1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Do most non-musicians know a non-singing guitar player?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by emu!, Apr 20, 2012.

1. Jack S

Jack S Friend of Leo's

I think almost everyone knows the names Chet Atkins, Les Paul, and Eddie Van Halen (as mentioned previously). I am quite certain that some names are so well known that they transcend their art in popular culture.

2. Skub

Skub Poster Extraordinaire

Most of my family wouldn't have heard of the players you quote,though being believers in the sky fairy and the 'holy book' they could give you intimate details on any biblical character,because that's their narrow view of the world.

The point I make is,guitar players consistently overrate their importance,both in the context of a band and on a wider theme.

3. Ryan0594

Ryan0594 Tele-Holic

Who is Eddie Van Halen?! :')

4. Northerntele

Northerntele Tele-Holic

I think Les Paul is going to be better known with a much older crowd... My grandparents have his records but I think you would be hard pressed to find a young person who actually knows who the guitar was named after.

5. Jhengsman

Jhengsman Tele-Holic

It would almost have to be a band leader like Eddie Van Halen or Carlos Santana, notice their bands carry their names. Or a really unique sound like Niles Rodgers is known adding his rhythmic licks to Chic and many others into the early 80s even if he did add some vocals. Or perhaps when the guitar hero game was hot another generation picked up on some players, even if they were just characters to play with.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.