Do I want an acoustic?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by 1 21 gigawatts, Feb 17, 2021.

1. GuitarsBuicks

GuitarsBuicks Tele-Afflicted

I have a Seagull S6 Rustic I got for $205 with a case that can match your $1000+ guitar pound for pound. It's one of my go-toos for comparison shopping. If the guitar cannot over power that S6 it's not even a consideration...sadly more Taylors have failed than you would think. Same for Martins and Gibsons.

2. GuitarsBuicks

I disagree. Start with one way out of your price range like top of the line, and one well below your price range that fits what you think you want. This gives you a theoretical base to build from as you now have both ends of the spectrum. If you like the high end one you can now look for something similar at a lower price. You may even be impressed with the lower priced one as it compares to the higher priced one. Then start comparing your next choice to both the top and bottom of the spectrum. That is how I found my first good quality acoustic.

When I picked out my first decent quality acoustic I started with a $6000 Taylor, and a $200 Ibanez. I went home with a $700 guitar...I just wish I knew then what I know now...I was much less educated at 12 than at 24 if you can believe it.

3. GuitarsBuicks

You will find that the more you play acoustics the more refined your ear will become. You will start to notice little nuances and differences between the different combinations of woods. Most often Spruce will have a looser sound than say Mahogany or Cedar. If you are looking at solid top guitars, look at the grain of the wood on the top, the tighter it is the more responsive it will be. just like with an electric that has a finish where you can see the grain. If you look at laminate top guitars (usually any Ibanez that is not an Artwood series will be laminate), they will often not sound quite as refined as a solid top guitar. My personal opinion is never, ever, ever get a composite guitar for your first acoustic. Always go for something that at least has real wood on all sides and the neck.

4. 1 21 gigawatts

1 21 gigawatts Tele-Afflicted

Luckily I had the acoustic room to myself yesterday, so I tried a pretty wide selection without paying much attention to the price. The Martin's and Taylor's felt like they were higher quality, but this honestly could have been biased since I know those brands are top of the line. They were all playable and all sounded great compared to playing my electrics unplugged.

Now that I know that I am not picky when it comes to acoustic guitars, I can sit around and wait for the right deal to pop up.

5. That Cal Webway

That Cal Webway Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

no

6. Delara84

Delara84 TDPRI Member

Ovation Thin Line.
    Plays well, built solid and sounds good unplugged yet has the electronics just in case you want to plug-in. Found mine for under $300 as seen shipped, on the site that “Reverberates”... It’s for playing between meetings and even during those 2 hour marathons...;) No regrets here.

upload_2021-2-22_9-15-3.png

Last edited: Feb 22, 2021
  7. GuitarsBuicks

I think you need to be somewhat picky or you'll end up with a guitar that you don't love and it will never get played, thus becoming a waste of money. You need to know what you want and find one that sounds good to you. Play many, many, more. As many as you can get your hands on. You need to see, hear and feel a difference before you buy one. Been there done that. Trust me when I say there is a difference and if you get one you don't like, once you are able to perceive those differences it will be something you come to regret. I am not trying to scare you, I am trying to speak from an experienced standpoint. Do not buy an acoustic guitar that you do not feel you have bonded with. If the sound and all the rest of the equation do not speak to you on a fundamental level that is not the guitar for you. Remember that all guitars are different, and that goes quadruple for acoustics. You can have three identical guitars made simultaneously, in the same factory, from the same batch of materials, by the same group of people, and they will be vastly different, even more so than three production electrics from a similar circumstance.

The way the top interacts with the sides, and the wood of the bridge, the neck, the fingerboard, it all adds up. If you know the sound you want then that is the sound you want to look for. Don't buy based on deals. Yes, that is nice when you can get one, but make sure you get the guitar that you want. Not the one that was on sale. Again, been there, done that. Huge mistake. That guitar is on sale for a reason most of the time. When I first started shopping for acoustics, long before I started with electrics (I have been playing acoustics since I was 7.), I almost bought one that had some major structural issues going on. It was on sale, met all of my requirements, and sounded amazing. I'm glad I didn't get it, it would have kept me from discovering my Seagull, which I bought used for a third of the price.

Honestly, I would tell you to go to your local mom & pop, and play some of their stuff. It will be really different from what you experienced in Guitar Center. For one thing, that acoustic room is climate controlled, your home office is not. They keep that room around 85% humidity all the time, 24/7/365. Also, that room is extremely sound-dampened, thus it does not provide you with a lively room, dampening the true tone of a guitar. Not as it would sound in your parlor, office, or living room. When you get that guitar home, it will probably deteriorate because of the extreme change in the environment, and a livelier room. Even if you live in the middle of the Everglades your humidity is probably not that high. A mom & Pop is less likely to have that environment because most do not have separate rooms for their acoustics and electrics because it's just not practical. If you only tested them in that climate controlled environment you are already putting a limiter on your experience. The open front stores and mom & pops that have a door that opens to the outside give you the best chance of getting an honest experience out of your shopping.

