Do power tubes wear out gradually?

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by Vibro Chimp, Jul 16, 2021.

1. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Look for old telefunken or Mullard ads from 50s. They listed hours.

2. elet ekim

elet ekim TDPRI Member

I’ve had the same power tubes in my BFDR for about 8 yrs now (about half of that time, 2 to 3 gigs a week) with no trouble. As per my amp tech’s advice, I always run a fan when it’s on. It seems to work imho.

3. arlum

arlum Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

When it comes to lifespan NOS rules. I use both NOS and new production. I have amps with NOS output tubes going on 8 to 10 years old that sound wonderful. I tend to replace modern output tubes every 2 to 3 years. Then again .... the difference in price might make it worth it.

northernguitar likes this.
  4. Bartholomew3

Bartholomew3 Friend of Leo's

Same experience here from the Sixties when a couple of retail stores had tube testers we could walk in and use.

Could see it on the meter as the tubes lost it over the months. Still have a couple of vintage original 12AX7 from back then that work well but had to change 6L6 power tubes every two years approx.

5. oldunc

oldunc Tele-Afflicted

Back in the day when TVs had tubes there used to be tube testers in grocery stores and such places, and tube testing was regular maintenance. I distinctly remember my father grumping about it, but I thought it was kind of neat; I suspected that the tester was actually a cleverly disguised robot from outer space.

6. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

All vacuum tubes wear out over time, except for the ones that just suddenly give up the ghost. The trick is trying to figure out whether the tube simply died or the amp killed it.

jtcnj likes this.
  7. Henry Mars

Henry Mars Tele-Afflicted

unless they fail all at once, a power tube will degrade over time. NOS pwr tubes like RCA, Phillips etc will generally out last current production tubes by far and will degrade at a slower rate. After a year or two of hard playing on current production tubes you will notice an immediate difference if you replace them. I have old tube amps with old tubes and they still perform well. I have to replace current production pwr tubes in my everyday amps once a year .... especially the 6V6's for some reason.
    Given my age and the miserable performance of my body and current production tube amps, I am really looking s SS again. The sound of a lot of SS amps is getting close to tube territory and I'm sick of hving tube mps crap out on me at the worst possible time. Back in the day you didn't worry about it .... these days I carry a spare amp and tubes.

8. JohnnyJumpUp

JohnnyJumpUp TDPRI Member

"Everything is broken!" - Bob Dylan

Driver3 and beanluc like this.
  9. TC 57

TC 57 Tele-Meister

does it depend on how loud you play? if you play in a studio or at home chances are volume never goes above 10 am on dial..must make a difference..and pre amps must last longer. It has been said tubes from the 60s were made much tougher

10. Dacious

Dacious Doctor of Teleocity

Absolutely. If you crank and use a drive pedal it definitely wears tubes out faster than an amp played at low volume and clean..

11. TC 57

TC 57 Tele-Meister

in the case of a single channel amp with master, off stage at lower volumes, that means cranking up the pre amp and lowering the volume..so then pre amps get hit harder..it's still difficult to know when a tube is just past it's best..

12. CCK1

CCK1 Tele-Holic

Tubes do wear out gradually, they also fail instantly. I was once hit in the leg, (I was wearing cargo shorts) by flying glass from a YBA-3A Traynor Super Custom Special when one of the 6KG6A power tubes, the ones with the "spark plug wire" on the top decided it had had enough. The only time I'd gotten to get a good look at the inside of a 6KG6A:)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.