Do people really pay $1-2K for partscasters?

TellaStrat

TDPRI Member
Not that I'm aware of. Unless it's a partscaster made by the Fender Custom Shop!

One good way to do it for me was like this: I started with a really nice Squier with a nice paint job. Some Squiers are made of decent wood. The neck was so straight. The bridge and pots were a mess just cheap pot metal saddles, scratchy pots, etc. I had a set of Fender tuners from a Standard that I had replaced with locking tuners. Then I replaced the pickups with 51 Nocaster Custom Shop pickups and the control plate with a 902 Customs 4 way. I also had a decent bridge laying around. I replaced the saddles with high end ones and after rounding and dressing the frets I removed the Squier decals and serial number and replaced them with Custom waterslides that I clear coat and sanded in very nicely. Because the jack and pots were in so bad a shape I only paid about $50 for the guitar. Even with the new control plate and pickups I have around $400 dollars in the guitar. But it sounds and plays better than any Squier and the Custom decals are cool. The neck is perfect. It's a cool butterscotch blackguard guitar I will never sell. I'm sure it looks and plays as nicely as a $1400 guitar and yes I did put it together on the kitchen table. I believe it's even Ash. It resonates and sounds great and just looks killer.

TellaStrat

TDPRI Member
The Strat is a cool Squire with David Allen pickups and Custom wired pickguard. The 51 Nocasters in the "Squier" Tele and the David Allen Voodoo Custom 69s in the "Squier" Strat make great guitars out of these "Partcasters". Jimi would like the Strat. Not a lot of money but still very nice in my opinion.

Attachments

• 20200629_034425_HDR.jpg
    20200629_034425_HDR.jpg
    165.6 KB · Views: 14
  • 20200926_043312(1).jpg
    20200926_043312(1).jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 22

TwoBear

Friend of Leo's
A lot of Nash-Bash here, sad to see as they make a great guitar. I do think the Lollar pickups is what I liked along with superb set-up. I will buy a used Tele style if I can find an affordable one. Suhr is another name that comes to mind but seem very pricey, more so that Nash.
Some people will just never drive a kit car even if it is an AC Cobra replica.
Funny I’ve never known that Nash and Suhr were built from sourced parts. I assumed that they fabricated from in house, that assumption born from price.
I assemble, solder, set up, as well as anyone. I’ve been wanting one of those “brand” instruments for a while, I think I’ll put more time into designing my own headstock decal.

TwoBear

Friend of Leo's
The Strat is a cool Squire with David Allen pickups and Custom wired pickguard. The 51 Nocasters in the "Squier" Tele and the David Allen Voodoo Custom 69s in the "Squier" Strat make great guitars out of these "Partcasters". Jimi would like the Strat. Not a lot of money but still very nice in my opinion.

I’m just teasing but I don’t know if Jimi would do that brown/tan (unless in the shape of a Flying V) color.

TwoBear

Friend of Leo's
Do people really pay $1-2K for partscasters?
i beleive you mispelled "suckers", there is no P in sucker, its silent like the P in swimming pool.

Hey I use that ‘silent like the p in swimming pool’ or some variation all the time! where did we get that from, book or movie?

CCK1

Tele-Afflicted
For true partscasters, I don't know if people are paying $1-2k, but people are asking those prices every day. If the guitar is made from quality components, they would come out ahead by parting it out. Sort of like restoring vintage cars, you'll never get out of it what you have in it.

mad dog

Friend of Leo's
I paid a grand for a parts tele several years ago. Had everything I would have gone for had I built it. Glendale bridge/saddles, hard to find Don Mare pickups, inca silver alder body, fine RW board warmoth neck. Well worth the price too. I ended up selling the neck and using a cheaper one - roasted maple - that feels better to me.

My two favorite teles are both partscasters. This inca silver tele, and one I had built from parts I sourced. Both are perfect for what I do. Both with high quality parts, features I wouldn't find in any production guitar. Quality I seriously doubt I could get paying 350 for parts ...

BobbyMac

Tele-Holic
Gold Supporter
I paid just over $1000 for the parts of my homebuilt Rosewood Telecaster tribute guitar, which I assembled myself. I know I won't recover my initial investment if I sell it at some point, but I could never afford a "real" Rosewood Tele. Everything about this guitar is Fender made, except for the neck that Musikraft made for me to order. Here are a few pics.

DSCN4390.JPG
DSCN4391.JPG
DSCN4392.JPG
DSCN4393.JPG
DSCN4394.JPG
DSCN4396.JPG
DSCN4397.JPG
DSCN4398.JPG
DSCN4399.JPG
DSCN4401.JPG