Long story short, if you need permission to take an acoustic out of the room it's in a store, that is not the place to be doing your shopping.

8. Billbot

Billbot NEW MEMBER!

Yes, do. I found myself playing acoustic again recently for exact the same reason. I just never plug in anymore... My lovely AC30 just sits in the corner gathering dust.

Not only has it strengthened my fingers to go back to serious acoustic playing for the first time since being a beginner, it's also given me a better sense of musicianship. I find myself striving to become the entire arrangement and own the whole song. I rarely find myself mindlessly noodeling away on an acoustic. I'm always playing or learning an entire song with a beginning, middle and end.

And better yet, the new finger strength and sense of musicianship means that when I do pick up my tele or LP, I barely recognise myself... I feel my playing has really improved. Go and get yourself a simple, full-scale, well-balanced dreadnought flattop all-rounder (mine's a basic $300 Cort), string her up nice and dive in - you won't regret it, I promise :)

P Thought likes this.
  9. Lance Morgan

Lance Morgan Tele-Meister

Yeah. Right.

That’s why all the greats play Martins, Taylors and Gibsons. I’ve got a D18, a J45, and a 610-L7. I guess I just wasted my money.

10. GuitarsBuicks

The point being, that you can only get a professional level guitar for over $3500? B.S.

I am just saying that you can get a Martin quality guitar for much less. I never said you wasted your money. If you like a guitar that has a name with a generational legacy go ahead and get a $1500 Martin, Gibson, or Taylor. Enjoy. There are many many guitars that cost less than a $1000 that are quality instruments.

I suppose my skills aren't worth of your instruments anyways.

11. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

Yes, you need an acoustic.

Get something that stays in tune and play it for a couple of months, then you’ll be looking at other acoustics just like you looked at other electrics.

P Thought likes this.
  12. NoTeleBob

NoTeleBob Tele-Afflicted

I bought a 3/4 size Ibanez Acoustic-Electric for my daughter when she was 3/4 size.

I love playing that guitar. I have my own acoustic (a Craviola) that I love but there's something that's just fun about that lil' guitar. Maybe it's the neck. I dunno. I never plug it in... I just play it acoustically.

I say you need one. Oh, and so does my avatar-sake (like a name-sake), Keef. He says the acoustic is where it all happens when practicing and figuring out new songs. Oddly, I think he plays one with six strings.

ravindave_3600 likes this.
  13. GuitarsBuicks

Amen!

14. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I've enjoyed reading this thread, all of it.

As I guessed before I started reading, you found strong consensus that you should get an acoustic, and very little consensus as to what acoustic you should get.

That is as it should be. Just get one. It won't be your last one.

15. Jeru

Jeru Tele-Holic

Yes. I just bought a fog-331 as a second to the sj-180. Great guitars, and you can find them very inexpensively if you are patient.

F2E0A0E3-0672-42E8-B8F9-13A302062615.jpeg

netgear69 likes this.
  16. 1 21 gigawatts

Strangely enough, my research about acoustic guitars led me to buy an SG. :lol:

In researching acoustics, I started looking at resonators. This led to trying out slide, which led to trying to determine which one of my guitars is best for slide, which led to buying an SG.

Still keeping my eyes out for deals though, but I got sidetracked.

17. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Poster Extraordinaire

Boy a SG would sure not be my choice for slide. There are too many sweet little acoustics that sound so good with a broken off wine bottle. However glad you found what you were looking for

18. 1 21 gigawatts

I'll still get an acoustic. I've been wanting an SG anyways, so it was an easy distraction to fall into.

Any style in particular that is good for slide (other than the obvious resonator)?

19. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Poster Extraordinaire

I play slide on almost everything in my collection but there are some things that I prefer. First I own three resonators so that is pretty obvious. I prefer guitars with wider flatter fretboards - my ideal is 1-3/4 nut and 20 radius which are just nice finger picking necks. I think a guitar that is biased towards the fundament makes a better slide guitar, therefore smaller body and less complex sounding. Some of the older smaller guitars are great for slide.

It is a fallacy to think that a slide guitar needs high action - I do fine with 60 to 90 thousands at the 12th fret. Strings depend on tuning - most of the time I play slide in open D or G or C and use light or medium gauge strings.

I think it is also a good idea to identify just exactly what you mean by "slide". Is it Delta bottleneck in the style of Bukka White or Son House? Robert Johnson? Modern slide like Leo Kottke? Duane Allman on a LP in standard tuning? How much do you mix fretted and slide notes? What is your technique (finger, dampening, picking style....)

Slide on in...

20. 1 21 gigawatts

Only been playing slide for two weeks now. Been playing on a LP Junior with 11s tuned to open G and my normal action height (I did raise the action briefly, but didn't like it). My desired style would be delta blues to Led Zeppelin (which is a copy/progression of delta blues). Of the songs that I have learned so far, there is a mix of slide and fretted notes. Playing with steel slide on my pinky and finger style. I have never played finger style previously, but it sounds better and has been more intuitive (my strumming sucks anyways).

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.