1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Do not use silicone products on your guitar

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by markw51, Sep 2, 2013.

1. bob1234

bob1234 Tele-Afflicted

Again, redundancy. If you're not spraying on CLEAN surfaces, you';re doing it wrong, silicone or not lol.

2. Cat MacKinnon

Cat MacKinnon Friend of Leo's

i think you're kind of missing the issue. silicone on a clean, solid guitar finish usually isn't the problem. it's when it's applied to a cracked or checked finish and migrates down to the wood that it causes all kinds of issues. polishes that contain silicone also have the problem of getting where they're not supposed to be (ie, rosewood or ebony fretboards.) guitar polish shouldn't be sprayed directly on the finish anyway (it should be sprayed onto a polishing rag), but how many people do that? i'd wager that most people just spray it right onto their guitar...where a lot of it could end up where it's not supposed to. this is why techs and guitar refinishing pros avoid anything that contains silicone: you never know where it might end up.

this isn't hearsay; professional guitar techs and refinishers avoid anything with silicone like the plague. silicone on bare wood (or migrating down under a finish) causes all sorts of headaches...and once it's in the wood, it's almost impossible to get out. it's been known for a long time that anything containing silicone should be avoided, and every single book written on the subject makes a point to warn people about this. why any guitar polish manufacturer includes silicone in their polishes is beyond me, they really should know better. even Meguir's and 3M know to not put silicone in their professional-use products, because they know what a huge PITA it causes and that car painters hate the stuff. i think the only reason they put it in their consumer products is because it provides "instant gratification" when it comes to a high shine, and most consumers don't know any better.

when you polish up a new finish, can you absolutely guarantee that the silicone isn't getting into the pickup or neck cavities (where there's raw wood) and migrating under that finish?

3. bob1234

bob1234 Tele-Afflicted

Cat, that NEEDS to be whats going on here lol. If people are putting paint over something that has silicone on it, well they really dont need to be in the business anymore lol.

But also, you're not supposed to wax anything for weeks until the paint is fully cured after wetsanding and polishing.

These are all extremely moot points. On a guitar with poly finish, most off the shelf polishes and waxes would work great, silicone or not. If you're gonna repaint it, you should be degreasing the guitar anyway, so its again, moot.

If the premise of this thread is "don't paint over silicone based products", then I would have to smack my face in an epic facepalm. If its "dont use silicone, cuz silicone is bad", I have to say thats short sighted, and ignorant to most applications.

The best products are obviously going to be carnuba based waxes, but damnit those are expensive. 90% of all polishes have silicone in them, they arent evil.

So basically Im here scratching my head, wondering what applications we're actually discussing now lol. Silicone products have their place, Im just not understanding the wonton hatred for it o_O

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.