1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Do I want an acoustic?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by 1 21 gigawatts, Feb 17, 2021.

1. SRHmusic

SRHmusic Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Acoutic guitar is great, a whole different animal than electric (though you could use an unwound G string if you want for bending). An acoustic opens up a different world of musc, for example: cool Neil Young tunes, lots of Jimmy Page's stuff (Ten Years Gone, lots of open tuning songs like That's the Way), tons of Beatles songs. old blues and fingerstyle playing, etc. all in a way that can't be reached on an electric guitar.

I'd say to go for a real acoustic, not a thinline. Find one that really resonates and has good action. You might find a used Takamine out there, but everyone I know keeps theirs. Probably can't go wrong with the lower end Taylor or Martin guitars, either. (I never took to Yamahas, maybe they're better now.)

2. perttime

perttime Tele-Afflicted

^ This.
    It is different. different sound, different sustain, different feel. There's things that you can do on electric that are hard or even impossible on electric. And the other way round.

I've had great fun picking a song that relies on electric guitar (overdrive, sustain, even feedback) and trying to figure out what to do to make it sound interesting on acoustic.

SRHmusic likes this.
  3. Captdan61

Captdan61 TDPRI Member

Trust me you need a 12-string acoustic you need a banjo mandolin you need a banjo ukulele probably an electric sitar six drinks bass The Squire bass 6 is terrific probably a baritone guitar just in case parlor guitar just in case probably some kind of small body Martin or maybe a Santa Cruz a Taylor most likely one of the higher grades if you have either a Les Paul junior or a gold top with P90s a Les Paul Standard with humbuckers 3:35 or 3:30 with P90s then you need to Telecaster the Stratocaster you'll need another Telecaster with a be better cuz you might want to play some country and then you need a lap steel cuz you might get into that then you probably needed oboro or some kind of resonator need I go on

P Thought likes this.
  4. Modernelove

Modernelove Tele-Meister

I would get an acoustic, but I wouldn’t expect it to play like an electric. Acoustic guitars play different and that’s part of what’s cool about them. I’d go with a dreadnaught it’s the gold standard.

but if playing similar to an electric is important to you I had an ovation that had a similar neck, but remember the strings are going to be much bugger so it’s going to be different

5. Turtleneck

Turtleneck Tele-Holic

Yes, you need an acoustic. Nothing else will scratch that itch. I have had 20 something Martins, but the 00-18 is what I play the most now.

Telecasters, and small body Martins are all I'll ever need.

Until that recurring GAS issue I live with pops it's ugly head up again.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2021
    fishermike likes this.
  6. scottser

scottser Friend of Leo's

An acoustic guitar is pretty essential, I reckon. If you have one you'd play it and it'll lead you down a different rabbithole - finger picking and slide, alternate tunings etc.
    Or if not, get a pignose guitar - those things are great fun.

SRHmusic likes this.
  7. Tdurden032

Tdurden032 TDPRI Member

I’m down to two acoustics (Martin 000 and a fender cutaway) - I think that I couldn’t not have an acoustic option just to noodle on from time to time but with a house full of light-sleeping young kids, it’s headphones only for me currently. I’d get one if you haven’t already - if you don’t like it, you can always sell it or trade up to something else, etc.

8. jonpowl

jonpowl TDPRI Member

Another suggestion might be to buy a Django Rheinhardt "Gypsy Jazz" style guitar. They generally play faster than most traditional acoustics and have more of an electric feel. Django's music is mostly post Dixieland and pre BeBop, but there are no real limits. The top 5 players are Bireli LaGrene, Stochelo Rosenberg, Fapy Lapertin, Angelo Debarre, and a hundred other guys for #5. In the US, John Jorgenson, Gonzalo Bergara (my favorite) and Paul Mehling of Hot Club of San Francisco (the godfather of gypsy jazz in the US) are some of the most popular. Once started, you will really want to learn the style and will probably want to practice and hour or so daily. There are tons of free gypsy jazz lessons on the internet, Djangofests in different states, including Whidbey Island, Washington; Django in June in New England; and our very own in Berkeley and Mill Valley, California. If you write one of the best players on Facebook, they will probably answer. You will learn how to use the "rest stroke" for lead and "le pompe" for rhythm. Most soloing is done using arpeggios and chord shapes rather than scales. You will finally learn how to use the mystical diminished scale and chord if you haven't already. GJ guitars are readily available at djangoguitars.com or djangobooks.com. An Altamira M is a great starter guitar at around $700 at DjangoGuitars, talk to Tommy Davy. Eastman makes a few GJ guitars that are quite nice for around $1000. The nicest thing about GJ, is that there are frequently women in the band on guitar, clarinet, violin or vocals.

