Do repaired cracks make a guitar sound worse compared to unprepared cracks.

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Hugokildare, Aug 6, 2020.

1. Hugokildare

Hugokildare TDPRI Member

Hi I’ve recently handed in my 1948 lg1 to a luthier for getting some cracks fixed around The pick guard. My only concern is that considering the cleating could this cause the guitar to sound dull. Is this possible? thank you.

2. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

If they are properly repaired you likely won't notice. If the repair person uses giant cleats and pounds of glue, that could be an issue, but a good repair you'll never notice.

3. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

You mean he's putting cleats behind the crack? yeah, that may deaden it a bit. Can they just be glued?

4. unfamous

unfamous Tele-Meister

No. Unsuitable repair for that trouble. Cleats are called for.

teleplayr and LAPlayer like this.
  5. unfamous

unfamous Tele-Meister

And if a small cleated crack makes a great deal of difference in the sound of your instrument, I'll eat my hat.

6. Hugokildare

Hugokildare TDPRI Member

T
    Thanks for the reassurance as you say they are small cracks and the luthier said they use very small cleats he’s been repairing guitars for 50 years. Nevertheless I will hold you to account on that promise and if it does change the tone I will expect to receive a video of you eating your hat.

7. Switchy

Switchy Tele-Afflicted

What was said previously sounds good. I've always believed that glue is stronger than wood, and a laminated piece of wood is stronger than a non-laminated piece of wood.
    I've even heard it mentioned that a multi-section body is more stable and has less warpage than a 2 section or 1 section body.

But I'm not a wood engineer.

Fretting out likes this.
  8. Stubee

Stubee Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

I’ve had and have plenty of great sounding old guitars with cleated top cracks. Don’t worry about it at all, especially by the pickguard.

9. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Friend of Leo's

Cleating is a very common repair on cracked guitars, I do it frequently. Does it change the sound? You could argue that it does but you aren't going to hear it. Remember that an LG-1 is a fairly inexpensively built ladder braced guitar to start with - the braces are primarily there to keep the top from cracking and possibly to resist neck rotation a bit. This was not a lightly built fragile guitar, the cleats will not appreciably change the top mass.

Your repair tech should use hide glue on this repair - the guitar was built with it and if you ever decide you don't like the cleats that would make them easily removable.

I'm curious from your earlier post, did you ever determine if the neck angle was OK and do you need to do anything with the bridge? I posted some pictures of the LG-1 that I worked on, curious how bad yours really is.

EsquireBoy and Hugokildare like this.
  10. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

What little bit you may lose in tone will be more than made up for in vibe.

11. Hugokildare

Hugokildare TDPRI Member

Thanks for the reassurance and advice. I took your advice and booked it in to a luthier I found the best one I could in London. When they looked over it they said the action is fine and it probably doesn’t need a neck reset yet, which I was joyous about and that the top warping was not a big problem and is quite common on old ladder braces guitars. They said they would give it a fret redress I think it’s called as some of the frets where buzzing aswell as some work on the bridge I was and still am quite skeptical about this though as the tech (not the main luthier said) they will probaly grind the bridge nut down a little. This scared me as I don’t know much but I do know break angle is important for tone. He reassured me they would do something I can’t remeber the name that will fix and retain and break angle problems. He also rather worringly said that these old shrinking pickguards wilol penalty shrink the minute they are taken off to fix the cracks. He’s sending it off to the main workshop and luthiers and couldn’t find any loose braces except a crack in one under the pickguard but also said it needs further inspection. I will get a call on Saturday from the main man giving me a quote on price and what he think should be done. Agian thank you for all the help you’ve offered I never imagined my first vintage guitar would be such a stressful situation. But at least I’ve learned a lot about what to look for if I I ever consider buying another.

teleplayr likes this.
  12. LAPlayer

LAPlayer Tele-Meister

Standard repair practice and it won't change anything but stabilize the cracks.

Henley and teleplayr like this.
  13. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Friend of Leo's

Thanks for the feedback, I've been wondering what happened with your old LG-1. Sounds like you have knowledgeable people working on it, that is good. I try to be aware of two things whenever I work on an old instrument - first, am I really the right person to be doing this and second, I want to be sure I am not doing something that will later be judged as wrong.

Cleating cracks is normal repairs and will not devalue the guitar or significantly change its tone. Removing material from the bridge saddle is normal procedure to make the action better, within reason. If you have to remove too much material that becomes one of the signs that a reset is needed. Leveling and dressing frets, again, is normal maintenance, at some point they will need to be replaced, which again, is normal. The pick guard issue was something that I couldn't comment on without seeing, it sounds like your people know what they are doing there.

I think you will enjoy your little LG when it is all finished. I have a couple of ladder braced guitars and I did play the one that crossed my bench before returning it - they have a distinctive sound that suits old timey and bluesy music perfectly. And add to the sound is the knowledge that you are playing an instrument that is over 70 years old, is still in pretty good shape and can still make music. Take care of it so it will last another 70.

telemnemonics likes this.
  14. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

My old lg-1 had a bunch of cleated top cracks and sounded great. When the pick guard fell off, though, the bozo that glued it back on used so much glue that it killed the volume. Beware!

15. Hugokildare

Hugokildare TDPRI Member

16. Hugokildare

Hugokildare TDPRI Member

Hi just an update on my Lg1 this is the quote I got sent today. 11FD7D92-B539-41F5-AFDC-44E3D26C741A.png

telemnemonics likes this.
  17. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I saw a probably 200yo fiddle apart that had easily 20+ cleats under the top, and was the primary instrument of a famous player according to the luthier who was doing yet another repair.
    Seen many 150+ yo violins and they all have lots of cleats on a comparatively tiny soundboard.
    On a guitar, not an issue!

Henley likes this.
  18. Nightclub Dwight

Nightclub Dwight Tele-Afflicted

Should turn out just fine as long as your luthier isn't an unprepared crack.

19. jayyj

jayyj Tele-Afflicted

That's a lot extra to spend on what was already a very high price for an LG1. I would be knocking on the dealer's door over that one.

20. Hugokildare

Hugokildare TDPRI Member

Yeah I was really pissed of to find all the stuff wrong with the guitar after buying it but. Luckily the guitar was bought as a birthday present in the end so I didn’t have to pay the initial cost so I don’t mind paying for repairs. Also I adore the guitar. Nevertheless I am angry at myself and the dealer. I’m angry at myself for being naive and not knowing about these issues before buying, and the dealer for ripping me of.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.