Do Med-Jumbo Frets work with a 7.25" fretboard ?

PCollen

Friend of Leo's
I suppose action would have to be higher than with a 9.5" fretboard, but significantly ? Just wondering about the possibilities. I've never seen or played a 7.25" fretboard with other than vintage frets, which I didn't care for.

MilwMark

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Incredibly common choice for refrets on actual vintage 7.25" radius Fenders. Works great. I think it allows for lower action on a vintage radius than those tiny vintage frets. But I'm not certain. Regardless, way easier to play for me.

Ironwolf

Doctor of Teleocity
Gold Supporter
Yes. Medium jumbos and 71/4" are what I used on the necks I made for my last Tele and Strat builds.

RobRiggs

Tele-Afflicted
I know it’s not exactly a Strat, but I believe the frets on the PRS Silver Sky are medium jumbo and it has a 7.25 radius. Plays like a dream too.

schmee

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Medium jumbo should be the same height as vintage. Roughly .046 depending on whose fret wire. So there should be no issue. They are just wider.

naveed211

Friend of Leo's
If I would’ve just went ahead and gotten jumbos on my 2011 AVRI Thinline, I might’ve kept it forever. Kinda dumb in letting it go, but I just couldn’t navigate the tight radius and small frets like I wanted to.

I did always wonder if a refret would’ve been the key.