Do People Say This Where You Live?

boneyguy

Doctor of Teleocity
Agree with OP…unnecessarily awkward.

That sort of phrase strikes me as someone with a deficit trying to sound intelligent. The same sort who use multi-syllable words incorrectly.

I work in retail and the job requires that you “greet” every person who walks in the door.

It always amazes me that someone will bristle at common phrase such as “good morning”, “welcome”, “how you doing?”, etc…

Even in agreement this thread makes me disappointed in humanity to see that so many people harbor enough resentment in life to bristle at polite conventions.

That someone is so self-absorbed that they feel a stranger should have an awareness of their personal peeves and preferences is beyond my understanding.

Have a great rest of your post man.
Yes, unnecessarily awkward is what it is. And, again, what gets me wondering is despite the obvious awkwardness of the phrase it's becoming ubiquitous....'Oh, so that's what we're all saying now so I guess I better start saying that too" is the impression I get...which in itself is also a weird thing to me. As I've stated at least a couple of times even more than the silliness of the phrase itself is the mystery of how rapidly it's getting accepted as a reasonable and desireable way to say 'have a nice day'. It's definitely born out of corporate speak and that troubles me as well....as I've said, at least several times, I have no issue with the sentiment driving the words and I always respond with a 'Thank you, you too' or something like that. It's interesting that so many in this thread want to portray me as a grumpy ogre who lays awake at night festering with rage about this....oh well, that's the kind of attitude that seems to have gripped a large percentage of 'internet people' these days. Have a nice day....

boneyguy

Doctor of Teleocity
How dare someone wish you a nice day! Next time say, “Screw you. I’ll have a crappy day if I want one!”

You, like many others in this thread, have missed the very obvious point I was making. The sentiment behind what's being said is not troublesome to me at all and I always respond with a 'thank you, you too'. It's amazing the stuff people will read into what others have written and how quickly people are willing to portray someone as some sort of miserable, vile character. Have a wonderful day.

David Barnett

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Good gawd!! That is torture!

Every July the counties send out notices of value increase. These go out to all the property owners who have had new construction, remodeling, or other significant increases in the value of the improvements on their parcels in the past year. And as soon as those notices hit taxpayers' mailboxes, the phones start ringing. So imagine hearing "It's A Great Day At The Assessor's Office" every five seconds, from all directions, all day long, every day for a month and a half.

And if you have a phone on your desk, you're one of the people who have to say it.

Our Assessor claimed that, at least once a day, every day, during notices she'd receive at least one call from someone thanking her for that cheerful greeting that just made their day. That was her justification anyway.

Luckily I didn't have a phone on my desk. But sometimes I'd have to grab the phone on someone else's desk if everyone else was busy. I never once had a taxpayer thank me for saying that, but I did have a few ask "Do they make you say that?"

Last edited:

boneyguy

Doctor of Teleocity
optics (plural noun) and impactful (adj) have probably been in the OED for a very long time. In fact I'm not even sure what problem you might have with those. Your examples are the first and second meanings listed in Webster's. Grumpy much?

English allows fairly free conversion of words from one class to another, both in slang and more standard versions of speech, due to its simple morphology. Wait till you hear that some individual people want to be addressed as "they" and not as "he" or "she"! That will blow your mind. Maybe you'll hear about the phenomenon one day. :)
Of course those things are in the dictionary....people started using those words in that manner enough that they got included...that doesn't negate the stupidity of it simply because it's been documented or 'legitamized' by some authority. Plenty of stupid things gain legitamacy every day....some of those things are inconsequential (like the words you mention) and some only appear inconsequential but are in fact very problematic...it's the way of the world and at this moment in history we are struggling with the latter. Maybe one day you will learn to engage in a discussion and share your point of view without trying to belittle the person you are conversing with. Good luck with that.

Have a pleasant day and a safe tomorrow.

GGardner

Friend of Leo's
The only salutation that always sounds to me like an out of tune guitar is: “How are we doing today?”

