Do MIJ Donahue necks still come up for sale?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by KokoTele, Mar 22, 2019.

1. KokoTele

KokoTele Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Hi, guys. It's been a while since I posted here, so forgive me if I've missed this...

I'm looking for a MIJ JD Tele neck. These used to be on ebay and forum classifieds regularly, but I haven't seen any for sale lately. In fact, it seems that there are only a couple of the MIJ JD guitars available on reverb or ebay, and the prices are way on the high side.

Many years ago I foolishly sold the neck from my JD Tele to get a replacement, and now I'd like to find the original again.

2. Despres

Despres Tele-Holic

Can't really answer your question, but I will chime in to say that I love the neck on my MIJ JD tele. I haven't tried tens of thousands of teles the way many on this forum seem to have tried, but it is the most comfortable neck shape I've played, fender or otherwise.

SnidelyWhiplash likes this.
  3. KokoTele

Before I started doing guitar work, I sent my neck (or maybe the whole guitar) off for a refret because I liked bigger frets, and he talked me into just doing a setup because he thought it played fine. Unfortunately, what felt good to him still didn't feel good to me, so I followed the conventional wisdom of the time and sold the neck to buy one with specs I wanted. After a lot of years and trying a lot of guitars, I've figured out what specs really feel best to me, and they're more like that original JD neck.

I kinda want to put my old guitar back to the way it used to be.

4. BobbyMac

BobbyMac Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

Good luck on finding a JD neck. These guitars have been out of production for many years so the usual online take-off parts sellers just don't have access to them like the old days.

5. KokoTele

They used to change hands regularly. I guess everyone that wanted one found one and decided to keep it :)

6. kinkstah

kinkstah Tele-Afflicted

MIJ JD are fine guitars! I regret not having bought one when they were in production. The neck is a BIG part of it's appeal (as far as I'm concerned) : should I have one and decide to sell parts for whatever reson, the neck would be the last to go.

7. SnidelyWhiplash

SnidelyWhiplash Friend of Leo's

The JD neck is one of the finest that Fender ever produced.
    Is there an aftermarket neck with close to the same specs? :cool:

8. KokoTele

The Allparts TMO-V is close, but not quite as chunky.

9. mfguitar

mfguitar Tele-Holic

Great feeling guitar, I have been looking for a backup for years. I saw one at the local GC a few months back that was beat to hell, still only lasted a few days on the floor.
    Best of luck finding one!

10. superbadj

superbadj Poster Extraordinaire

I was thinking the TMO-V was similar if not the same. They'll vary of course, with some being a little chunkier than others. That's become my standard/preferred neck for my Teles/Esquires. I have a bunch and really love them.

Are you sure that the TMO-V isn't the exact same neck? The TMO-V is what was created for some mid-90s TL52s (I have a '96 TL52 and that's where I first ran across that amazing V shape), and obviously the JD body is like a TL62. I'm guessing (purely guessing) the guitar used those pieces: TL62 body, TL52 V neck (same as a TMO-V).

Good luck in your search! To me the TMO-V is the best thing on the market aside from truly custom-cut necks.

11. Rufustelestrats

Rufustelestrats Tele-Holic

Gc has Two used at the moment on the webpage

P Thought likes this.
  12. Racer5

Racer5 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

One of them is local to me, if the price drops again It's mine!

13. KokoTele

There are some old threads where people say that the MIJ JD neck is the same as the Allparts, but the JD is a bit thicker.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.