1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Do I Want A Tweed Bassman?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by crawdad, Mar 31, 2009.

1. crawdad

crawdad Tele-Afflicted

Please bear with me here. I'm gonna send you to a clip from some 13 years ago. Little tiny dive bar--middle of nowhere. We made about $40 each and all the beer we could drink. Obviously, I took advantage of the perks, so forgive my adventuresome nature.

This rig was a Rivera 60 watt rack head into four very questionable PR 10 style tens. TS and a Wah at points. Strat. The head had reverb, but I could pass on that.

I don't think I could get this sound from a blackface amp. I'm thinking I might get it from a tweed super, twin or tweed bassman. If you wouldn't mind listening to the clip, maybe you tweed folks could tell me if I am looking in the right direction. I like the sometimes wiry twang and organic sound from this night and I would like a different amp that might get me back to this sound.

Whadda you think? (not my playing, but the SOUND)

The track is "Blues Jam" and its the first one at the top.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=167505&content=music

2. wierdOne

wierdOne Tele-Holic

I'm not sure if YOU want one... but the rest of us would LOVE to have a tweed bassman.

3. wierdOne

wierdOne Tele-Holic

after listening to the clip... I'd say you could get that tone from quite a few possible amps...

if you just want the guitar plugged straight into an amp... a tweed (i'm guessing) bassman would probably do it just nicely...

4. stantheman

stantheman Doctor of Teleocity

Nice track Crawdad FWIW.
    If that's what You love I'd start looking for a Tweed Pro Clone - a 5E5.
    Useable in ANY situation.
    That is all.

5. crawdad

crawdad Tele-Afflicted

Thanks for the answers, guys. I'll check into the tweed pro too.

I'm thinking that perhaps a big part of the tone I'm looking for is an amp driving inefficient speakers to the point of total compression--where they just can't put out anymore. Its not so much amp overdrive--its speaker saturation, if there is such a term.

But, heck, we should all have a blackface AND a tweed amp, right? :D

6. Brad Miller

Brad Miller Tele-Afflicted

I think you COULD get that tone from a Blackface amp. It is not thar far from Buchanan's vibrolux sound.....

7. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

yup. I think you could get there from a super too.

8. Brad Miller

Brad Miller Tele-Afflicted

Ah yes.......I got a silverface Super Reverb that could get that sound.

9. crawdad

crawdad Tele-Afflicted

I've been twiddling around with my Allen Old Flame, since the Super Reverb was mentioned. I may have something reasonably close. Good call.

I always played the Old Flame totally clean, but diming the volume and pulling back the master gets reasonably close.

10. stevieboy

stevieboy Poster Extraordinaire

Old Flame has a raw control doesn't it? Maybe it's not what you're looking for, but crank that up and it gets you into tweed territory.

11. crawdad

crawdad Tele-Afflicted

Yeah--if you use a smidge of it, it gets you in the ballpark. You lose some tone control function and the amp can get pretty bright anyway. A little raw makes the tone controls work about like old marshalls--very little variation.

However, it is another idea to play with. Thanks for reminding me!

12. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

crawdad, a Super REverb with CTS Alnico's will go there. With a STrat, you will need just a bit of 'drive form a boost/light OD pdeal. The Old Flames that I have heard will get nowhere close to that for me. If you haven't heard the reason why I say that, then the Old Flame just might do it for you with the right speakers.
    I agree that the speakers are probably a big part of it....those Alnico's compresson the high end and sing a bit better than some seramics, ime.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.