1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Do not use silicone products on your guitar

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by markw51, Sep 2, 2013.

1. markw51

markw51 Tele-Afflicted

Like Meguiar's Scratch X. Contains silicone. This from the Acoustic Guitar Forum:

From William Cumpiano, on Silicone;
    "Now silicones are really oils that never, never dry out. Now that could be a good thing, but that means that the stuff can "migrate" forever. You get some on your guitar, then on your hands, and you touch the table and leave some on the table, or the guitar leaves some on the case fabric, and then someone else touches the case fabric and carries some onto their guitar, and the stuff migrates every where and forever, because it just stays slick and sticky forever. For people who work on guitars, the stuff is hellish because NOTHING will stick to it, wherever it happens to be. Glue, finish, nothing. Whenever I see the lustrous, oily-slick, sticky film on a guitar from a well-meaning owner who has been persuaded that the guitar will somehow "die" or "dry up" because they're not lathering it ("nourishing it") with some commercial fingerboard oil or spray on guitar goop), I go into hazard-avoidance mode: I quarantine the case and take a roll of paper towels and disposable plastic gloves and wipe as much of the goo off as I can, and then go over the whole guitar with a good guitar "cleaner" (Martin makes one) and then toss all the paper and cloth debris into a plastic bag and ditch it. Then I wash my hands with soap and water. Then I start work on the guitar."

2. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Good advice.
    Thanks for sharing.

3. Elias Graves

Elias Graves Friend of Leo's

Indeed. Silicone is evil that won't go away.

4. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

When did Meguiar's add silicone to this product?

Is there a link to somewhere, where the Scratch X is definitively identified as having silicone? Because at one time, they were swearing it had none.

Everyone knows silicone is the devil, in terms of spraying coatings over it. And yet, I don't recall any personal difficulties involving use of it.

5. guitarzan13

guitarzan13 Friend of Leo's

+1
    I only spot repair and I clean the area with naptha/lighter fluid prior to the work. So far I have never had an issue. Am I just lucky?

6. Tim Armstrong

Tim Armstrong Super Moderator Ad Free Member

I've never had a reason to repaint a guitar, and I can say without hesitation that Finger Ease has gotten me through a lot of hot sweaty beach town gigs.

I'm not sweating it. ;)

Tim

7. SixShooter

SixShooter Friend of Leo's

Does Finger Ease contain silicone?

8. Phil_tre

Phil_tre Tele-Holic

The "new" Scratch X is called 2.0 and it's definitely not the same product... I
    have try it myself and the new one stay wet, not powdery like the original.

Phil.

[​IMG]

9. markw51

markw51 Tele-Afflicted

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?45379-Scratch-X-2-0-silicone-free

10. bob1234

bob1234 Tele-Afflicted

since like 1995... the stuff is intended to be a wax based filler for fine scratches. If you're trying to paint over wax, you have your own problems to sort out.

Silicone is fine, just be smart on how and what you use it, and you wont have any issues...

11. SixShooter

The response from Meguiars via the link above:

"ScratchX 2.0 is not considered to be a body shop safe product, meaning it does contain some silicone. M09 Swirl Remover 2.0 is silicone free (and therefore body shop safe) so it's going to be the better choice for you here. Another popular product often used on guitars is M07 Show Car Glaze - it's hugely popular as a gloss enhancer because it, too, is body shop safe."

12. SixShooter

What about Meguiar's Ultimate Compound? Does it contain silicone?

13. Edwin

Edwin Banned

For years I've cleaned guitars with Windex. It has no silicone. Dings and scratched I just live with.

14. bob1234

bob1234 Tele-Afflicted

I've been using meguiars products for years. Silicone or not, always comes out great.

The ultimate compound smells like cinammon and is a wonderful product to use.

I really have NO idea what the hell you guys are talking about. Here's the latest build. Used meguirs scratch removal products and applied a silicone and carnuba based wax blend on top. CLEARLY I must have ruined it according to the comments posted around here...

silicone on bare wood doesn't make much sense. If thats what you're implying; then whatever, thats just bad practice on any level. Silicone isn't this horrible culprit that spreads infinitely as you imply either. Your body's own sweat is far more foul.

[​IMG]

windex has ammonia (sans ammonia free stuff ofc) in it. Great for cleaning hardware. Bad for paint and HORRIBLE for bare wood. It oxidizes readily, and over time, will yellow paint, and turn light woods dark.

15. Edwin

Edwin Banned

That may sound good in theory but I've been cleaning guitars with Windex since 1968 after using Martins brand of guitar polish that made my guitar mungy after a couple of uses. A studio guitarist that lived in my neighbor hood told me about Windex and have used it ever since.
    No it didn't yellow the finishes. The finishes would yellow without Windex over time.
    No it didn't dry out my rosewood boards and cause the fret board to shrink and pop frets. If it does then it isn't rosewood.

To me it's just silly to waste money on a product that gums up the finish on an instrument. In my opinion. It makes them sound dead. But maybe that's what you want.

16. Badabing

Badabing Friend of Leo's

what about the nut grease..does that contain silicone???

17. blimpo

blimpo Tele-Meister

I used this on my repainted surf green tele and the result was very good.

I am not worried about the silicone residue. I'm never going to repaint it, and with all the outdoor gigs we are playing, my sweat will eat it off....

18. bob1234

bob1234 Tele-Afflicted

Do you use windex to clean your car? same concept. Your fingers do FAR more damage then windex ever would of course. And UV, smoke, etc will yellow the paint without windex, thats an "of course" thing as well. Just as a rule, ammonia WILL darken the wood. It shouldn't shrink the wood, especially rosewood. Rosewood would actually respond well to ammonia based cleaners actually.

I don't see how putting a thin coat of wax and then buffing most of it off will cause your instrument to "sound dead"... Thats pretty much the most absurd thing I've ever heard honestly. If you're getting it on your strings, then sure, it will gum up on the strings and then yes, we will have tone changes.

Tone voodoo doesn't stack up to actual science. Sometimes it coincides, but just because someone on the internet says so, does not make it true. Also, most of the time "car" polishes and waxes are SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper then "guitar" polishes and waxes, even though 90% of the time, they are the same thing.

Not trying to be a contentious, know-it-all brat, its just kind of irritating to see posts like this that have no real basis other then "because I said so".

19. CHUCKHDTV

CHUCKHDTV Tele-Holic

I talked to Meguiar's customer service and I had the exact same answer for the scratch X 2.0. They also told me that generally speaking, consumer car products contains silicones. Pro stuff does not. That 's what they call "bodyshop safe " .

For cars, the main problem with silicone is when you try to repaint a surface , you 'll get fish eyes on the finish.

20. Cat MacKinnon

Cat MacKinnon Friend of Leo's

i usually just use a rag or soft paper towel that's barely damp with water. if that doesn't work, diluted rubbing alcohol gets most everything else. if it's really nasty, naptha's always a good choice.

it shouldn't. a lot of them are mostly just petroleum jelly (Vaseline) with a bit of powdered graphite added. still, it's probably a good idea to double-check the manufacturer's website if you're concerned.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.