P Thought likes this.
  9. Tom Grattan

Tom Grattan TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Older Martin 0-18. Martin has started to put these out again. I haven't played a new one but mine is just a great guitar. Able to keep up acoustically and has that wonderful unmistakable Martin chiming tone. The smallest 0 series. My other acoustic is a 1952 Gibson L7C acoustic with floating pickup.

10. atoms

atoms TDPRI Member

Esquire Jones likes this.
  11. Jimclarke100

Jimclarke100 Tele-Afflicted

Acoustics are totally their own thing, and yes you need one, even at the expense of one of the electrics.
    The sound from an acoustic has its own texture that is absolutely different from an electric and to me that is essential. If I had to trim down likely the last two to go would be one of my Teles and my Martin.

There are plenty of acoustics around now that play almost as easily as an electric - Taylors, Yamahas, Takamines are great examples. Faith offer fantastic playing and sounding guitars for the money (though they may be more a UK brand. I have a Faith 12 string that plays easier than some 6 strings I’ve owned.

graybeard65 likes this.
  12. MyLittleEye

MyLittleEye TDPRI Member

I second that
    The Jim Dandy's a great little parlour guitar which just begs to be carried about, snatched up and played. It feels great in the hand and has a vintage bluesy vibe going. Mine gets a lot of love when I take it to informal sessions. Even folks with much fancier guitars are reluctant to give it back! It has a newer sibling called the Gin Ricky. Same guitar but with a deltolux soundhole pickup pre installed.

Esquire Jones likes this.
  13. graybeard65

graybeard65 Tele-Meister

I recently scratched my acoustic itch with a Taylor GTe - smaller body, huge sound, and typical Taylor playability. I really appreciate having an acoustic around the house!

14. Twang Deluxe

Twang Deluxe Tele-Holic

I would get a Martin LXM

15. 1 21 gigawatts

1 21 gigawatts Tele-Holic

I'm going to go to GC tomorrow to test drive a few. The Jim Dandy is probably the leader in the clubhouse at the moment. It looks cool, is a Gretsch, and the price is right.

Just to throw you guys for a loop, I tried playing slide for the first time yesterday and really enjoyed it. Would this change the decision?

16. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Poster Extraordinaire

I told you to come over to my house and try some things out

IMG_2509.JPG

The quick answer to your question, there are cheap resonators but they are inferior. Best to budget at least a grand and we should talk more.

Next, resonators are somewhat limiting, its nice to have one in the quiver but it would not be my only acoustic.

Third, you can (at least I do) play slide on any acoustic guitar out there. They will have different voices but any guitar can be a slide guitar (and it doesn't need an excessively high action). Most of the time you mix slide and fretted notes, the guitar should be able to do both. Again, if you came to my house we would try a few of these in open tunings

IMG_5636-1.jpg

Take your slide with you when you go shopping, don't be afraid to retune (always down), try everything you can. Report back

P Thought likes this.
  17. turfdoc

turfdoc Tele-Meister

Get a parlor style, short scale, with a neck that suits you. You dont need a Taylor or Santa Cruz to get a good instrument. Some of the Guilds and Washburns are very good; even Epiphones can be suitable.

18. Warren Pederson

Warren Pederson Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I have a fair number of acoustics, a really cool guitar I picked up as a travel guitar is a Recording King Dirty 30’s parlor guitar. It fits easily into an airline overhead. I put a jjb pickup in it and found a real nice tiny case made for a Godin

19. 1 21 gigawatts

1 21 gigawatts Tele-Holic

I've come across many used parlor guitars that all look to be the same make from various brands. Made in Japan, tailpiece bridge, "steel reinforced neck", nice striping on wood (Stella copies?). Cool look to them. Are these good guitars, or would a new Jim Dandy be better?

Last edited: Feb 20, 2021
  20. CJM3309

CJM3309 Tele-Holic

I have been looking at the FS800 for a while for my son. He is getting more into guitar and the specs and price look great. I own a lower end Yamaha classical and really love it.

What are your overall thoughts on the FS800? Do you have the natural or burst color?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.