1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Do speaker wires need to be short as possible?

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by Telenator, Nov 26, 2020.

1. Telenator

Telenator Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

I am repairing an Acoustic B200 Bass amp and had to take THE ENTIRE FRICKIN' AMP APART to change the Passive Input Jack!

If the speaker wires were longer it not have been a problem at all.

I have added 8" to the speaker and horn wires and I'm about to put it back together. Am I going to get a loud hum or some of horrible problem?

I just find it hard to believe that the cost of a few inches of wire puts techs through such a long process when it could be so easy otherwise.

2. jackal

jackal Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

I have added very long lengths (up to 150 feet) to PA and stereo speakers with no problems or noticeable change in sound. 8 inches added should cause no problems if the connections are phased correctly. Have used various lengths to head and cabinet set-ups with no problems either. No worries.

Marc Morfei likes this.
  3. printer2

printer2 Poster Extraordinaire

No, will not make any difference.

Marc Morfei likes this.
  4. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

Nah, any length you want really. I'd stay below 50 ft probably!

5. Henry Mars

Henry Mars Tele-Afflicted

Nope

6. lammie200

lammie200 Friend of Leo's

For high end audio it will depend on how much more you want to pay for extraneous length.

Telenator likes this.
  7. Telenator

Telenator Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Well, it's a good thing I added the extra wire.

I just finished installing the new passive input jack and it still doesn't work. At least I can pull out the head now without having to take out the speaker, take out the handles, and all that other stuff!

Have to go back in try to figure out what's wrong.

8. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

The only good reason, and it's a very good reason, to keep speaker wires short in the cab, is that you don't want the wire drooping down against the back of a speaker cone.
    Bzz bzz bzz is what you'll get.
    Or in an open back combo the wire will get yanked off the speaker terminals when you pull out the stowed power cord.

The right length is good but i always give my combo and open back cabs long enough speaker wire to reach a head, even if it's a combo amp. I always secure the wire to the bottom of the cab so it will not fall against a speaker when in use, and will not get yanked off the terminals.
    I don't generally put an input jack on an open back cab, instead running a six foot or so speaker with with phone plug on the end, and a combo might get a four foot wire since the bottom of the cab gets messy with speaker wire and power cord stuffed in there.

I wish more speakers were made like some old Jensen frames that provided more protection from poking the back of the cone.
    CTS did that at times too and maybe Utah.

9. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha sorry!

LightningPhil and Telenator like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.