Do people really pay $1-2K for partscasters?

schmee

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Not that I'm aware of. Unless it's a partscaster made by the Fender Custom Shop!

pi

Tele-Meister
Nash, LSL, and K-Line

I wouldn't call these partscasters anymore than I would call Fenders partscasters. They are reputable companies that have been producing high quality S and T style guitars for a long time. They're not selling parts, they're selling full guitars. I don't own any of them but I've tried a few Nash's and I wouldn't hesitate to buy one if I was in the market for a high quality relic (that I didn't want to build myself).

lathoto

Tele-Meister
I just completed my first Partscaster. When you work with high end components that you select, the sum of the parts greatly exceeds the anticipated quality of the finished product. I have 2K into the instrument and it would cost me twice that much to get something comparable from Fender. Now to sell it would be a sizeable loss (even more so than a new Fender) but I'll just play it and someday leave it to my son.

Valkyrie

TDPRI Member
I have about $800 in this first tele build of mine. I will say this, my factory fenders have flaws that I didn’t notice until I looked at them real close to see what I needed to do on my build.

my factory guitars both needed a fret level from the factory. They both needed the nut slots adjusted. Both have had to have the neck pocket shimmed (I dont use that adjusting g screw). Both guitars are great players and all but I had to work in them to get them were they should have been when they left the factory. For the 700-800 price difference I put together a guitar that is hands down a better build.

now it doesn’t wear a fancy silver logo. But for something that was cobbled together in a few hours it sure is nice. But then again, teles and strats aren’t really marvels of mechanical intricacy.

artdecade

Poster Extraordinaire
I wouldn't call these partscasters anymore than I would call Fenders partscasters. They are reputable companies that have been producing high quality S and T style guitars for a long time. They're not selling parts, they're selling full guitars. I don't own any of them but I've tried a few Nash's and I wouldn't hesitate to buy one if I was in the market for a high quality relic (that I didn't want to build myself).

Well, you can't call Fender a Partscaster because they build all their necks and bodies. Nash outsources. He assembles and makes them play great, but they are assembled from parts.

bgmacaw

Poster Extraordinaire
It looks like partscasters are also seeing a high demand, low supply price boost as well. A co-worker just sent me an email today about a modified MIM Tele, asking if it was a good deal at around $1200. That seems quite high to me but, who knows these days.

ab2012

Tele-Holic
LSL makes everything from scratch in their own factory. The price of partscasters have gone way up. I saw something I was interested in,but I will not pay $2100 asking price.

Sax-son

Tele-Afflicted
My two cents on the subject. Fender is the benchmark for what folks are looking for. However, to get something of top quality. be prepared to spend 2K and upwards. I recently finished a strat hardtail using top quality parts and the total came in at under $600.00. That is at least 1/3rd the price of an authentic Fender guitar. However, I couldn't tell you what the resale value of a partscaster would be. You would have to find the right buyer to at least break even. As far as a big profit goes, that's a tall order at best. I build guitars for myself and if I get tired of one, I am ok with breaking even as it is a fun thing to do.

GuitarsBuicks

Tele-Afflicted
One word..... Nash.
This Nash?:cool::lol::lol::lol:

91Hdw19DnjL._SL1500_.jpg

Golem

Tele-Holic
The way I phrased it clearly confused a few people here.
  • Nash has always made partcasters. I don't get how people I've never heard of can charge more than Nash.
  • K Line used to make partscasters. That's how he started out. As time has gone on he has eventually gotten to increasingly making things in house when possible. People are definitely asking more than K-Line partscasters go for but even the more recent used ones as well.
  • LSL, from what I understand, was doing everything in house as much as possible. But then he sort of chilled on that with a more recent less expensive line.
Anyhow, in all of these situations I don't get why some random person would put together a guitar from parts and charge more than these high end builders.

@John C I had no idea anyone made furniture in STL. But K-Line started with partcasters and I now realize my comments confused people.

ElJay370

Tele-Afflicted
"Do people really pay $1-2K for partscasters?"

If they've been screwed together on a kitchen table by some nobody with parts from eBay and Guitar Fetish? No.

If they've been expertly hand finished and assembled with quality parts by somebody who's managed to make a name for themselves in the industry by putting their instruments into the hands of a few high profile players? Yes.

Sax-son

Tele-Afflicted
I would never call Nash, LSL or K-Line partscasters. I understand them going for higher prices although to resell at higher prices, you have to target a specific audience who knows about those lines.

As for true partscasters, assembled and setup by someone in their workshop, I wouldn't pay $50 for one. In fact, if I see an ad for a Fender or Gibson that I like and it has any modifications listed, I immediately lose interest.

Bill Nash puts out a quality product. I consider him the reasonable "custom shop" guitars. As far as partscasters go, many sellers try to embellish the description of their guitar when you can plainly see that they are a MIM upgrade. I am not casting judgement on those guitars, but the dishonesty turns me off. Like selling a Squire or Epiphone and calling them Gibson's or Fenders. Give me a break, are you just looking for an ignorant sucker?

GuitarsBuicks

Tele-Afflicted
Bill Nash puts out a quality product. I consider him the reasonable "custom shop" guitars. As far as partscasters go, many sellers try to embellish the description of their guitar when you can plainly see that they are a MIM upgrade. I am not casting judgement on those guitars, but the dishonesty turns me off. Like selling a Squire or Epiphone and calling them Gibson's or Fenders. Give me a break, are you just looking for an ignorant sucker?

I mean, my partscaster plays and sounds better than some of the real custom shop guitars that I have played.

pi

Tele-Meister
The OP is asking about partscasters priced like Nash and LSL not Nash's themselves.
The problem is without a defining brand or model it's hard to track what they actually sell for.

I reread the OP's post more carefully At first I thought they were asking about "name-brand" partscasters, but you're right, they are asking about "no-name" partscasters going for "name-brand" partscasters pricing.

Yeah, to me this seems less likely that the seller will get their asking price. Usually better to just sell the parts.