Do Picks Wear Out Like Strings?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Flat6Driver, Feb 19, 2019.

1. reckless meanie

reckless meanie Tele-Meister

Has there been a discussion on here yet about how altitude and atmospheric pressure changes air density and therefore changes tone?:) If not we should start one right after we get the matter at hand sorted out.

Flat6Driver likes this.
  2. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Picks wear out in a few weeks or months on acoustic depending on how much you play. Like mentioned in previous posts the tip rounds over loosing its point. I think most people like thinner picks more for the sound and strumming on acoustics rather than how long they last.

I wouldn't bother paying more for fancy long lasting picks. Comfort, feel and sound are more important than long term durability imo.

Rev Rhythm and TheMindful like this.
  3. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Strings wear out?

Obelisk, Rev Rhythm and Chunkocaster like this.
  4. TheMindful

TheMindful Tele-Meister

Overall I agree with this statement. Although, I've owned and used an extra large redbear pick, that lives with my acoustic, for about ten years... recently did some recording with it for the new Mindful album and it still sounds great.

For electric, as mentioned above, I favor short-term picks

Chunkocaster likes this.
  5. Dave Hicks

Dave Hicks Tele-Afflicted

I tried some Tusq picks, which worked fine until I played some tremolo part. The pick tip got totally frayed. (Which is odd, since I've tremoloed on mandolin with the same kind of pick with no problem.)

D.H.

6. rand z

rand z Friend of Leo's

You bet... the edges get serrated and lose their point. Even Tortex.

7. 3fngrs

3fngrs Friend of Leo's

Here's what happened, I think;

You were using heavier picks and went to lighter ones. Lighter picks have more snap and click. You went back to the heavier pick, which is warmer and you noticed the lack of snap. That's because heavier picks will generally have a softer attack and warmer sound with less click and snap.

Heavier picks let you hear the sound of the guitar more with less of the of the pick slapping the strings. Neither is better, just different. Play what sounds best to you but no, picks don't lose "Toanz".:D

8. 3fngrs

3fngrs Friend of Leo's

Also, the material makes a difference.

Celluloid is clickier than Tortex. Nylon is very smooth (I hate nylon picks). Acrylic is rather bright. Etc.

Still, generally, the thicker the warmer.

9. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Picks also warp/bend.

HappyHwy1owner and 3fngrs like this.
  10. 3fngrs

3fngrs Friend of Leo's

Sometimes for the better. I used to use Fender Meds and I would stick them through the strings when I wasn't playing. I learned to do it so that the resulting warp would kind of fit my finger for a better grip.

11. Les H

Les H Tele-Meister

I played heavy, extra heavy, and medium picks for about 30 of my 33 years of playing.

3 years ago my drummer picked an orange tortex .60 up off the floor another band left behind and gave it to me. I flexed it in my fingers and thought in my mind I'll never use this because it was so thin but I thanked him for the gesture.

I had it sitting on my dresser for about a month and I thought I'd give it a shot one day while I was practicing.... just like that I couldn't believe the difference it made. I play country and the biggest struggle I had was getting the low strings to sound snappy with twang and that pick totally delivered what I'd been trying to achieve for years. It smoothed out my chord playing and when I want a more aggressive attack I roll it and play with one of the rounded corners. I instantly fell in love with it and ordered 2 dozen that night. I have never broke one but I do wear the tips off at an angle over time.

I thought maybe the tortex material was the contributing factor to the tone so I bought heavier gauges of tortex and they aren't near as lively as the .60 gauge.

Now when I use the old standard "fender" celluloid picks it sounds like my strings are dead.

12. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

For the Record, My Picks wear out.

13. Old duck

Old duck Tele-Meister

Wow, you must be a real shredder. Those things are tough!

14. Otis Fine

Otis Fine Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

You’d have to ask my couch.

15. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

OK, idea for testing. Buy this shape of your preferred tortex. When one edge wears down, turn it and start on a new edge. See if the snap is back.

If it's not, the whole pick fatigued, not just the edge.

[​IMG]

16. Flat6Driver

Flat6Driver Friend of Leo's

That’s what I was referring to....fatigue....like strings wear out and dull the sound long before they break.
    But perhaps my ear has gotten more cultured. Or something. LOL

17. HappyHwy1owner

HappyHwy1owner Tele-Meister

I was surprised it took that many posts for someone to say it! Tortex .60 & .73 for me. I have quite a few get warped, and I don't store mine in the strings.

18. muscmp

muscmp Tele-Afflicted

no! strings are made of metal while picks are mostly made of plastic. plastic will degenerate much faster due its proximity to the metal strings. somehow, i feel my statement should be unnecessary.

play music!

19. stratoman1

stratoman1 Tele-Afflicted

Mine get molded to the shape of my thumb after awhile. So they get one sided

20. drmmrr55

drmmrr55 Tele-Holic

I've never had a pick lose it's flexibility, or hardness. However I tend to sometimes scrape the strings, (probably more than I realize), and as a result, I start to wear a groove in the side of the point, I'll still use it until it catches on the strings, and that's when I know it's time to retire that pick. I use Fender medium tortoise shell, the large triangle variety. I can get a lot of use out of those suckers because it has 3 points, versus just one for a regular shaped pick. I also like the really large picks because I can use 2 fingers and the thumb to hold it, (it makes flatpicking easier, for me anyway), and my rate of dropping picks went down to almost zero.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.