soulgeezer, Sep 6, 2016.

1. psallo

psallo Tele-Meister

If anything, I would be more impressed with them, that they weren't concerned with looking the part but sounding the part. And if they sounded great, doing it with supposedly lesser gear, that increases their reputation I suppose.

Honest Charley likes this.
  2. brapscallion

brapscallion TDPRI Member

Oh I completely agree. I've played my pals Squier Tele Custom and loved it. And I used to love my Jim Root Tele for Rock (Best paint job on a guitar IMO)

That's what ends up happening.

I'm not saying I'm right. I'm just saying that's what I naturally think. What I lean toward. A subconscious thing. And I can't be the only one. You see Squier, and you think negatively. But I love them, and I have one!

3. Stellacaster

Stellacaster TDPRI Member

$500 is best spent on a used Fender over any new guitar.

4. scottser

scottser Friend of Leo's

credibility? it depends on the context. obviously 500 bucks will get you a very decent guitar these days, but if i see someone playing a 5 grand guitar at a small club gig i'd think that was way too ostentatious to be credible but a sub 500 bucks guitar is entirely appropriate. likewise, if i see the edge, who is a notorious collector and rarely does a show without a hundred grand's worth of guitars, playing a squier i'd also think that not credible and he really should be playing a vintage or custom guitar.
    there are guitar players whose guitars are inherently credible but only to them - rory gallagher's strat or bb king's lucille for example. the long and short of it is if you can do your thing well on a decent guitar then you don't have to worry about credibility.

5. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

I have a Harley Benton arriving in a week or so. I'll let you know if it has any credibility.

But I suspect that the real issue is whether I have any credibility when I play it.

These days the good guitars may not be cheap, but the cheap ones seem to be pretty good.

magicfingers99 and dezb1 like this.
  6. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Poster Extraordinaire

If we see a guy with a 5k guitar, it's normal to think that he is successful enough as a guitar player to own a 5k guitar.
    If we see a guy with a $200.00 guitar we think that he must suck so bad that he can only afford a $200.00 guitar.

Now once they start playing, if the guy with the 5k guitar totally sucks, then we think he's trying to buy his way into being a good player. He then loses all credibility.
    Now when we see a guy just burning up a $200.00 guitar, we think that he is so good that the guitar doesn't really matter. He gets instant credibility, and respect.

jonrpick and Guitarteach like this.
  7. CowTownPickers

CowTownPickers TDPRI Member

I like to build my own. I buy plain bodies, paint and stain them. I prefer an Eric Clapton style "v" shape neck and blues or texas specials pick ups. It is a hobby and I can usually build one through Ebay or RH-Factor parts who is only 40 miles from me. Usually less than $300. But I do watch Ebay and just picked up a new G&L ASAT Dlx for $255 + $50 shipping. I picked up a Ibanez Art wood Hollow body brand new from Sam A by trading a MIM strat I got in trade. And I am not a good player but I love to play!

8. Honest Charley

Honest Charley Tele-Holic

Great bass!

This is my "Bronco". Shadow hotrail pu. Mint pg from WD. Tuners modified Goto. Bridge from an old Musicmaster. Home brewed control plate. Fender electrics. Sounds good. Looks good. My favorite bass in my stable of nine. Tot cost for my little horse: around 150 USD. Life is good. :)

bronco.JPG

E5RSY likes this.
  9. rich815

rich815 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

And if we see them in a photo we don't know what to think! ;-)

10. Ebidis

Ebidis Tele-Afflicted

I'm not a huge fan of pointy guitars either, but the LTD was a Christmas present last year.

After I leveled the frets, rounded the fret ends, rolled the fingerboard edges, put in the Seymour Duncan pickups (59 bridge, Jazz neck), and wired the pots in Gibson '50s config, it plays and sings really well.

Plus the quilted maple top does look pretty nice.

