Do repaired cracks make a guitar sound worse compared to unprepared cracks.

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Hugokildare, Aug 6, 2020.

1. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Friend of Leo's

I'm not exactly sure what they are doing with each of those but the prices are probably not unreasonable. I keep a couple of price lists from repair people that I respect and one of them quotes 60 to 90 dollars for a brace repair and 180+ for bridge and bridge plate damage.

I replaced the plastic bridge on an LG-1 and did some other work - I think I ended up with about five hours of my labor - you can use whatever price per hour your repair person charges.

IMG_4732.JPG

IMG_4788.JPG

2. Telenator

Telenator Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

If a crack is letting air escape from the guitar in a way it was not intended, then the guitar should actually sound better once it's repaired.

The front and back of an acoustic guitar are intentionally shaved and sanded to make them respond to different frequencies. If they were both made to respond to the same frequencies, and vibrated exactly the same, the guitar will begin to actually suffocate. It needs to breathe.

To that point, any cracks that allow the flow of air to occur anywhere but the sound hole, will cause a negative influence on the sound of the guitar. Getting it fixed is the right thing to do.

The additional wood will hardly make a difference, if any, and the influence it has will be less than that of air flowing through places it doesn't belong. I would expect you'll have a better sounding guitar when you get it back.

3. Syrinx

Syrinx Tele-Holic

Willie nelson likely has had more cleats on his acoustic than you have had hot meals- no issue if done correctly.

4. Boreas

Boreas Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

If gluing tiny pieces of wood to a top effects tone, imagine what top braces would do! Same thing with a pickguard. If properly done it will stabilize the crack which would arguably transmit vibration better. Have no fear - at least with a decent tech.

5. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Afflicted

Every single thing that can be done to a guitar makes it sound different if you think it will make it sound different.

Hugokildare likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.