KeithDavies 100

Tele-Meister
I do say at the end of a Friday or Saturday gig:

" Thanks so much for letting us play some music for you today, and enjoy the rest of your weekend..."

-It just comes out automatically, but I don't see changing this up. Gotta do it!
I like this.

A few years ago I was at a gig - a name band - and the singer closed with something like "thanks for coming out to see us, we know you've got plenty other things you could do with your time and money". I hadn't thought of it like that previously - I'd just felt grateful they'd come to play their music close enough for me to see them live!!

KeithDavies 100

Tele-Meister
I don't know if any of you remember back in the 70's when waiters and waitresses started saying "Hi, my name is Amy, I'm going to be your server tonight....." nowadays it's everywhere and you can't get away from it.

I also remember back in the 70's as I was leaving work one day, I said to a female co-worker "Have a good one...." and she started blushing .... could have been a HR moment. ;)

I'm stuck in the 60's with the Have a good/nice day.... :)
I knew I was getting older than I thought when I attended A&E - ED, for those in the US - and a disturbingly young looking woman came and said to me, "Hi, I'm Angie, I'm your doctor today."

Thankfully, haven't had to attend A&E since, so no idea if that was a thing, or just her. Or perhaps even it was intended humorously but I didn't get it. No idea. I just smiled politely and kept my ageist thoughts to myself!

KeithDavies 100

Tele-Meister
My mangled English pet peeve is "attendees". What?!! Someone who gets paid is a payee; employed is an employee etc. If anything, it's the meeting that is the attendee. Those attending are "attenders" if anything. But again, this seems to have become ubiquitous.

However, it's not as bad as a sign I saw in a bus many years ago, which thankfully doesn't seem to have caught on. It said "Capacity: 45 seated and 12 standees." NO!!!!!!

On the mindless "how are doing?" greeting ... Others have noted that many such staff are required to say it, and it ends up coming out robotically. It's the mechanical beginning of the process of interacting with this customer.

Often, we're rushing, so our response is an equally unthinking "Fine" or even an irritated response, intentionally or otherwise.

A while ago, I started to make myself pause when hearing it, and then respond with eye contact and a sincere "I'm doing okay, how's your day going?" It's quite touching how much that acknowledgement that they're a real person too just seems to lift people.

blueruins

Tele-Meister
Yes, unnecessarily awkward is what it is. And, again, what gets me wondering is despite the obvious awkwardness of the phrase it's becoming ubiquitous....'Oh, so that's what we're all saying now so I guess I better start saying that too" is the impression I get...which in itself is also a weird thing to me. As I've stated at least a couple of times even more than the silliness of the phrase itself is the mystery of how rapidly it's getting accepted as a reasonable and desireable way to say 'have a nice day'. It's definitely born out of corporate speak and that troubles me as well....as I've said, at least several times, I have no issue with the sentiment driving the words and I always respond with a 'Thank you, you too' or something like that. It's interesting that so many in this thread want to portray me as a grumpy ogre who lays awake at night festering with rage about this....oh well, that's the kind of attitude that seems to have gripped a large percentage of 'internet people' these days. Have a nice day....
Yeah…I painted with too broad a brush and lumped you in with others who reacted to your post. I realize that your initial post was meant to be taken lightheartedly.

oregomike

Tele-Afflicted
FWIW, I dont think you're a grumpy ogre.
But, we are on page 6. ; ) I kid!

thankyouguitar

Tele-Meister
"Have a great rest of your day!"

It's becoming ubiquitous here at retail locations upon completing a purchase and leaving and now the vet's assistant who called me to remind me of an appt. for our cat ended our call with that sentence. This is a fairly recent phenomenom I think..like within the last two years at most where I live. Anyway, I hate it...it's just stupid and weird....and a strange twisted garble of neo-English. It's madness!! I can feel my brow furling and my fists clenching. We must unite to fight these forces of galactic linguistic evil!!
I say it all the time. XD