11. ME262

ME262 Tele-Holic

I'm very happy to note how civil this discussion is. On any other guitar forum it would be a classic "oh no, here we go again" thread that would quickly deteriorate into mud slinging and name calling. This is why I like it best here. My opinion? No they don''t have cred, but that's because most people don't know better.

jonrpick likes this.
  12. jonrpick

jonrpick Friend of Leo's

Agreed... I'm not a Tele player. I hang here for this reason. This place has the absolute lowest douche:non-douche ratio of any guitar forum on the web!

13. ME262

ME262 Tele-Holic

(Don't tell anyone, but I'm not a tele player either)

14. Sleph

Sleph Friend of Leo's

if my choice was to have a $500 guitar or nothing, I would be grateful for the guitar....and that's all the credibility it needs.

15. estreet

estreet Tele-Holic

I've got 20 or so guitars including Fenders, Gibsons and PRS. Best guitar I've ever owned is a JV Squire Tele which I paid £60 for. It's been retired now after some 3000 gigs but I still play it.

16. 1300 E Valencia

1300 E Valencia Friend of Leo's

People buy what they can afford.
    Then some look down on those who can't.
    These people are snobs.

Other people are frugal.
    Some look down on those who aren't.
    These people are snobs.

Don't be a snob. Nobody likes a snob.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2016
    Gunerius, awasson and jannodude like this.
  17. jannodude

jannodude Tele-Afflicted

^^^^^

One of the best things I've read today..

18. tniemcewitch

tniemcewitch Tele-Meister

+1

jannodude and awasson like this.
  19. jannodude

jannodude Tele-Afflicted

I agree, the snide comments are in an all time low. Maybe "Tele" players are wise and full of wisdom!

20. Tele-Caster

Tele-Caster Tele-Holic

I have a G&L Legacy. It cost my ex-wife more than $1,000.00 when she bought it for me for Christmas years ago. I used to gig with it.

I now gig a Laguna LE-300 "Super Strat" thing. It has a one piece, carved-top, contoured heel, rear loaded, H-S-S routed body of swamp ash. Pickups have Alnico V magnets in 'em. Bridge is a Wilkinson VS 50 Mk II dual-fulcrum tremolo. Pots are full-size 500K Alphas with the tone being push-pull for coil tapping the humbucker. Neck is rosewood over maple with abalone dot position markers, graphite infused nut, dual roller string trees, and 18:1 locking tuners.... New retail was around $350.00. I got mine in used but excellent as new condition for $150.00 delivered to my door. Definitely A LOT of guitar for the price I paid and would have still been a lot of guitar had I bought it new for $350.00

I liked that so much I spent a year searching the Internet for another in the same excellent condition. Instead, I found a used but excellent condition Brawley Guitars A-122 for about the same price. It is essentially the same guitar as the Laguna LE-300. Both were designed by Keith Brawley. The A-122 was made in Korea instead of Indonesia, has a flamed maple cap over its one-piece swamp ash body, and lacks the push-pull coil tap feature, but next click on the 5-way up from the bridge position runs the middle pickup with the inner coil of the 'bucker only. Forgot to mention that both have recessed Dunlop strap locks, too....

I've got no qualms about gigging $300.00 worth of guitar when it bought not one, but TWO instruments that practically play themselves, sound great, stay in tune, and look good doing it, while leaving me nothing to complain about in terms of build quality or reliability or component quality.

For the acoustic stuff in a set, I use Jasmine S34C's now... $70.00 each, brand-spankin' new... Guitars don't get much cheaper than that. I love the tone of these, and the fact that comes from a laminated wood body modeled after the Takamine NEX shape so it is comfortable to play and has perhaps a bit more ruggedness than an all-solid wood acoustic might. These also have very even volume and sustain response up, down, and across the fingerboard.

I haven't had anyone take me to task for using cheap guitars yet. If it hasn't happened by now, I don't think it will, going forward. If people comment on my instruments at all, it is usually to compliment their sound and inquire as to what they are.

TC

magicfingers99 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.