1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Do scallops weaken the neck?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Collin D Plonker, Mar 8, 2021.

1. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Tele-Afflicted

Random thought. It seems that deep scallops in a fretboard must have some effect on neck stability. Compound the scallops with the slim neck profiles preferred by players most likely to have a scalloped fretboard, surely that neck must be like a longbow. If one were to engineer such a neck, carbon fiber must be involved.

Does anyone have practical knowledge on this, rather than my mere speculation?

2. OldPup

OldPup Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Doubtful. As long as there is a truss rod it should be fine. That's the kind of thing designers would surely compensate for, if it were necessary, and it is very possible no compensation is needed. It removes only a very small amount of cross-section. Imagine a scalloped neck's cross-section at its narrowest point. Aren't wizard necks, etc., smaller still in cross-section? If those thinner necks are fine, then the scalloped neck is as well. Plus, there is the fact that you read much more about snapped Gibby headstocks (not hatin' - I love my Gibsons!) than something going wrong with scalloped necks.

3. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

Removing wood does affect its modulus of elasticity (stiffness), but you have to remember that wood is an organic material and its properties can swing wildly to either side of average.

It depends on the particular piece of wood. Some necks are thin and stiff. Some necks are thin and 'whippy'. I've even seen some fat necks that are whippy like a noodle.

4. highwaycat

highwaycat Tele-Holic

I know they can still play good, pros tour and record with scalloped neck guitars.
    I’d start with tall frets though, tall and wide or tall and narrow.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.