Do People Say This Where You Live?

Recce

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
I have some words I could write but I already had a post pulled because they said I was trolling. I wasn’t I wanted an answer to my question.
I write on a private Facebook sight. I almost always end with have a good day or weekend. Sometimes play some music. It is a sight for musicians which I barely qualify to participate in. Why you would take that as ugly is beyond me. Here is where the words would go where I would give you personal words. I prefer not to be banned.

dsutton24

Doctor of Teleocity
It's just a platitude, and it doesn't really mean anything. Anymore I'm amazed to get anything a notch or two above, "Pay up and git out."

Sparky472

Tele-Afflicted
We’ve become pretty intolerant of a lot of insignificant stuff, evidently. If we put that level of energy towards more impactful issues, maybe we could move the human race forward a few steps.

imwjl

Doctor of Teleocity
They mostly say, "have a blessed day" down here. What really grinds my gears is when I say "thank you" after a cashier transaction and they say "you're welcome". What happened to the representative of the merchant that I am choosing to do business with thanking me for my patronage of their establishment?
I've had some fun answering the "have a blessed day" comments knowing there are 400+ religions on our planet including the entheogenic ones.

Fretting out

Doctor of Teleocity
Platinum Supporter
No, not really

I do get “have a good night” a lot, usually around noon, so I guess the day is almost over…

tele12

Poster Extraordinaire
"Have a great rest of your day!"

It's becoming ubiquitous here at retail locations upon completing a purchase and leaving and now the vet's assistant who called me to remind me of an appt. for our cat ended our call with that sentence. This is a fairly recent phenomenom I think..like within the last two years at most where I live. Anyway, I hate it...it's just stupid and weird....and a strange twisted garble of neo-English. It's madness!! I can feel my brow furling and my fists clenching. We must unite to fight these forces of galactic linguistic evil!!
If it bothers you the proper response is :
"DON'T TELL ME WHAT TO DO!"

Kandinskyesque

Tele-Afflicted
On a really bad day that would be "like a Kafkaesque hellish waking nightmare".
Not too different from the source of my username.

Mrs K (actually her real initial) had a rare fit of empathy towards a situation that I found myself in.
While trying to verbally express this she saw the Kandinsky print behind me on the wall of the man cave.

Instead of empathically describing my situation as "Kafkaesque" (I definitely felt like Joseph K) she said "Kandinskyesque".

From then on it's been how I describe my daily state of being because there's no harm in adding a bit of colourful abstraction to life's daily inescapable miseries.

FuzzWatt

Tele-Holic
"Have a good afternoon"

Which afternoon? This one, tomorrow, some other one?

"Have a good rest of your day"

Oooooh they mean this day!

TheFuzzDog

Tele-Meister
One of my biggest bugbears is toxic positivity.

Not everyone can have a great day.

Not every day can be great.

Most will be average.

Stop being a moron.

Leave me alone.
I read this to the tune of “Bedazzled.” Try it yourself. It’s fun!

boneyguy

Doctor of Teleocity
I have some words I could write but I already had a post pulled because they said I was trolling. I wasn’t I wanted an answer to my question.
I write on a private Facebook sight. I almost always end with have a good day or weekend. Sometimes play some music. It is a sight for musicians which I barely qualify to participate in. Why you would take that as ugly is beyond me. Here is where the words would go where I would give you personal words. I prefer not to be banned.

I'm not sure if you're addressing me and my OP but if you are there is a HUGE difference between saying 'have a great rest of your day' and 'have a good day'. I agree that the sentiment appears to be the same but it's the mangled, stupid English that I find weird and repulsive....and ultimately meaningless if we ignore the intent. Let's all remember that the road to Hell is paved with good intentions....in fact I can imagine that 'have a great rest of your day' may be what is said in Hell to someone who arrives there.

boneyguy

Doctor of Teleocity
I don't see the issue. I mean, if it's 2 or 3pm, then it's a fairly reasonable thing to say.
The problem is the mangled English of the sentence....it's nonsensical and, beyond the intention of the strange word arrangement (and I understand the intention) it's a meaningless string of words. It would be reasonable to say 'have a good day' or something similar. And what's especially weird is how it's becoming ubiquitous. I just came home from Home Depot and a nice, very helpful young employee ended our conversation that way. It's a pandemic of nonsense words and masking up won't help!!

boneyguy

Doctor of Teleocity
'Have a great rest of your day'..

I've never heard it outside of a retail or commercial situation...it's become a sort of corporate jargon of sorts I think..corporate speak. There was an upscale hair salon/hair-cutting school in town here called Aveda that had their employees answer the phone with "It's a great day at Aveda!!..how may I help you?". You can help me by not engaging in bizarre corporate speak that you've been robotically programmed to say into the phone...that would be an excellent start.

oregomike

Tele-Afflicted
The problem is the mangled English of the sentence....it's nonsensical and, beyond the intention of the strange word arrangement (and I understand the intention) it's a meaningless string of words. It would be reasonable to say 'have a good day' or something similar. And what's especially weird is how it's becoming ubiquitous. I just came home from Home Depot and a nice, very helpful young employee ended our conversation that way. It's a pandemic of nonsense words and masking up won't help!!
You're over thinking it.

oregomike

Tele-Afflicted
'Have a great rest of your day'..

I've never heard it outside of a retail or commercial situation...it's become a sort of corporate jargon of sorts I think..corporate speak. There was an upscale hair salon/hair-cutting school in town here called Aveda that had their employees answer the phone with "It's a great day at Aveda!!..how may I help you?". You can help me by not engaging in bizarre corporate speak that you've been robotically programmed to say into the phone...that would be an excellent start.
I get it, but if I got irritated at every grammatical gaff, I'd be taking a dirt nap by now.
I've decided to pay attention to what I'm paying attention to. (Yes, this dangling preposition is okay.)