1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Do pedals with an inherent "boost" bother you???

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by E5RSY, Dec 21, 2020.

1. Junco Partner

Junco Partner Tele-Meister

Doesn’t really bother me because I tend to only use effects for emphasis on certain lead/melody/textural parts anyhow, a little boost helps to emphasize that emphasis

czech-one-2 likes this.
  2. green_henry

green_henry Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Absolutely. I like my Boss BF-2 flanger otherwise, but the boost drives me nuts.

3. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

I agree it's annoying. Sold my micro chorus due to this. Great sounding chorus too.

4. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

Exactly. And that only serves to compound my frustration. :confused:

5. TwoBear

TwoBear Tele-Holic

How about a side chain loop with volume
    How about something like this I use a single one without a volume control quite often, I also had a Old valley arts custom made one that had two in one box with input output input output on one side and it sends and returns on the other. You could run it as 2 Separate loops, or it came with a small right angle patch cord that took the out of one and ran it into the input right next to it. I lent it to a friend and I don’t know what he did with it, But I’m putting together the parts to make one or two more upload_2020-12-21_20-32-25.gif To

Attached Files:

jddub440, Scooby Snax and E5RSY like this.
  6. TwoBear

TwoBear Tele-Holic

You could make it series or parallel with just a small switch instead of a patch cord and if you wanted you could put a boost or buffer in there also....there’s plenty of room, I guess depending on what enclosure used.

7. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

It just makes sense to have a level control on most effect pedals. This allows us, the musician, to customize the mix.

Grateful Ape, JL_LI and Askwhy like this.
  8. kennl

kennl Tele-Afflicted

another design consideration is power consumption
    Boss GE-7 EQ is often modded with a "low noise" op amp that cuts battery life drastically
    some players will live with the noise to extend battery life, while others need lowest noise possible

TwoBear and Si G X like this.
  9. DeepDangler

DeepDangler Tele-Meister

I’ve always sold pedals that did volume boosts/drops. Now I stick with just Boss pedals and haven’t had issues. Buffered bypass and every effect has a level knob (if necessary) so I can fine tune it for its position in the pedal chain or loop.

10. Phrygian77

Phrygian77 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Every circuit has a different input and output impendence. A lot of times volume changes happen because of an impedance change. This is one of the problems with true bypass.

11. Telewielder

Telewielder Tele-Meister

The boost that the Montavillian has didn't bother me until I put it after a FF type fuzz. So, no and yes.

telemnemonics likes this.
  12. mad dog

mad dog Friend of Leo's

Depends on the type of pedal, the level of boost, and how or whether volume is adjustable. I've had a couple delays that up the volume when on, no way to adjust. That does not work for me, so they're gone. A little extra shot of volume on a modulation pedal, by way of contrast, is welcome.

13. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

It certainly does bother me and can pretty much ruin a pedal, had easily a dozen old phase 90s and many had the vol drop.
    Most have a tiny boost.
    Flangers too often lose a little volume but it seems settings on flangers and chorus often change the volume higher and lower, so many are averaged. Fulltone Choralflange has a volume trimmer. Can't recall other phase/ flange/ chorus/ delay with vol pots.

Somebody mentioned the Boss tremolo and AFAIK the first batch of those had a vol drop then the rest have been fine.
    I think of it as a vintage pedal problem since today we have internet for mass complaints and brand names don't like the bad press.
    But some recent stuff seems to have drop or boost.

I have a loop pedal with a vol knob, and you could always put a low vol pedal in a loop with a simple boost pedal if you really like the main effect. I've considered setting that up with one or another vintage flanger since some are particularly great but los vol, not there yet though as flange I tire of.

14. dgabbear

dgabbear Tele-Meister

I find the slight boost very useful with my Boss Ce2. I also have an older EHX Small Stone Nano and wish it had a slight boost as the effect when it's on gets lost in the mix.

15. Chas3rd

Chas3rd TDPRI Member

yes

16. beeflin

beeflin Tele-Meister

My Kmise Vintage Phase is such a close clone of the Phase 45 that it too has an inherent boost. Similarly my Donner Jet Convolution has an inbuilt volume drop just like the Electric Mistress, which more than the phaser makes it impractical as an effect to switch on or off during a song.

17. czech-one-2

czech-one-2 Friend of Leo's

My old orange ROSS Phaser has a pretty substantial boost. But it works for me as I use it sparingly and want that dramatic swoosh when I stomp on it!

18. Socalsupermoto

Socalsupermoto TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

I appreciate my phase 90 minor boost as it corrects for the bass sweep and makes it overall neutral to my ears when played w the band

19. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

I’m bothered by inherent anything that nothing can be done about. I don’t need pedals with my Mesa Boogie Express 5:25. My guitars need the pedal. I use a 10 band equat, a BOSS EQ-200. I play clean except for a little edge from the amp. I roll off low frequencies from humbuckers for clarity. I roll off high frequencies from single coils to balance timbre for finger style. There may be a little inherent boost in the pedal because I don’t notice much increase in volume when I turn the pedal off.

I do, however, use the pedal for boost. I use the 5W amp setting with my SG. The 5:25 is harmonically brighter operating in 5W class A. 9dB on the intensity slider brings the volume up to where it would be at 25W. I have that profile saved in M3.

What’s inherent in this pedal is that it can be used to shape tone to my liking with all my guitars. Boost isn’t inherent as much as it’s part of a profile.

20. Gas4Teles

Gas4Teles TDPRI Member

I like it when pedals can be set at 12 o'clock and they do not add some enormous volume. My first OCD pedal always did this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.